Can you remove.....?

Blackops272

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering do you know the helmet lock clip, can you remove that? i dont use it and never will, would be nice if i could take it off, also not sure how it works but in regards to taking out the key barrel that unlocks the clip it would be nice to get that off too as it wouldn't have a purpose anymore :p

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not welded on my bike. Unlock it and you'll be able to undo the bolt that's holding it on.

+1 on the above, the lock bolts to the tab, (I believe with a torx head style bolt). The tab it bolts to is set back pretty far.

I actually made a tab to bring it out farther so the lock is easier to get to...

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it's easy to remove or move. Just one bolt. I relocated mine to the other side. My OHLIN shock reservour is where the stock helmet lock was. I always lock my helmet if I don't take it with me. I won't leave it locked very long. I would rather hang on to it than lock it up for very long. Too many bad people out there will take it in a heart beat.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering do you know the helmet lock clip, can you remove that? i dont use it and never will, would be nice if i could take it off, also not sure how it works but in regards to taking out the key barrel that unlocks the clip it would be nice to get that off too as it wouldn't have a purpose anymore :p

If you do take off the helmet holder via unscrewing it rather than grinding it off.

Would you sell it to me for nominal fee?;)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above, the lock bolts to the tab, (I believe with a torx head style bolt). The tab it bolts to is set back pretty far.

I actually made a tab to bring it out farther so the lock is easier to get to...

+1
Also, its a tamper proof Tx bit so you need a bit with a hole in the middle. The seat lock is tamper resistant also.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So you did end up doing this? I recall there being talk about it but wasn't sure if you went through with it. How'd it go? Size? Material? Painted? Pics?

Aluminum 1/8" thick. I have a large piece of it. I ended up width wise, cutting it just wider than the lock and long enough to accomodate a BMW style electrical outlet on the other end (see below pictures). The plate bolts inbetween the frame and the foot rest mount with the stock hardware. The plate had to be bent slightly as the frame mount is NOT perpendicular with the bike (a little tricky).

I also added another lock (and re-keyed it) to the right side so when I have a passenger, I have two helmet locks, same set up, just no electrical outlet.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
NVMD

I just realized that I would need a copy of the key as well.

You can get by without having the key.

Once you get to the innerds the furthest key actually holds the key cylinder in the lock body.

Get the lock body out and re-arrange the cylinder keys. You may have to grind down several. Not all locksmiths can do the re-key, you need to have the correct style pins/lenths to work...

A Helmet Guardian has the same body but sometimes an opposite (key offset is opposite from a genuine Yamaha key). Here's a link on re-keying the HG posted from one of my customers on an FJR forum:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=28363&hl=guardian

The HG pic's are the lock separate and one installed on a bracket I designed and sell for the FJR.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So this said tab is not welded on?!? So fail on me :ban: or maybe glue??? I will have to check mine cause I could of swore I was going to grind it off mine!!

OK OK I guess I was wrong:surrender:

The actual plate is welded to the frame. IMHO, its set back a bit too far(at least for me).

One bolt holds the actual, pot aluminum lock assembly to the tab, there is another hole that is for an alignment pin.....

If you don't want the plate itself, agreed, a grider/ reciprocating saw will remove it but also (IMHO) lower the value or the bike as the next owner may want an option of a helmet lock...

Pookamatic, if you have access to a mill, I'd just trace out the lock on 3/4 " aluminum (or whatever width your looking at), mill it out, drill the appropriate sized holes, use a longer bolt and just push it out farther that way. You would have to put a new alignment pin in the new block. Nice and clean install...