chain timing ticking

shushu

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys
hope u guys gonna understnd me well with my broken english
2 weeks ago i got fazer 600 05 that run 60,000 km thil now.
my chain timing ticking and its freaking me out.
sometimes its ticking and sometimes its not.
examples:
1. its ticking in a low rpm and low gears but not all the time, usually when the engine is hot. when the rpm goes high its gone
2. when its on N its ticking but not all the time' when im squeeze the clutch the ticking gonne. again usually when the engine hot.
the guy that check it for me ( a professional mechanic) said that he can hear it but there is no reason to be involved with it now, only realy later on.
i talk with some guys that knows this engines and they said that its a problen that know with those motorcycle models.
what u guys think?

b.t.w im new here my name is shushu im 28 years old from israel, nice to know u guys, happy to b here.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the noise stops when you pull in the clutch lever, it could be something related to the clutch assembly and not necessarily the cam chain.

Just something else to consider.

In my experience, I can't recall the FZ6 having cam chain problems specifically ...

Good luck to you, welcome to the forum! The Fazer/FZ6 is a great bike. Sometimes I am tempted to purchase a different bike, because these days there are so many great motorcycles out there. But then, I go ride my FZ6, and I instantly remember what a great machine it is.

I still have my FZ6. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site,
If you use the search function there are lots of discussions about this noise.
My bike is the same year as yours. I have the ticking from about 3500 rpm to 4500rpm then its gone.
Yamaha UK investigated the problem and said it was noise coming from the injectors. I changed the cam chain tensioner just in case but it did not fix the problem. My bike is running fine and I'm not worried about it.
A number of riders identified that the clutch leaver was rattling at certain RPM, maybe this is your problem?
If it was my bike I would try to identify the problem.
A few threads for you to read.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/sear...9:h2j023-8xi0&cof=FORID:9&q=cam+chain+ticking

Nelly

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha UK investigated the problem and said it was noise coming from the injectors.

Yamaha UK investigated the problem and said it was noise coming from the injectors.

I was wondering why you say the tick is the injectors every time! I guess this explains it. I have this to say: take a card board tube like those used in the core of a role of paper towels (maybe even tape two together for added length) and place your ear on one end and direct the open end around areas like the headers, valve cover, timing chain, transmission, lower crankcase and INJECTORS! When done, tell me which one you really hear with out the aid of the tube to your ear!

Repeat this whole thing with a long screw driver and actually touch the tip to the suspect areas and hold the blunt handle part to your ear. Again, get this thing all over the running engine and injectors.

Report back what area is the loudest after isolating the different sounds. IMO the injector clicking is so faint (like a 1) compared to noise at the headers, cam/valaves, timing chain, timing chain tensioner, and crankshaft (all like 5 - 10s noise wise)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:Shushu!

The FZ is known for this noise and it is sometimes corrected by replacing the Cam Chain Tensioner or (CCT) There may be other worn parts (guides) that add to the noise. Here is a link to the parts numbers 6, 11 and 12 on the pictorial. Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2005>FZ6ST FZ6>CAMSHAFT CHAIN

Again welcome to our great forum! :D

+1 on the above and welcome!

The tensioners do fail on occassion and when they do, its bad. It will make a racket and IMHO, wouldn't put it off... You don't know how the previous owner treated the bike...

The tensioner is under $100.00, labor, maybe an hour...

There are posts here on how to install it yourself, kinda tight but very do-able.

If not, have it changed out for piece of mind... Cheap enough insurance....(and a lot cheaper than a new engine)

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My experience has been very similar to Nelly's, though from the other side of the pond. every time he posts, I feel like I could simply +1.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33585

At times I think it's more on the right, others on the left. Have used the ole paper towel roll method as well as one of the very fancy listening rods in an attempt to truly isolate to no avail. really seems to be on the top end when idling, but can't pinpoint at speed, obviously.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know on my old KLR with a worn cam chain rattling, it echoed thru out the entire engine, very difficult to pin point.

Pulling the tensioner out (letting it unwind) and seeing how far away from the case it NOW sat, would give an idea on if the chain was loose (if the tensioner was fully extended and would go fully up against the block, something, usually the chain was worn out).

The below picture shows the tensioner fully entended, with the NEW CHAIN installed. Quiet as a mouse with the new cam chain...

Previously, the tensioner was maybe 1/16" away from the block..

With that said, the KLR did have a chain 3x longer than the FZ, 28,000 miles at the time on the clock...

