"Can you wheelie on an fz6?"

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled a couple wheelies on my 1995 EX250 (intentionally--there isn't any way to do one by accident). I was never any good at it, I would only ever just pop it up really quickly. Possibly could've mastered it if I had a tach on that bike (or a speedo, or mirrors, or turn signals, or a real headlight....)

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice pic's!

My 07 (98 HP) with stock gearing, will power wheelie everytime in first gear when it hits about 8,000 RPM (no clutching, strickly torque). I have to lean forward to keep it under 6".

Two up is even easier..

(no aftermarket PC, open Scorps)

thats actually all done by horsepower at that point, since torque takes a backseat to HP after 5300rpm. 8000rpm is just where the powerband starts to light up, and ive picked the front wheel up a couple of times at about the same spot, although it is easier if you flick the clutch at about 8-8500rpm.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
also if you look yamaha intentionally built this bike to be a little front heavy so that it stays planted easier. and as has been stated, the FZ6 is not the torquiest of beasts, and those combined dont lead the bike to be easy to wheelie.

but nothing is as funny as when the old man pops up a wheel on his BMW.

AidanM

Inspired to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback, i'm enjoying reading everybody's experiences with wheelies. When I had been talking to some other riders in person, they seemed to agree that an fz6 would have a very hard time wheeling, due to the "lack of torque", also I had read a few posts by of nay-sayers on other forums as well, sorry my perspective wasn't all that accurate.
As for how long I can keep it up (thanks for the lol ssky0078 haha)... well I do a power wheelie in first and can only ride it out for about 30-40(ish) feet because I have not been able to shift and maintain my wheelie, most likely because I am not reaching my balance point....
For those of you out there that have tried wheeling multiple ways, how do you feel about standing up while wheeling? It seems like it would be much more risky.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
You can shift into 2nd while in a 1st gear wheelie quite easily. Just put pressure up on the shifter, let the gas out a little bit and open it back to where it was before. It will pop right into second and you can keep going.

Note: I've only done this once. I like my bike too much to wreck it.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback, i'm enjoying reading everybody's experiences with wheelies. When I had been talking to some other riders in person, they seemed to agree that an fz6 would have a very hard time wheeling, due to the "lack of torque", also I had read a few posts by of nay-sayers on other forums as well, sorry my perspective wasn't all that accurate.
As for how long I can keep it up (thanks for the lol ssky0078 haha)... well I do a power wheelie in first and can only ride it out for about 30-40(ish) feet because I have not been able to shift and maintain my wheelie, most likely because I am not reaching my balance point....
For those of you out there that have tried wheeling multiple ways, how do you feel about standing up while wheeling? It seems like it would be much more risky.

as far as standups, they allow you to reach the balance point and maintain that position easier an for a longer period of time.

check out Downshift83 on youtube, even though he's become a bit of a tool his wheelie tutorials are very good and he shows his progress from when he first started with wheelies (his bikes are: ZX-6, ZX-10, and i believe he's still on his R1 now) the tutorials should be on his ZX-6.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
as far as standups, they allow you to reach the balance point and maintain that position easier an for a longer period of time.

check out Downshift83 on youtube, even though he's become a bit of a tool his wheelie tutorials are very good and he shows his progress from when he first started with wheelies (his bikes are: ZX-6, ZX-10, and i believe he's still on his R1 now) the tutorials should be on his ZX-6.

DS83 has some good vids. I've been enjoying DoubleT90T as he's a newer youtuber and pretty friendly. He seems to be obsessed with wheelies.

Also Stuntbums and LeahStunts is pretty cool. (you're all welcome for this awesome hotness)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfYqPKR0hog]How to do an Idle Wheelie on a Motorcycle - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nmLn0l34j0]Leah Petersen's Circle Wheelie Stunt Diaries Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

I'd marry Leah in a second. She is hot and awesome on a bike. She is like 5'10" too so great for my 6'4" goofy self.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHCLg8_yR4c]LeahStunts: Violet Stars & Happy Stunting - YouTube[/ame]

Finally the best wheelie video I have ever seen, hands down, no question is this one in 2 parts by sportbikewrench. (it loses points for 2 dirty dudes instead of a hot girl, but their instruction is way better)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKpXBHIXkk]Stunter Sessions- How to Wheelie part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X85DKaRrtkM]Stunter Sessions- How to Wheelie part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

downshift83

Reaction score
Visit site

I resent the "tool" stab... maybe you could elaborate =)
correct about the bikes though.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I resent the "tool" stab... maybe you could elaborate =)
correct about the bikes though.

I love that you joined a forum for a retort. Priceless. Welcome. Don't you have an R1 to go ride, ohh wait it's probably raining.

BTW how can one get a decal to further promote your insane videos.

edit: FML, after I make the comment about the rain, it started to rain here the first time in a month.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
The question should be: How do you NOT wheelie an FZ6?
Once, directly under a redlight cam, I accidentally picked the front wheel up and rode it away while jerking the doors off a Z-28. Twice I have wheeled while summoning up the horses while coming out of sharp turns and once it just power wheelied all by itself at 95 mph shifting into third. I love this bike!
(I'm just glad that Yamaha engineers put the battery way up front!)

Last edited: