Car driver afraid of motorcycle?

Champ1978

Reaction score
Visit site
I was on a long windy road stuck behind a car driving 35 miles per hour where mostly people go over 50.

I was 4 cars back behind the driver and there was a row of cars back as far as I could see about 10+ and there was nobody in front of him and I could see about a half a mile in front of him on some parts of the road.

The driver passed 3 turns out without without pulling over.

I managed to get behind this car. The driver speeds up to around 45 miles per hour then 60 mph then pulls over at the next possible opportunity in an erratic motion.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was on a long windy road stuck behind a car driving 35 miles per hour where mostly people go over 50.

I was 4 cars back behind the driver and there was a row of cars back as far as I could see about 10+ and there was nobody in front of him and I could see about a half a mile in front of him on some parts of the road.

The driver passed 3 turns out without without pulling over.

I managed to get behind this car. The driver speeds up to around 45 miles per hour then 60 mph then pulls over at the next possible opportunity in an erratic motion.

I can't speak to this guy, but I have a friend who drives a Ford F-350. Damn near one of the biggest personal vehicles on the road, and he is terrified of motorcycles.

He told me the other day that he checks his mirrors more often when a motorcycle is behind him than if a cop were following him. He knows if he hits one he is very likely to cause a lot of damage, and if the rider isn't wearing proper gear he may kill the rider. My friend wants no part in any of that (obviously) and so he gives motorcycles a wide berth.

It is understandable when we see people riding recklessly and lane splitting in areas where it is not legal (49 states) or at extreme speeds, that cagers may frankly be afraid of riders.

We just need to keep promoting things that make riders safer, and less threatening to cagers. Things like MSF, ATGATT, and Hi Viz gear.

Slightly off topic. My area (Baltimore/DC area) usually has Motorcycle awareness messages up all of May on electric road signs unless there is an accident/emergency. This month? nope, click it or ticket messages. This really upset me, personally I love Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, and think that it is well positioned (May) for most areas of the country. Seeing the messages along with increased riders on the road helps remind cagers to double check blind spots and whatnot. (Not that most cagers check there blind spots even once around here, I swear Baltimore/DC has the worst drivers in the country, and I grew up driving in Boston).

Ok, that's the end of my Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month tangent. Ride safe all!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish more people were like that guy. I wonder if most car drivers just look at motorcyclists like some kind of rapidly moving animal that will dent their car door more than a deer.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the person. Had someone pass a car and get very close to me head on yesterday. (I had to slow down to give him enough room, but they also got a giant middle finger!)

But getting on the interstate yesterday I popped the front wheel up and the car 100 feed or so ahead of me grabbed brake and shot to the shoulder.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Might be they are remembering that friggin' incident in New York last year between the Land Rover & those biker punks and now they're scared of motorcycles.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Doubtful they even heard about it and that's all we need to discuss about that incident or we start another 20 page war.

Last edited:

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the person. Had someone pass a car and get very close to me head on yesterday. (I had to slow down to give him enough room, but they also got a giant middle finger!)

But getting on the interstate yesterday I popped the front wheel up and the car 100 feed or so ahead of me grabbed brake and shot to the shoulder.

Did you accidentally pop the front wheel up or did you do it on purpose? :eek: