"Can you wheelie on an fz6?"

AidanM

Inspired to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I have been a long time lurker on this forum, however after a recent photo shoot with a photographer I thought I might share these pictures.
After looking online there seems to be quite a bit of conjecture about whether or not someone can wheelie an fz6, so I was hoping that this could add to the wealth of evidence that these bikes can in fact wheelie.
Just to help with perspective, i'm about 6' and 175lbs.

*I am aware that posting pictures of me doing wheelies (no matter how small) without being a well-known member of this community runs the risk of me seeming like a squid, I hope that is not the case though.
Also, doing any kind of stunting on bikes is very dangerous and should not be done without all proper safety gear, and within a closed environment.

I hope you all enjoy the pictures, please let me know what you think.

-Aidan

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my wheel up about 6 inches once. From what I understand if you change up the sprockets like -1/+10 you can wheelie like Jorian. The issue may be that the Fz6 is great on top end but not so great on torque and torque is what gets the wheel off the ground.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
If you've got the skills, any bike can be wheelie'd regardless of sprocket size or torque/power.
Not that I have said skills lol

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done a "throttle wheelie" and one day leaving work I pulled one by slipping the clutch when hitting second. granted I slipped it on accident but it still pulled quite easily.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice pic's!

My 07 (98 HP) with stock gearing, will power wheelie everytime in first gear when it hits about 8,000 RPM (no clutching, strickly torque). I have to lean forward to keep it under 6".

Two up is even easier..

(no aftermarket PC, open Scorps)

rodman

Reaction score
Visit site
I can power wheelie in 1st and clutch it up in 2nd allll day. i'm 6'2" 200lbs It's fun but can get a little scary. with practice clutching is much better!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How long can you keep it up? Anyone can get the front end up off the ground whether it's intentional or not.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking online there seems to be quite a bit of conjecture about whether or not someone can wheelie an fz6
-Aidan

I wasn't aware of this conjecture. A Ninja 250 can wheelie... Nice pictures! I love myself the occasional power wheelie. And I never have a problem bringing it up even with a 17T front sprocket.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Good photos, my 2004 will power wheelie in first above 8,000RPM. Have to be a little careful about going full throttle suddenly in first. Will keep it a couple of inches above the pavement in first and then pull a foot or so on athe shift to second and that is with a tank bag and I weigh 180. From a stop too much gas and too quick on the clutch will hoist the front wheel every time. At that point if you panic and chop the throttle it comes down quickly and you meet the gas tank - I did it ONCE. Pain is a powerful teacher to remember to ease off the throttle!!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2nd, 8,500...close throttle...hammer open!

The Tuono V4R? Power up thru third, clutch up in fourth. Good Lord...

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Good photos, my 2004 will power wheelie in first above 8,000RPM. Have to be a little careful about going full throttle suddenly in first. Will keep it a couple of inches above the pavement in first and then pull a foot or so on athe shift to second and that is with a tank bag and I weigh 180. From a stop too much gas and too quick on the clutch will hoist the front wheel every time. At that point if you panic and chop the throttle it comes down quickly and you meet the gas tank - I did it ONCE. Pain is a powerful teacher to remember to ease off the throttle!!!

cover the rear brake and bring her down.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
It has happened to me once or twice but nothing really big. I make it a point to keep both wheels on the ground as much as I can.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually just clutch it up in 1st. "Safely".

Basically, from a stop I start accelerating at a decent pace. Once it pulls to about 5k I will just slip the clutch real quick, and give it a handful of gas. I usually end up leaning forward and it comes up a good foot or so and comes back down really nicely.

I will admit that I did this when I was running a clogged up air filter (changed to K&N) as well as old spark plugs (changed to Iridium) so the bike was actually a bit "underpowered" when I did it. On top of that, I'm switching to a +0/+2 sprocket config as well as a 520 chain.

Something tells me she'll power up in first no problem.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to pull this trick on assholes who try to race you in there sports cars. I give it juice to right around 13k and with no clutch let the asshat catch up and I'm about at his corner panel at 8-9k. Then juice it. It puts the wheel up. Just enough to pull past him. Of course I don't have the intestinal fortitude to keep the wheel up at 70mph. I usually just let her down and go on my way lol..