WTB/Hire/Borrow Chain Breaker/Riveter

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day Guys and Gals,
As part of my 520 conversion I am hoping so borrow/rent a chain breaker/riveter please. (in and around Adelaide)

A decent one will cost too much for the limited use it'll get - and I need it to break my 530 chain, and then break the 120link 520 chain to 118links and rivet a new master link.

If you can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Angle grinder, for grinding off the mushroom-head factory rivets I have, but why, pray tell, do I need verniers?

If you're referring to the spread of the master link rivets, apparently the Motion Pro chain breaker/riveter wont allow you to over-torque the rivets.

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rick,
These are on sale here for $39.00! Don't know if you guys have Cycle Gear there or how shipping would go.

I bought this tool (on sale) this year and never needed it till a few weeks ago when one of out members was doing a coast to coast trip (stayed here at our place) and needed a chain replaced. The kit worked great! The breaker pin just pushed the original link pin out without a hitch.
STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY Parts & Accessories - Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool Kit - Cycle Gear

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the same exact same tool motogiro posted up that u can borrow but i doubt its worth the shipping back n forth from NY

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rick,
These are on sale here for $39.00! Don't know if you guys have Cycle Gear there or how shipping would go.[/url]

Thanks Moto, but according to the site, it'll be $49.99 shipping....

As I'm a night-shift worker here in Oz, I'll just wait until everyone wakes up. (in about 2hrs from now!)

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Moto, but according to the site, it'll be $49.99 shipping....

As I'm a night-shift worker here in Oz, I'll just wait until everyone wakes up. (in about 2hrs from now!)

Cheers,
Rick

LOL! Okay you need it now! :p

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I bought one.

So, as there is obviously a shortage of these in Oz, if anyone needs to borrow it, just let me know.

Cheers,
Rick

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday Rick,
A bit late, but i purchased one from Torpedo.
Inexpensive, however I haven't had the need to use it yet. So its untested but looks good for the job.
I'd offer a road trip to sydney, but its a bit of a haul for a chain change! :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I bought one.

So, as there is obviously a shortage of these in Oz, if anyone needs to borrow it, just let me know.

Cheers,
Rick
Which one did you buy?
I have a DID tool which I will be using on Sunday. I'm concerned about over torquing the mushrooms though.
Sportrider did a good video on how to use one but it would seem it has gone from the site?

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Which one did you buy?
I have a DID tool which I will be using on Sunday. I'm concerned about over torquing the mushrooms though.
Sportrider did a good video on how to use one but it would seem it has gone from the site?

Neil

If you have the DID KM501E tool you CAN'T OVERTIGHTEN the master link. I just changed out mine, snuck up on the demensions with a caliper and ended up cranking the tool fully down for the correct spacing.. Excellent tool IMHO, damn near fool proof..

DID KM501E Sport Cutting and Riveting Tool - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Last edited: