Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a tool for that? I just used a sawzall and two hammers when I replaced my chain. :D

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a very similar looking one, think I finally broke it after I used it a second time to replace a chain. Main problem is the pin snapping or bending when you push the rivet in or out.

A digital vernier calliper is also needed to set the flare and width correctly. And dremel or angle grinder to help get the chain off.

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to grind the head off the rivet with an angle grinder, flush with the face of the chain plate, before you can push the pin out.....

If the tool punch pin breaks when you've ground off the head of the rivet, you're either crooked or it's cheap sh!t metal.

I have a motion pro tool I've used in a shop for 3-4 years / 30+ chains, and the pin is still intact.:thumbup:

Reaction score
Visit site
The kit that I had for the last bike worked fine, although it was used for just one time.
I sold it to someone on the YZF forum, and he broke the tip on his first attempt :spank:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I always grind the head off first. Got the spring stuck in there the first time I used it too, but managed to pull it out with some pliers, and didn't really need it after that. The tolerances seemed a little loose which might have caused the pin to bend