Can't stop thinking about a liter bike

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so truth be told, FZ6 is my first bike, (I've been riding it since this spring), I've been riding scooters for 5 years before (yamaha aerox 50cc 1 season and honda pantheon 125cc remaining ones).

I bought the FZ6 because I took my licence on it 4 years ago and of course due to the undertail exhaust and of course some brand loyalty because of Aerox. I wanted speed, unrelenting, squiddy, straight line speed. First time I made her go past 10k was phenomenal, hands were shaking full of adrenaline.. I've fitted a 15T sprocket and a PC3 since and the sensation kinda wore off, I'm no longer scared by it, I'm no longer impressed by the way I walk away from those tuned 3 liter diesel cars and past 140km/h the "oomph" is meh really. So thanks to youtube I got it in my head that I need a second (I'm keeping the FZ6!) - liter bike. An SS one. I don't do track days yet, I'm crappy with my cornering that's for sure, but I can't help thinking about getting a 1000cc bike, just for more linear acceleration thrill.

I dunno why I post this really, anyone have a FZ6 and want an 1000cc SS badly? Can someone put some sense into me because this combination of reasoning is trouble waiting to happen etc?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a ninja 1000 about a month ago. I liked how light my fz6 was but I like the power better on the ninja. The comfort now that I have a gel seat is about the same between the two. The ninja is heavier when you are moving it around in a parking lot, etc but once you get going you do not feel the weight at all and it handles significantly better in the corners. You just have to be careful not to go over 1/2 throttle in 1st and about 3/4 throttle in 2nd. It is easy to get over 100mph in seconds without going over 4.5k rpms if you do not pay attention.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
I've hunted down R1s and S1000RRs on the track with my SV650 and Ninja 500. I don't like bikes with stupid amounts of horsepower. The thing I like about slower bikes is that there's very little need to fear the throttle. You rip on it, it goes, and it doesn't throw you off.

I owned a TL1000R (1000 v-twin) and that was the shortest I ever owned a bike; about 3 months. While the acceleration was nice, it was also pointless.

I've ridden CBR1000RR's a couple times. Unless the bike exclusively lives on the track, it's just a chore to ride. I never got to enjoy riding it as I was so focused on my right wrist. If anything, I'd put a modern GSXR750 at the limit of practical and fun.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how insurance works in your part of the world but paying 3X as much to insure a second, Liter bike is enough to keep me from getting that urge. :thumbup:

Learning to ride track on your FZ6 would be a cheaper, more fun way to get that "thrill" back. Everyone like a good acceleration thrill but it doesn't compare to learning to corner with a knee puck! :thumbup:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I've read that CBR1000RR feels like a 600 and it's easiest to ride from the liter ones (sans S1000RR, that's too new and out of my budget, while I want it, I could get one only from 2010, without warranty - parts from BMW dealer only and some stories about engine problems keeps me away from this yet-to-be-proven reliability wise bike).

I'm probably looking at getting a crashed 98-2001 R1 to restore, the plastics are cheap since China started making them, parts are cheap as well and plentiful, anything else can be fixed. If I don't like it or it's too scary I can sell without losing too much, except time spent working on it..

TL1000 I find scary just looking at it, I dunno, but something about old Suzuki's and Kawas intimidate me.

I've hunted down R1s and S1000RRs on the track with my SV650 and Ninja 500. I don't like bikes with stupid amounts of horsepower. The thing I like about slower bikes is that there's very little need to fear the throttle. You rip on it, it goes, and it doesn't throw you off.

I owned a TL1000R (1000 v-twin) and that was the shortest I ever owned a bike; about 3 months. While the acceleration was nice, it was also pointless.

I've ridden CBR1000RR's a couple times. Unless the bike exclusively lives on the track, it's just a chore to ride. I never got to enjoy riding it as I was so focused on my right wrist. If anything, I'd put a modern GSXR750 at the limit of practical and fun.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 25, no accidents, paying 41 USD for insurance on my FZ6 for SIX months. Thing is, an R1 is like 5 USD more, even though I'm in a 3rd world country it's still very little money for me and not enough from swaying away from liter bikes...

I don't know how insurance works in your part of the world but paying 3X as much to insure a second, Liter bike is enough to keep me from getting that urge. :thumbup:

Learning to ride track on your FZ6 would be a cheaper, more fun way to get that "thrill" back. Everyone like a good acceleration thrill but it doesn't compare to learning to corner with a knee puck! :thumbup:

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
The TLR was actually pretty tame. V-twin engine means (more) linear power delivery, which I enjoy over the I-4's typical jump. That bike was just a pig; something like 500lbs for a sportbike. No thanks.

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
Over/undertaking a 1000cc bike on a corner gives more thrills than doing 170 mph... try a track day, you will get the bug

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Any squid can twist the throttle...

Learn to corner a bike! I cant be sure but I'm guessing youre that guy with chicken strips that are about 1/3 the width of your tire..
I have a friend like this.. has an r6 with a load of motor work and professional tuning.. his only tire wear is smack dab in the center of his tire..

