Can't stop thinking about a liter bike

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, the bike is plenty fast after 8k rpm, it's a freaking fast tbh, but keep riding like that and it drinks petrol like it's nothing. Below 8k rpm it's slow, slow to a point I'm not comfortable overtaking cars, so every overtake it's shifting way down which is good, not being lazy on the gears will make one a better driver overall, but the bike screams so much then! Everyone turns their heads to see who the lunatic is lol!

I don't also imagine cruising on this thing at 80 mph, with 17T sprocket maybe, but with 15T the rpm would be what.. something around 7k, maybe 6.5k with stock 16T? Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't noted that, but rpm at 60mph is around 6k with 15T in 6th gear, that's way too stressful to hear.

I find the FZ6 great around town and a liter bike... YES! But most likely not for speed, you are all correct - nonsense on the street, rather more torque and a friendlier tourer? Maybe something dual purpose would be great, like BMW F800GS or even R1200GS.

This is turning abit OT for what this started, but it's the bar right? :thumbup:

I thought (still do) that the fz6 was fast. I ran the 15t front sprocket as well.

If I was to get another bike I would love the Ducati multistrada. I love those things but they are out of my price range :(

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Low down torque might be what your looking for, try riding a triumph triple (any of them) or maybe a 1k twin (sv1000 springs to mind) different power band for sure, smoother I guess

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I absolutely love my '09 S3. 1050cc's, I keep up with the guys I ride with (cbr1000rr's) until we're over 100 (no farings on an S3), and the power delivery is butter smooth. You have all the torque you need at any point in the RPM's too. They're way more comfortable than the cbr1/r1/gsxr1/etc too, I can put way more miles on my bike than any of the other guys. Did I mention it's the best hoon bike out there? Wheelie machine.

This is on the older 955cc S3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V89P_zuTdg]Kevin Carmichael burns day 2004 - YouTube[/ame]

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I base my sensation of speed mostly around other cars, don't know how it's in the states, but here almost every cager feels like he's got something to prove to a bike, either by not moving to a slower lane to let me pass or accelerating from a stop light to try to come in front. I don't care about these things when I'm in my car, but on a bike, most of the time I don't like being "taken".

Just today some volvo tried really hard to keep up but at peak RPM I walked him. However I feel if I was on a faster bike I would have destroyed him.. I have destroyed plentiful of audi a6's and even a bmw 750 though.

I'm yet to meet a car that beat the FZ6 tbh, but some cars can keep up even if you're in the right gear.

Another thing is overtaking at high speed. Going WOT at high RPM is good on the FZ6, but after 100km/h I'd like a bigger surge thus more confidence, now I tend to follow cagers for too long waiting for the perfect spot.

This post is all wrong. You said you're 25, correct? Please change your attitude on the street, or you won't live to see 30.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
This post is all wrong. You said you're 25, correct? Please change your attitude on the street, or you won't live to see 30.

I know this might have come of as if I want to be the fastest thing on the road but that's not really the case. I understand what you're saying and would say the same thing reading stuff like that.

Thanks for keeping a cool head and saying this in a polite way!

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this might have come of as if I want to be the fastest thing on the road but that's not really the case. I understand what you're saying and would say the same thing reading stuff like that.

Hurry up and get a liter bike. The obviously want one and second guessing yourself is only wasting time.

Get a S1000RR. You will have track control which allows you literally to slam down on the throttle without worrying about flipping onto your head or low slide and it will save a lot of high sides too.

You will be faster than any street car, the dude in the Lambo is going to need pull out binoculars in about 10 seconds to track you.

With AbS, you can panic slam the brakes as hard as you like and not flip over the front and the stopping power of the bike is great.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for keeping a cool head and saying this in a polite way!

Just looking out for a fellow rider. I know I'd have similar thoughts if I owned a bike at 25.

Try to look for all out adrenaline rushes somewhere else. Bungee/sky jump, track day (even rent a liter), etc. Save the bike for enjoyment. Taking in the scenery and *occasionally* beating the pants off a cager but let off before you get to ludicrous speed. :thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I absolutely love my '09 S3. 1050cc's, I keep up with the guys I ride with (cbr1000rr's) until we're over 100 (no farings on an S3), and the power delivery is butter smooth. You have all the torque you need at any point in the RPM's too. They're way more comfortable than the cbr1/r1/gsxr1/etc too, I can put way more miles on my bike than any of the other guys. Did I mention it's the best hoon bike out there? Wheelie machine.

This is on the older 955cc S3

Kevin Carmichael burns day 2004 - YouTube

My roommate was wrecked on his 99 Sprint 955 - I keep telling him to not worry about the fairings, buy a crash cage and go -1 +4 in the rear. That thing would be a sick stunt bike! Soooo much torque - I love that bike- though there's a few frustrating things about it - fuel line fittings, electronics, etc.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looking out for a fellow rider. I know I'd have similar thoughts if I owned a bike at 25.

Try to look for all out adrenaline rushes somewhere else. Bungee/sky jump, track day (even rent a liter), etc. Save the bike for enjoyment. Taking in the scenery and *occasionally* beating the pants off a cager but let off before you get to ludicrous speed. :thumbup:

Pook is SO right here.

Look, I'm 22 and I LOVE speed. I LOVE torque and acceleration. I just love bikes. At the end of last year, I was in the same boat. Thought I wanted to go to a 750, or an R6/cbr600rr/gsxr600/zx-6r, or even a liter bike. I thought about them every day. Constantly comparing my bike to them. But here's what I found out: Straight line Acceleration on the fz6 is okay. It's not great or screaming, but it still gives me joy! Turning on the FZ6 is pretty darn good. I mean, the front suspension is a little soft and it doesn't "feel" like a supersport... But it's not supposed to! The FZ6 is a "jack of all trades" type of bike and I love it for that. It's not finnicky, or hard to work on... It's very forgiving, and there is so much more to the bike than you thought there was.

Talk to some of the guys here that take their bike to the drag strips, I'm sure they could give you some good advice on how to make it quicker. Or the guys that track their bike, I'm sure they could give advice on how to be faster/turn better.

But if you're just looking for speed, or to beat other cars in an all out, balls to the wall race on the streets... Then all of what I just said is already lost, because you might not be the target audience for the FZ6 at all. And while that's perfectly fine, just make sure you wear good gear and be careful. I don't like hearing about people going insanely fast and ending up wrapped around a tree (or two).

Seriously, though, I have my first track day in about 6 weeks... Try one. Something tells me you'll buy a 2nd bike just for that.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm starting to feel the appeal of a bigger bike too. Now that I'm back in the city with near 100% hwy time on the bike, getting on the hwy I usually wring it out pretty good and it's becoming less of a rush now :(