Center Stand

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my '07 FZ6, I didn't realize they originally came with a center stand (mine had been removed), so I started looking for one. I didn't wanna pay $150+ for a new one, but found a used one on eBay for $40, including the springs and bolts. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or know of any gotchas I should look out for when installing it. Thanks...

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
There's definitely one gotcha that I remember reading about here but I can't find it. Something to do with the spring... I don't think you can just put it all together because the heavy spring wants to push the stand above the point that it rests at in the up position.

There's a trick to it - someone will be by shortly to provide. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak specifically for the FZ but we did put a factory centerstand on a BMW years ago.

The trick (at least on that bike) get the hardest accessable bolt started first. Then attach the spring. Use a ratchet type MC tie down (I made a special bracket for his, threaded all rod) and attach it to the spring side (right side) of the CC and to the rear part of the bike(end of the swingarm?). Start cranking down and pull the stand back (against the spring, stretching it) until the mounting hole lines up. Install the bolt. Done,

Another option, if you have any automotive drum brake tools, there's a spring installation tool. Basically its about a foot long, hardened steel and the end is grooved to fit over a pin (so it doesn't come off). If you have (or can borrow)this tool, install the both bolts for the stand. Set the spring on one of the pins and use the tool for leverage to get it over the other pin. You could likely make a temp tool like this out of 3/8" smooth steel rod, just put a notch in one end to go over the pin.

Last edited:

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, not sure if I still have my brake tool for the spring or not (quit working on my own cars years ago), but if not, I'm sure I know where I can borrow one. I'm taking next week off, so hopefully will be tackling this as well as my headlight mod. Thanks again....

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
if you don't pay attention and put the brackets on backwards, the stand will not come down.......not that I know from experience.... :rolleyes:

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was able to get the stand on, thanks guys, but the spring is another matter. My bike already had a post for a spring (right-hand one), but it wouldn't work and the bracket that came with the stand (left-hand one, which is the right one according to Partzilla) needed some work to get to fit, but I got it on. However, there is no way the spring will reach, plus it will rub big-time when the stand is up. Could someone post a picture of the center stand spring setup for a 2007 FZ6? Thanks....

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never mind, I found a picure and the one bracket goes OVER the post of the second bracket! *sigh* Oh well, so it goes.....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, and the smaller end of the "elongated" hole (the flat plate) faces forward, which is actually on the pin once assembled.

It would seem, you attach the spring to the CC, the spring to the one regular hole in the plate. Then pull (or use that brake tool) to get that plate over the pin..

BTW, my 07 has one spring inside another..

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, mine has both springs, but I couldn't get the spring anywhere near the pin, so I removed it and put the plate in its place, after reaming it out some to make it fit. Even then I couldn't get the spring to stretch that far. My only fear now is the stand may rattle a bit, since in reaming the plate, I've reduced (albeit it not very much) the spring tension. I figure if it does rattle, I'll just order another plate. It's less than $2 on Partizilla, but the shipping will probably be 5 times that. The whole thing will still end up being way cheaper than a new setup. Next is bd43's headlight mod. Sure hope I do better with that.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, mine has both springs, but I couldn't get the spring anywhere near the pin, so I removed it and put the plate in its place, after reaming it out some to make it fit. Even then I couldn't get the spring to stretch that far. My only fear now is the stand may rattle a bit, since in reaming the plate, I've reduced (albeit it not very much) the spring tension. I figure if it does rattle, I'll just order another plate. It's less than $2 on Partizilla, but the shipping will probably be 5 times that. The whole thing will still end up being way cheaper than a new setup. Next is bd43's headlight mod. Sure hope I do better with that.

The BD43 isn't hard to do, just take your time and follow the directions and pictures. Its NOT physically demanding..