Can not start yamaha fazer oil and petrol warning light come up

gorilaz

Reaction score
Visit site
Can not start yamaha fazer oil and petrol warning light come up ignition problem

Last week i Jet washed Yamaha Fazer 1999 model. Right after that oil and petrol warning light come up which prevent me to start Fazer bike, unless i push the bike - have no problem then. i belive, i have electrical problem. any suggestion?

Last edited:

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last week i Jet washed Yamaha Fazer 1999 model. Right after that oil and petrol warning light come up which prevent me to start Fazer bike, unless i push the bike - have no problem then. i belive, i have electrical problem. any suggestion?

What happens when you try and start the bike?

What about if it's in neutral?

If it bump starts but won't start with the starter I'd tend to think you had an electrical problem related to the starter, starter button or any number of things between the two.

I'm not positive about the oil and petrol lights. That could be an indication. Most automobiles would have an oil light on if the ignition switch is on but the engine isn't running because it thinks that it should have oil pressure but doesn't. I'd have to dig out the shop manual for that one.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

our bike actually has a oil level sensor not pressure (I was wrong before and now know for sure) Sounds like some sensors are unpluged or wires are unpluged or it could be a computer problem but not likely.

Are you full of fuel?
And full of oil?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
An old 99 Fazer! sweet! post pics :D

Did you check your starter switch fuse? you may have shorted the switch with water, thus blowing the fuse... I'd go through all the fuses, and if they are fine, I`d check the switch itself.
+1 on giving more details about what happens when you turn the key and push the switch...

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

our bike actually has a oil level sensor not pressure (I was wrong before and now know for sure) Sounds like some sensors are unpluged or wires are unpluged or it could be a computer problem but not likely.

Are you full of fuel?
And full of oil?

Scratch my post above.

I dont know anything about the 99 fazer engine.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
NEVER NEVER NEVER PRESSURE WASH A BIKE OR A CAR(UNDER THE HOOD)
I have never heard of one person being happy they used a pressure washer.

Anyways about your problem, the best thing you can do is let it dry for a couple days, disconnect the battery, and check every possible electrical connection you can get to, check every fuse, and make sure everything electrical is dry and functioning.

gorilaz

Reaction score
Visit site
BIKE stood for a week untouch, it is dry now. Went through all wires, fuses, sparks, look OK. Oil and petrol Full. Lights, Indicators work fine. i believe battery is good. Gears on neutral. you turn the key everything OK, then you press the ignition and NO SOUND/ NOTHING just the oil and petrol light show up

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like it is time to get the multimeter out.

Start at the battery. Do you have a fully charged battery?

Is power getting to the switch?

Is power getting to the starter?

Corrosion in one of the connections may be the culprit.

Electrical problems are a pain to diagnose over the internet, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Good luck....

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BIKE stood for a week untouch, it is dry now. Went through all wires, fuses, sparks, look OK. Oil and petrol Full. Lights, Indicators work fine. i believe battery is good. Gears on neutral. you turn the key everything OK, then you press the ignition and NO SOUND/ NOTHING just the oil and petrol light show up

That makes a little more sense now. Regarding the lights anyway. I was actually wrong in what I was thinking previously. the only time I could get my lights to come on was when I was actually trying to start my bike. once it started the lights went off. I don't think the lights are a cause of your problem, but your problem is cause for the lights.

Thanks wrightme43 for clearing up the oil level/pressure sensor confussion on my part.

Again if you can bump start it... sounds related to the starter motor/starting system. Be it one of the safety interlock mechanisms, relay, high current side etc etc.

as was suggested before dig out the multimeter and the service manual. We can keep guessing at stuff but until you do some troubleshooting you're not going to get very far.

gorilaz

Reaction score
Visit site
That makes a little more sense now. Regarding the lights anyway. I was actually wrong in what I was thinking previously. the only time I could get my lights to come on was when I was actually trying to start my bike. once it started the lights went off. I don't think the lights are a cause of your problem, but your problem is cause for the lights.

Thanks wrightme43 for clearing up the oil level/pressure sensor confussion on my part.

Again if you can bump start it... sounds related to the starter motor/starting system. Be it one of the safety interlock mechanisms, relay, high current side etc etc.

as was suggested before dig out the multimeter and the service manual. We can keep guessing at stuff but until you do some troubleshooting you're not going to get very far.
what exactly CDI ignition box do? how do i test it?If the Cut off starter relay faulty, is it possible to start bike either push or press an ignition button?

Last edited:

gorilaz

Reaction score
Visit site
Went through all cable,check the ignition switch for corrosion,fuses ,socket nothing.Everythig look OK.
i wonder maybe cut off starter relay broke?
what exactly CDI ignition box do? If the CUT-OFF STARTER FAULTY, is it possible to start bike either push or press an ignition button?
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW BIKE CAN BE START BY PUSHING. MAIN IGNITION(KEY) AND LIGHT WORK FINE.

Last edited: