Center Stand

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a lot of people who remove the center stands on their bikes. I love my center stand! It's great for cleaning up the bike after a ride, storage through the winter months, and when on grass or other soft ground situations. I also have a hockey puck to put under the side stand. I'll never remove the center stand.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
what's the greatest motivation for removing the center stand ?

i use my center stand whenever i put it in my garage (aka whenever i don't use my bike for a couple of days) and for maintenance etc. and find it very handy to have...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Simple chain maintenance would be a nightmare on the road without a centerstand! I don't understand why people remove it either...you can barely see it, it can't weight but a few pounds.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. Maintenance is a breeze with the center stand. I also have to have my bike propped up straight in the garage because I park it between a lifted jeep and my civic and we still need room to walk by.

I will say the bike definitely looks better without it, though.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. Maintenance is a breeze with the center stand. I also have to have my bike propped up straight in the garage because I park it between a lifted jeep and my civic and we still need room to walk by.

I will say the bike definitely looks better without it, though.

Were you offended by the civic thread? Lol

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.779405,-91.205860

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Not really, but I did have to defend myself! Haha, I saw it just a bit ago, and had to throw in my two cents. I love my car! haha

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a peculiar thing to do - I've done it for a few friends who can't do it on their bikes. Most important thing is balance; holding the bike upright on level ground by the bars, put weight on left foot and stand on left side of bike. Use right foot on centrestand tab, and transfer ALL weight to centrestand after pushing it to the ground. Bounce on your foot and pull back on the bars to get it off the ground, then enjoy the balanced bliss.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Its actually funny, today i took my bike to the shop to put on a new tire and they use the center stand on the lift and loved it :BLAA:

They were all wondering why every bike doesn't come with one. My girl wants one on her z750 but i dont think its possible.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
I can never get the bike on the center stand without help from someone else. I'm not a weak or small guy either.

i couldn't do it if my life depended on it when i first got my bike as well.
Once you learn how you redistribute your bodyweight vs the bike it goes like a breeze, it's not a mather of force it's just technique

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
it hits the ground plus i need to save every gram for faster vstreet racing ;)

I throw it back on when changing tires or doing other major maintenance in the garage (take 45 seconds maybe as there is no need to torque down the bolts).

I don't really clean my chain when on longer rides...chain has almost 3XK miles on it FWIW

would be nice to have it on there but i'll pass.

My ktm has one and its up and out of the way and i love it.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I share your pain :-(

yeah at times I would love one, but I read somewhere that the foot lever on the stand sits pretty high and your heel hits it. Might not be an issue with different rear sets

Pranqster

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah at times I would love one, but I read somewhere that the foot lever on the stand sits pretty high and your heel hits it. Might not be an issue with different rear sets

Totally does. not a big deal though, don't even really notice it

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
my fz6 naked here in Greece didn't have a center-stand too ...

so I bought one from another rider for 90euros, and I love it! I'm never gonna remove it!

1st time I tried to lift my bike caused me major back pain for a week and was a total fail. The next week I asked my bro how he lifts his bike and he explained to me the technique and now I can lift my bike like a toy!

It's all about technique...

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When i bought mine, it didnt have one, but after swapping head bearings and having to use a bucket, I figured i definitely need one. As it happened, there was a part-out listed on this forum, so i was able to get a center-stand for.... ready? $15 :Flip:
I actually use center-stand quite often when i park during the day - the geniuses in the town where I live decided that two standard car spots (not adjacent) should be enough for motorcycle parking, so the space is tight. I have an advantage of being one of the first to park my bike, but i want to make sure i dont take more space than absolutely necessary.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can never get the bike on the center stand without help from someone else. I'm not a weak or small guy either.

As a suggustion, put all your weight on your right foot on the centerstand pad(while holding the left hand grip with your left hand and left passenger bar grip with your right hand). Your foot/weight should be doing all the work and should come up easily once done a couple of times.

The FJR is the same, just a bit heavier.. (I'm approx 180 lbs)

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6N in Australia doesn't have a centre stand :(

The two FZ6N in my family here in Colombia do have center stands :BLAA::D locally fabricated by a guy is a magician for that stuff, and WAYYY BETTER than the OEM ones, don't even drag or are really noticed.

Will post pictures this weekend

Cheers