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly yes, but mostly because we don't have any really curvy roads here so track days is the only chance of getting rid of them. Still, knee dragging seems like magic to me, I'm kinda scared to hit a rock or something with my knee and be thrown off the bike. And what's with "having a knee surgery" or "after a knee surgery" I keep reading in biker forums?

Any good books on the subject? I've watched twist of the wrist, didn't find it too informative and good to be honest, maybe the book contains more.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Any squid can twist the throttle...

Learn to corner a bike! I cant be sure but I'm guessing youre that guy with chicken strips that are about 1/3 the width of your tire..
I have a friend like this.. has an r6 with a load of motor work and professional tuning.. his only tire wear is smack dab in the center of his tire..

Um.. so what? Chances are none of us are going to be Pros. How someone has fun on a motorcycle is going to be different for everyone.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly yes, but mostly because we don't have any really curvy roads here so track days is the only chance of getting rid of them. Still, knee dragging seems like magic to me, I'm kinda scared to hit a rock or something with my knee and be thrown off the bike. And what's with "having a knee surgery" or "after a knee surgery" I keep reading in biker forums?

Any good books on the subject? I've watched twist of the wrist, didn't find it too informative and good to be honest, maybe the book contains more.

That tends to be dirt bike riders. A bunch of dirt guys I know have completely trashed their knees since they're extra shock absorbers over bumps. It doesn't apply as much on paved roads.

I only took one thing away from Twist of the Wrist that I didn't already know from motorcycle forums: once applied, the throttle should be smoothly and continuously rolled on throughout the rest of the corner.

Proficient Motorcycling is a popular book, but I've never read it. I prefer going to trackdays, getting one-on-one feedback with an instructor, and then putting it into practice.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Who's to say how anyone else should ride? Just because cornering gives me more satisfaction than straight line acceleration, doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.. nor does it mean that I should tell others that it's all about cornering.

If you love getting up to speed fast, by all means go ahead and get a bigger bike. Just remember to mind your gaps and distances and slow way down before corners.

I would definitely recommend taking a SS bike out for a 15-20 minute ride before you buy anything. At 25, you probably won't care, but truth be told.. they are purpose-built machines and the purpose is track, not street.

I remember Latvia had pretty much no fun roads to offer.. I imagine Lithuania is not very different.

You mentioned TOTW video.. yes, the book is MUCH more informative, but almost to a point where it'll give you a headache. You can only learn so much from reading or watching.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Really?? I watched it last week, had to drink a pot of coffee because its really bad acting, but I saw all the things I have been doing wrong!

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I was feeling some of the same thoughts the other day riding my FZ6....my FZ is feeling really slow....especially after getting a stage 2 car.

However I finally decided to curb that want with some common sense. Unless I want to start racing on a track, Id just kill my self on a liter bike. Even then it would be dumb for a novice, lots of pros to starting out on a 600.

How is traffic where you live? If you have wide open roads that are cage free then a liter bike would rock, especially if you dont have corners and want to bust out wheelies faster than you can blink. Drive that WOT with some cages around and you probably just like to flirt with death.

Sounds like you should get a drag bike, or some sort of drag racing machine to appease your need for speed. But honestly, do what makes you happy. :thumbup:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
OP, the problem with your craving for straight line speed is that, like any other type of addict, you will grow accustomed to your usual dose. If you got a liter bike, it would be crazy fast and adrenaline packed for a few months perhaps, but then you would get used to it just like you got used the FZ6. Whereas if you kept your bike and learned to corner it better, you could spend your whole life improving your skills. It doesn't take any skill to flex your wrist muscles.

EDIT: I feel the same way as you sometimes about straight line speed. Then I remember to appreciate just how quick this bike is. That is, faster than just about every car on the road.

Last edited:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I base my sensation of speed mostly around other cars, don't know how it's in the states, but here almost every cager feels like he's got something to prove to a bike, either by not moving to a slower lane to let me pass or accelerating from a stop light to try to come in front. I don't care about these things when I'm in my car, but on a bike, most of the time I don't like being "taken".

Just today some volvo tried really hard to keep up but at peak RPM I walked him. However I feel if I was on a faster bike I would have destroyed him.. I have destroyed plentiful of audi a6's and even a bmw 750 though.

I'm yet to meet a car that beat the FZ6 tbh, but some cars can keep up even if you're in the right gear.

Another thing is overtaking at high speed. Going WOT at high RPM is good on the FZ6, but after 100km/h I'd like a bigger surge thus more confidence, now I tend to follow cagers for too long waiting for the perfect spot.

OP, the problem with your craving for straight line speed is that, like any other type of addict, you will grow accustomed to your usual dose. If you got a liter bike, it would be crazy fast and adrenaline packed for a few months perhaps, but then you would get used to it just like you got used the FZ6. Whereas if you kept your bike and learned to corner it better, you could spend your whole life improving your skills. It doesn't take any skill to flew your wrist muscles.

EDIT: I feel the same way as you sometimes about straight line speed. Then I remember to appreciate just how quick this bike is. That is, faster than just about every car on the road.