Center Stand

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first got my FZ I wanted to remove the center stand because I never had one on my other bikes and didnt think I would miss it, and I have a couple of swing arm stands. I ended up putting it back on after a day and I am very happy I did. I use it all the time now! Way easier and safer to put in on the center stand then to use the swingarm stand. Its really convienent for washing the bike, cleaning/lubing the chain, changing the oil, and just parking it in the garage for the night. I was pretty nervous when I put it on the stand for the first time, but now that ive got it down its really easy.

As a side note- that spring is a PITA to put back on.

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
Just so everyone knows, I was able to get it on the center stand after looking it up how to do it on YouTube. I realized I never put the bike straight up (was always a degree or two off center). But now it goes up easily.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Its like one of those jokes, just can't get it up (someone else says), thats what she said... lol!:BLAA:

My first bike was a 82 Honda Nighthawk 650. Cool bike by the way, still miss it. Anyway I was afraid to put it on the center stand for a year. My dad showed me how to do it, so I tried it. I dropped it right in the garage! Got it the next time though!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.779359,-91.205856

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually just grab the handlebars and front brake, put right foot down on stand and yank back. Cant do it any other way! :don'tknow:

I heard people take the center stand off for track use. Is that the norm/recommended?

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya'll are making this way too difficult.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcEcDCKP_7I]Fizzer Center Stand - YouTube[/ame]

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it that way sometimes. Sometimes I'll grab the left handlebar with my left hand, and right hand on the grip. Then use your left foot and push straight down and pull straight up with your right hand.

I learned on a Katana though. That bad boy is pushing 700lbs, so the first time I did the FZ6, I nearly put it over backwards. Lifting the bike off it's side is the same kind of thing. It's all technique. If done right, I've seen a 90lb woman pick up a goldwing off it's side.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I do it that way sometimes. Sometimes I'll grab the left handlebar with my left hand, and right hand on the grip. Then use your left foot and push straight down and pull straight up with your right hand.

I learned on a Katana though. That bad boy is pushing 700lbs, so the first time I did the FZ6, I nearly put it over backwards. Lifting the bike off it's side is the same kind of thing. It's all technique. If done right, I've seen a 90lb woman pick up a goldwing off it's side.

Katana was my first bike and the memory immediately pops into my head is how you just could not stop that thing from falling over once it started. It was massive lol.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As a suggustion, put all your weight on your right foot on the centerstand pad(while holding the left hand grip with your left hand and left passenger bar grip with your right hand). Your foot/weight should be doing all the work and should come up easily once done a couple of times.

The FJR is the same, just a bit heavier.. (I'm approx 180 lbs)

Well said. Same way i do it. . . Tho I admit, I lift on grab rail while pulling back.

I'd say it's safer than pulling from the rear grab rails (not holding onto the left bar) as the front could steer itself and possibly lead to a spill. Heck, I even do it bare foot. Its about timing and intent. Give 100% for 1 second or 50% for 10seconds and fail.

Plus keeping the center stand is weight down low closer to center of gravity. Ditch the 2 up foot rests and keep the center stand :thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Katana was my first bike and the memory immediately pops into my head is how you just could not stop that thing from falling over once it started. It was massive lol.

Yeah, and then until someone shows you how to lift a bike properly, it takes 3 people to get it back up. When I bought it, it didn't run so I hauled it home in my truck. Getting it out, we laid it over in the back of the truck. Didn't break anything, but we had no clue how to lift it.

Thing ran great for a few months after I rejetted and cleaned the carbs out. And fixed the choke circuit. I didn't have a speedometer, and if it got too hot it'd start pissing oil on my leg. But it was a great learner bike. I dropped that thing so many times and never broke the fairings.

If the Suzuki place still has any in the crate, I may pick one up come this christmas. Awesome touring bike.