Cam Chain tensioner-differences?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On one of the FJR forums, a member grenaded his engine about 170 miles after doing a cam chain and tensioner change out. I suspect (and he posted) that he could go back and forth by one tooth (and likely assembled the bike with one tooth off).

The point, doing some research, I found that the cam chain tensioner, for the FZ (year 2007 and 2009) not only have different part #'s, but look differently in the parts fisch...?? News to me!

Reading the below post, (again this is from an FJR forum), shed some light into the workings of the Yamaha tensioner. Apparently there is no racheting safety inside, strictly spring pressure only. The updated FJR tensioners, besides have a stiffer spring also have a longer plunger so it can extend out further.

Here is the link for further reading:FJRF008: Cam Chain Tensioner Survey - Technical/Mechanical Problems - FJRForum

In a nut shell, quote:

There have been numerous posts and questions over the years of this forum’s existence concerning noisy cam chains, due to the OEM cam chain tensioner not being up to the task.

There have also been documented disastrous results from cam chain tensioner failures, resulting in destruction of the valve train and expensive follow-up repairs. Incidentally, all four documented cases of catastrophic cam chain tensioner failures involved 2004 model motors, however there easily might be other, forum-undocumented failures resulting in engine damage in other model years.

A cursory examination of past posts involving cam chain noise emanating from the right side of the motor indicates the original OEM cam chain tensioner (hereafter referred to as CCT) has a finite life, although Yamaha doesn’t suggest a maintenance or replacement schedule for the original part.

However, there seems to be an indication that Yamaha is aware of a problem, considering a recent design and part number change for the OEM unit with forum members who have replaced their OEM unit with the updated model indicating the new replacement part incorporates a longer shaft in the adjustment mechanism, providing more extension of the adjusting shaft at less spring deflection, effectively improving the capabilities of the design, and possibly providing a longer MTBF (mean time between failure) for the OEM replacement .

From my investigations, reported cam chain noise has come as early as 7,000 miles, or as late as over 110,000 miles, so there doesn’t seem to be a pattern for early failure in the OEM CCT. However, after reading many of the threads involving cam chain noise and CCT replacements, it could be deduced that many of the failure issues have immediately, or at a reasonably short time, followed a valve adjustment, where the CCT had been retracted for cam removal.

To my knowledge, there is NO updated (blue dot-as there is for the FJR) CCT for the FZ6. Life of the CCT (and your engine) is dependant on that spring inside the CCT. Should it break (unlikely) suddenly while running, your engine is likely toast. Most often, you start hear a rattling. Seems that replacement of the CCT, ASAP, would be warranted to prevent a catastrophe.

I posted this not to scare anyone but to make them more aware of the potential for a failure, especially the older the bikes, higher mileage, etc.

Please don't ignore any new noises, especially from the right side of the engine.

As a side note, the FJR cam shafts, cam chain, guides and tensioner set up is about identical to the FZ6. I suspect the chain is slightly longer being a taller engine due to the increased displacement (I've never measured one chain next to the other).

Ride safe...

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was starting to show sign of wear with about 38K miles. I was starting to have the "tick" when starting up with a warm engine (oil viscosity lower since warm) It was going away after few second. I replace the tensioner with a new one, that was a cheap $75.00 maintenance fix compare to a grenades engine!

As extra precaution, I pull out the side cover. replace the tensioner and old the guide against the chain and crank the engine until I felt the pressure built up in the tensioner was sufficient.

I know some of you went with the mechanical tensioner... but I felt like changing it once in a while will be good enough without worrying about adjusting it.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the blue manual ones. They are about $50.00.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info Scott!

I used to have an 09 R1 with the crossplane crank motor. There was a lot of hub bub on R1 forums about catastrophic engine failure due to bad CCT's. It was really confusing because there was evidence (PDF documents) showing Yamaha issued a recall to have them changed out. When I went to the dealer and they said they didn't know about it. This dealer was probably one of the worst for service. Most owners just bought the APE manual CCT and never looked back. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I just noticed today (while doing some basic maintainance).