Last edited:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would add, my bike (an American model 2007), which I have owned since brand-new, has always had a lot of what I presume(d) is/was cam and valvetrain noise. It's a noisy engine especially at idle and low RPMs.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I was wondering why you say the tick is the injectors every time! I guess this explains it. I have this to say: take a card board tube like those used in the core of a role of paper towels (maybe even tape two together for added length) and place your ear on one end and direct the open end around areas like the headers, valve cover, timing chain, transmission, lower crankcase and INJECTORS! When done, tell me which one you really hear with out the aid of the tube to your ear!

Repeat this whole thing with a long screw driver and actually touch the tip to the suspect areas and hold the blunt handle part to your ear. Again, get this thing all over the running engine and injectors.

Report back what area is the loudest after isolating the different sounds. IMO the injector clicking is so faint (like a 1) compared to noise at the headers, cam/valaves, timing chain, timing chain tensioner, and crankshaft (all like 5 - 10s noise wise)
My noise doesn't sound like a slack cam chain or tapping valves. I have actually used my stethoscope to try and find the noise but its bloody dangerous when riding.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In all seriousness I was so convinced that the top end was about to go bang I hounded the dealer until they agreed to get a Yamaha UK tech involved. The intermittent ticking was driving me bonkers, especially as a friend also had the same year bike and it didn't make a noise.
I also got assurance that if the bike did go bang as a result of the cam chain it would be covered in the warranty.
The top end was taken down and valve train checked, cam chain and guides etc. Everything was within spec. They only replaced the cam chain tensioner to see if it would make any difference. Which it didn't.
Having said all of this, I haven't heard the ticking in a long while. Maybe its because I have switched off to it or because I use Tesco synthetic oil? I don't know?

Nelly

NorcoT

Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience with Yama's unless the noise is really bad then its not an issue.. My XJ Diversion used to rattle and vibrate all over the place but i ran it to 60,000miles and sold it and its still going! My FZ6 also has rattles when idle and the noises when the engine is hot, not been an issue so far.. Just make sure it has a regular service, if your really concerned take it to a dealer for reassurance.

Good luck :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted above, the tensioner will go out before the chain needs relacement. Its not unusal for the noise to echo thru the engine making pin- pointing it difficult.

If the noise is new to the bike, IMHO, I would replace at least the tensioner. Its cheap enough insurance. Should the chain jump a tooth or two, you now have major problems..

Also, when you pull the original tensioner, with it fully extended, see how far out, from the block, each surface is. This will give you an idea how much chain stretch/guide wear you actually have, ie, if its almost flush, fully extended, you have other parts worn. The tensioner will only go out so far, other parts need to be in spec for everything to work properly.

Nevermind, three month old thread...

Last edited:

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,it's an old thread,but I don't want to make a new one about the crazy sounds of fz6:)) maybe someone will spot my question, I do get a bit different sound. When bike is running I'd doesn't make any weird noises,even when it's worm and even when I rev it, once I'm accelerating I get sort of tapping sound, like tap tap tap and for couple seconds and the it disappears,only in 1st and 2nd gear in low rev range, and it sounds as it is coming from my rear wheel. I had the same sound like a month ago for 2 days and it was gone until today. I was wondering is it something different or the same thing,as I'm not sure how other bikes sounds,and because its only when I'm driving I can not record a sample. Should I be worried about it and get it checked?Everything else seems ok, it's 26k miles on a clock 2005, the chain and sprockets seems in good condition, looks like the previous owner had it changed.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,it's an old thread,but I don't want to make a new one about the crazy sounds of fz6:)) maybe someone will spot my question, I do get a bit different sound. When bike is running I'd doesn't make any weird noises,even when it's worm and even when I rev it, once I'm accelerating I get sort of tapping sound, like tap tap tap and for couple seconds and the it disappears,only in 1st and 2nd gear in low rev range, and it sounds as it is coming from my rear wheel. I had the same sound like a month ago for 2 days and it was gone until today. I was wondering is it something different or the same thing,as I'm not sure how other bikes sounds,and because its only when I'm driving I can not record a sample. Should I be worried about it and get it checked?Everything else seems ok, it's 26k miles on a clock 2005, the chain and sprockets seems in good condition, looks like the previous owner had it changed.

:welcome: to the forum!

Sounds like your drive chain is binding up under load (worn) or too tight. It should be set around 2" TOTAL up and down play at the taughest part of the chain, on the centerstand... I would check it after a good cleaning and lubing. Pay attention to any binding links NOT straightening out, that's a tell tale sign of chain problems...

Check your manual on how to check the chain.

Also check under the front sprocket cover (3 bolts). The stock Yamaha sprocket has a black "plastic" ring on it. If the sprocket is worn, the chain will have worn grooves into the plastic. You shouldn't be able to pull the chain away from the rear sprocket either.

Last edited: