Can you help me add additional blinker indicator lights - LED

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With a full face helmet I can't really see if my turn signal has been left on. I'm tired of leaving one on and driving around like an idiot.

My plan is to mount a green led on each of my mirror stalks that faces me. It would augment the indicators in the instrument cluster.

The mechanical part is easy if I splice into the wires that run to the front turn signals. What I don't understand is the electrical part. If I grab an off the shelf LED what type of resistor to I need to put in line with it? Will this change my blink rate? It it does how do I remedy that?

Do I need a multimeter? What do I need to test for and how?

Thank you.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The more miles under your belt, the less and less it will happen...I rarely, if ever do it anymore...muscle memory...I dont even think about it, the thumb turns it off automatically

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
A 680 Ohm resistor placed in series with the LED will do the job for one LED. It doesn't matter which leg you attach the resistor to, but the polarity of the LED does. Attach the long leg of the LED to positive and the flat side of the LED to negative.

Aslo, go here LEDs - underbody kits, cathodes, flexible LED strips, dome lights They have loads of LEDs and a resistor calculator that's SUPER handy.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure thing. You might test this off the bike first, sometimes those resistors get hot, you might have to try to find a 1/2 watt rated one, but i would expect a cheap 1/4 watt wil suit you fine.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The more miles under your belt, the less and less it will happen...I rarely, if ever do it anymore...muscle memory...I dont even think about it, the thumb turns it off automatically

It's only been about a year (a New England year which shorter). I am much better now. It's generally after those long stop lights that I forget to turn the signal off, or after I've had to stop and wait for something to open up in a long line of traffic. I'm concentrating on getting into and through traffic after the stops and forget.