Chain Cleaning Methods

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a cheap hard nylon brush then a rag with some kerosene. I use repsol chain lube. It depends where I ride how much I do it, after dirt roads or a day along the coast I clean it up. With normal riding I hit it once a month. I like it clean. I tried chain wax but didn't like it. Too messy and dry looking for me.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I like pickles, it stands to reason my bike does too!

Anyways, some people really make a chore out of this.
Just use kerosene, as most chain manufacturers say it is oring safe. Farmers and such have been doing this for decades. Use a long bristle nylon brush and just brush it on and let it flow off.

I just wish they still made the old style lube for chains. It was a a solid lump and you heated it till it was a liquid. You just set the chain in it and let it soak for a while. Simple as pie.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I don't 'clean' my chain, per se, but just wipe it off with a rag.

Always do it with the chain warm, after riding 60kms home from work.

I have used Maxima Racing Lubricants Chain Wax (pic below) for the last several years.

Ride home, wipe the chain, squirt the Chain Wax in between the o-rings, wipe any excess (if any) off, let sit for 30mins to 'set up'.

Absolutely no fling, and I do this every 500kms - 800kms (I use tip meter 2 to gauge this)

My chain is as clean as the day it was fitted, as the wax doesn't attract dirt as it's essentially 'dry'.

I have tried the *new* and *improved* teflon product from the same manufacturer and the bloody stuff flung off EVERYWHERE!

So, I figured, why re-invent the wheel - use what I know works, and my chain is now more than 30000kms old (to be fair, 20000kms of that was with the previous owner), and still well within the adjustment specs.

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thats the stuff Ive been using too, I love the fact its nearly always clean, and the wheel is too apart from when I had the spray nozzle aimed the wrong way:spank:

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
ride it around the block a bit to get the chain warm
Spray it down with WD-40
scrub it with a grunge brush, tried the old toothbrush before but it takes forever.
wipe it down with a rag
Let it dry for a bit, generally about half hour.
spray it with motul chain lube.
good to go for another 500ish kms.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I really only clean the chain when I clean my bike. I'll douse it in WD-40, scrub it a bit then hose it down. Follow up with this amazing lube. DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant. Nothing else. Ever.

xDavidx

Overlord of the Universe
Reaction score
Visit site
I really only clean the chain when I clean my bike. I'll douse it in WD-40, scrub it a bit then hose it down. Follow up with this amazing lube. DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant. Nothing else. Ever.

That is the same thing I use, just in a different package.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
im using a chain cleaner spray , and any plastic bristle brush ,
i follow the manual and lube every 500 miles

MitchellsFZ6

Truly obsessed with bikes
Reaction score
Visit site
I wash my chain once every 2 weeks?
Usually I cover about 100 Miles a week.. So once every 200 Miles I should imagine :)

1) Find a nice rag.. Usually some ageing boxers with a hole in or two ;)
2) Put a piece of card between the wheel and the swing arm (This stops the oil, **** and grit getting onto your, I HOPE, clean wheels and tires ;) )
3) I usually use 2 or 3 different light wire brushes, this gets most of the **** and old chain oil off.
4) Then soak the chain in WD40 and leave for 5 minutes, let it work its magic, thne wipe off the excess and scrup till your hearts content with the wire brush
5) Use a nylon brush to get the lighter muc off and then apply more WD40 and wipe with the boxer shorts (im sure you're thankful for the cardboard now ;) )
6) Repeat until you feel satisfied :)

I'm at 11,000 Miles now, usually used once a day, every day of the week, to get to and from work in all weather conditions, I've never once had an issue :)

MitchellsFZ6

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I just pour some diesel on a rag and get to cleaning. Chain always comes out looking like new. I usually go out for a ten minute ride then spray on some DuPont Teflon spray. Ive had the bike since new so I don't let it get to the point of needing a brush to clean it. I'm not too particular about my bike being clean but I'm pretty anal about the chain!

I usually do this every 500 miles, sometimes a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I don't 'clean' my chain, per se, but just wipe it off with a rag.

Always do it with the chain warm, after riding 60kms home from work.

I have used Maxima Racing Lubricants Chain Wax (pic below) for the last several years.

Ride home, wipe the chain, squirt the Chain Wax in between the o-rings, wipe any excess (if any) off, let sit for 30mins to 'set up'.

Absolutely no fling, and I do this every 500kms - 800kms (I use tip meter 2 to gauge this)

My chain is as clean as the day it was fitted, as the wax doesn't attract dirt as it's essentially 'dry'.

I have tried the *new* and *improved* teflon product from the same manufacturer and the bloody stuff flung off EVERYWHERE!

So, I figured, why re-invent the wheel - use what I know works, and my chain is now more than 30000kms old (to be fair, 20000kms of that was with the previous owner), and still well within the adjustment specs.

Cheers,
Rick

The maxima chain wax is the only lube I've used on the FZ I get to it between 500-1000 miles or right after riding in the rain.

Anyone but me like the smell of this stuff? I don't spry it on a rag and sniff it or anything, I just like the way my garage smells after lubing my chain. I'm sure I'm not the only one.......:scared:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just don't accidentally spray your headers/exhaust!

Still a 'nice' smell, but will get you wondering until you realise what it is!

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
My new method works really well, and is as follows:

1. Pour some kerosene into a small bowl
2. Liberally apply kerosene to the chain with an old paint brush
3. Vigorously scrub with a grunge brush (3 sided brush)
4. Thoroughly wipe dry with a cloth
5. Rotate tire and repeat on next section of chain
6. Once all done give the chain a few more good wipes with a new towel
7. Ride bike for a few miles to get chain warm
8. Apply lube/wax from the inside of the chain

For lubricating, I use Maxima Chain Wax and love it! Little to no fling and lasts.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
easiest way i find is to take the back wheel off, bike in neutral and use a bowl and a rag, either using kerosene (parrafin) or chain cleaner

be careful of using a brush, your might force some dirt into the seals

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
The maxima chain wax is the only lube I've used on the FZ I get to it between 500-1000 miles or right after riding in the rain.

Anyone but me like the smell of this stuff? I don't spry it on a rag and sniff it or anything, I just like the way my garage smells after lubing my chain. I'm sure I'm not the only one.......:scared:

I thought it was just me, but yeah it smells good.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I like the way the Dupont Chain Saver smells, is it similar? I've never smelled the maxima stuff (but maybe I should :) )

I cleaned my chain for the first time yesterday after having the rear tire replaced. I asked the guys at Livingood Motorsports what they use to clean chains and they told me WD40 and a rag. I sprayed the chain and wiped (scrubbed) with a rag, it worked great at getting the chain clean - even after 11,000 miles of road stuff (I have 18,000 miles on the bike). I spray the Dupont Chain Saver stuff on every 5-600 miles and after it gets wet, but this was the first official cleaning. I guess that's a testimony for the chain saver spray!