My CCT (stock, original), has the proverbial BLUE DOT painted adjacent to the "up" arrow, very visable peeking down between the side of the engine and frame.

Anyone else??? 2007 US version model (sticks out a bit)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just spent 30" looking for this thread.... When the temps come above freezing I plan to do the valve clearance check. I remember reading something in one of these links and had to find it again. More info Here. and for valve checking (FZ6) here.
How to adjust FZ6 valves here.

FW Little IW (FWLIW): FJR parts are not the same as ours.
1MC-12210-00-00 TENSIONER ASSY, CAM CHAIN <Current as of 2014-11
5JW-12210-01-00 TENSIONER ASSY, CAM CHAIN <Superseded by 1MC-12210-00-00

5SL-12210-10-00 TENSIONER ASSY, CAM <Yamaha FZ6 PN....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
if we assemble a fjr tensioner on a fz6?

Say what? I think those guys have more issues than us. :confused:

5SL-12210-10-00 was used on R6/FZ/R6S from 2003 - 2009. As stated in the thread, they made a change and released another PN for some kind of issue.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
The point, doing some research, I found that the cam chain tensioner, for the FZ (year 2007 and 2009) not only have different part #'s, but look differently in the parts fisch...?? News to me!

I've bought a spare low miles FZ6 CCT from ebay, and i checked if it has a blue dot and yes it has one. But i'm not sure about the length and spring differences. But if it's really an upgraded one, i can change it with the existing one before any issues.

MG_0657.jpg

MG_0658.jpg

I checked partzilla for part numbers but they all seem the same. Are you sure there is really a difference?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've bought a spare low miles FZ6 CCT from ebay, and i checked if it has a blue dot and yes it has one. But i'm not sure about the length and spring differences. But if it's really an upgraded one, i can change it with the existing one before any issues.

I checked partzilla for part numbers but they all seem the same. Are you sure there is really a difference?

boats.net = No change for 5SL-12210-10-00
ronayers.com = shows 5MT-12210-00-00 was replaced by: 5SL-12210-10-00
CAMSHAFT CHAIN

HOWEVER: the 5MT-12210-00-00 PN was never released to our bike as best I can tell. Just the early R6 before our bike was released.

2001 CHAMPIONS LIMITED EDITION - YZFR6SN
2001 YZFR6 - YZFR6N
2001 YZFR6 - YZFR6NC
2001 YZFR6SN_SNC
2002 YZFR6 - YZFR6P
2002 YZFR6 - YZFR6PC

// I think its moot point. But I was looking for something one of the FJR guys said.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed the original 2005 cct with the spare one today. It had 35k km's and still working without any issues. Checked the spring operation and it worked fine.

Taking it out is very easy but installing takes time and needs some practice took me an hour totaly. I used a new gasket but the old gasket was also ok to use again.

Both the cam chain tensioners are similar. And both have blue dots on them.

MG_0711.jpg

Original 2005 cct on the left , 2008 low miles cct on the right.

Started up the engine, it felt like it works more tight and solid. But that's just psychological i think.

Last edited:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed the original 2005 cct with the spare one today. It had 35k km's and still working without any issues. Checked the spring operation and it worked fine.

Taking it out is very easy but installing takes time and needs some practice took me an hour totaly. I used a new gasket but the old gasket was also ok to use again.

Both the cam chain tensioners are similar. And both have blue dots on them.

MG_0711.jpg

Original 2005 cct on the left , 2008 low miles cct on the right.

Started up the engine, it felt like it works more tight and solid. But that's just psychological i think.

Did you compared, is there any size differences between two cct's?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking the little "Blue Dot" is the infamous mark that the job was done right. i.e. "UP" was verified!!!

Like So ^:
attachment.php

Fully Extended: 1.8758" (47.7139mm)
Retracted: 1.0305" (26.1747mm)