Chain adjuster help!!!!!

Dannyrose1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys haven't posted in a while because I've had brilliant problem free riding
But today I went to adjust my chain because I had this weird wooing sound accelortating and at about 20mph I suspected it was the chain being a little loose so I set off adjusting the chain did the one side (chain side) and started doing the other (brake side) and the retaining bolt came loose fine but the adjusting one the one with the thread, was stuck solid it twisted a tiny bit but it's stuck I tried everything wd40 sink in for an hour and still nothing now the bolt is a bit rounded off... Grrrr a replacement is only a few quid but any ideas how to get it off I can't heat it up (too much paint to ruin)
Anyone else had this?

Cheers for any advice
Dan

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To start with, I hope you've loosened the pal nut first. If that thread is in fact seized in the swing arm I would Pull the axle and drop the wheel out of the way for better access. There are sockets for the situation you're in. Drills, Drivers, & Bits | Drill Bits | 5-Pc BOLT-GRIP™ Expansion Set | B223004 - GlobalIndustrial.com
Penetrating oil and dead straight on shock to the head of the bolt. and then heat the swing arm using a blow dryer or heat gun, keeping temps below paint damage. It may take a couple of tries, letting the area cool while adding penetrating oil and more shock. Warm it back up and try again. Be patient! Done right you'll not damage the swing arm and be able to replace that bolt.

Good luck! :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Must be an S2. Agreed with Cliff, remove the axle to gain better access to the bolts.

I would also use something other than WD40 as its not terribly efficent IME... PB Blaster, if available would work much better...

You may also have some grit in the block adjusters jambing up with the swingarm / the swingarm "BLOCK" and caliper alignment bracket. Remove all of that and tap the axle back with a block of wood (or remove)

Worse case scenerio, if the holes strip out, tap and heli-coil.

Last edited: