Carb vs. Fuel Injection

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Heya Party Peoples,
So I haven't posted in close to 8 months because I'm spending entirely way to much to riding around. Good times. Anyway, onto business...

I'm thinking about stepping up to a fz1, and found a good deal on a fz1 circa 2003. Only issue is that it's carbed. That being said, are there any major advantages to going FI?

Let a brother know,
KG

Crotalus

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert, but...as I understand it, fuel injection is more fuel efficient. This is because FI does a better job of providing the optimum amount of fuel for the outside conditions (altitude and temp). I believe FI is acutally requires less maintenance.
The downside to FI is that it is more expensive to work on and more complex.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A few drawbacks of carbs is that they:
1) require a "choke" or an enrichment circuit when started on cold mornings
2) parts can become dirty and require cleaning
3) tuning can be time consuming with aftermarket jets/needles or even with just periodic maintenance (float levels, idle air/fuel mixture, etc)

But other than that, once they warm up, I think they perform just as good as fuel injection. As a matter of fact, I actually found my old Maxim to be smoother off the line than the snatchy fuel injected FZ6. On the other hand, on the Kawasaki ZX6R, the fuel injection is very very smooth as well, so I guess it depends on how advanced the fuel injection system is.

The Pheasant

Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one on the above. There is some evidence that a motor with carbs is more economical than a comparable motor with FI; seems to be the case with the various models of Fireblade and R1 for example, going by reports.
On the other hand, modern injection systems seem to be completely reliable in all conditions. I call that an advantage.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
Good replies so far, all bringing up good points. But let me over simplify the difference between the two from an operational point of view.

Think of a, or a set of carbs as a...well, toilet. When you drop the lever you get a flush. The same basic thing is true of carbs. Very little flow (no more than is required) at 'normal' operational levels, but when you drop the 'lever' you get a huge load of fuel more or less all at once. Depending upon many factors when comparing the two systems, a well set up carb'd bike in that instance will feel like it is out performing an average or poorly set up F.I. bike because F.I. systems meter fuel in a linear and smooth fashion. Which isn't to say that a well set up F.I. system can't or won't out perform a well set up carb system. Not at all. Which is better? Tuners that are smarter and better than most of us will be arguing that one for quite some time. But the general consensus seems to be that a well thought out F.I. system is superior overall to most carb set up's.

But for the purposes of your question I'd say if the carb'd bike is in good shape, you can get a deal your happy with and you like the bike, I wouldn't let the fuel delivery system be a consideration in the decision.

Bruce

W

wrightme43

carbs are cool.

can be fixed in your garage unlike most FI problems. I would not hesitate to buy a carbed bike at all based on it having carbs.

You will just have to remember to drain the bowls when its going to sit for a month or more.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my last bike was carb'd and it was very cold blooded, if it was cold out then it would be a PITA to start. once warm it ran fine though.

Also FI has a quicker throttle response, but i found that the carbs made the old bike a bit smoother as it was a linear fuel air mixture and the computer couldn't inject more air or more fuel at different RPMs.

All in all there is nothing wrong with a carbureted bike, just gotta get used to it and learn how to clean the carbs once or twice a year and you are all set

:thumbup:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel injection makes cold starts much easier. Also, the computer monitors different sensors and adjusts the air/fuel mixture based on temperature, air pressure/ elevation, and load. If you ride in different elevations and temperatures, this ability to adjust "on the fly" means your engine is always properly tuned.

Good fuel injection systems require very little maintenance, though they are more expensive to repair and often require professional service. Carbs however are quite simple and can be torn apart with simple tools and can be rebuilt on your kitchen table.

Given both induction methods, I'll take fuel injection everytime.

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
I think people above have managed to do a pretty good job identifying the advantages and disadvantages of carbs vs FI. So I will just say this. . .

In regards to the fz1, I know that the FI system on the current generation has been the subject of some debate because it is not as smooth as most of the old fz1 owners had expected. I know a couple of people who had the 2005 or earlier, and then test drove a used 06 to see if they wanted to upgrade. Both of these people decided that it was a 2-3 thousand dollar lateral move. Thinking that while the convenience and low maintenance of the FI is nice, their old carb editions were just smoother.

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the info guys! Really appreciate it! Great responses... Much to consider... but thinking about what Ironman wrote, I think I just may save a ton of money and go with the early gen fz1.

Good lookin out fellas,
KG

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel injection has the potential to be more efficient, smoother, and more trouble-free than carbs. That potential is not always realized. So yes, test-ride the options and see what you think.

M'self, I'll take a good fuel-injected bike over a carbed one any day - but not all FI bikes have it sorted, and not all bikes that I want are available carbed. So I have three carbed bikes and three FI bikes in the garage. The three carbed bikes are all race bikes, I should note, so the PITA of mucking with the carbs is sort of absorbed in the PITA of the intense love and maintenance they all need. I doubt I'll have another carbed streetbike, as the FI options are so good now...

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all... I have a similar question. Please post in my thread though. The question is basically can I swap the ecu of an 04 with an 06 and up (probably not 07 because the added other sensors?) to take advantage of the better fuel mapping. If there is another fz6 owner in San Diego I would be interested in just plugging the 06 ecu in the 04 and seeing if it works. Otherwise it's $110 on ebay. (I'm not sure how much of a difference the fuel mappings make either way) Let me know and thanks!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/14079-2004-fuel-injection-upgrade.html#post178381