Cafe Fighter FZ6

bitty7292

Bitty7292
Reaction score
Visit site
Been a silent member for a while but have some time this summer and want to tear the bike down for no other reason than I want to. I pretty much decided on a single round headlight. Anybody know of any other places to get a quality headlight than from Aztec 8. I really like their 7 in round. But it's pricey.

Second I'm torn between putting some cafe bars on or keeping some Renthal streetfughter bars on there. I commute everyday so comfort and maneuverability is a must. Would I be miserable with cafe bars ? How terrible are bar end mirrors ?

Lastly, I am in the military and will always be moving. Am I going to miss that fairing on cold mornings in the northern states or what ? I'm pretty much a commuter as I don't have much time to take long trips and wife only likes two up around town. Would I miss it on the occasional 4 hour jaunt on the interstate ?

Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh and has anybody painted their rearsets ? Or is that just asking for trouble ? Going for fold accents with the faster blue.

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Been a silent member for a while but have some time this summer and want to tear the bike down for no other reason than I want to. I pretty much decided on a single round headlight. Anybody know of any other places to get a quality headlight than from Aztec 8. I really like their 7 in round. But it's pricey.

One alternative would be to mount up an SV650 front headlight. When I sold my old 650R to a friend, he tore off all the plastics and went this route and it looks really nice. You could probably find one of those headlights used on the cheap.

Second I'm torn between putting some cafe bars on or keeping some Renthal streetfughter bars on there. I commute everyday so comfort and maneuverability is a must. Would I be miserable with cafe bars ? How terrible are bar end mirrors ?

By cafe bars I assume you are referring to clip ons, and those will certainly make the bike more uncomfortable and aggressive. Not to mention, with our stock upper triple tree, I always think clip ons look a little funny since you have the OEM bar riser still in place. Why not consider a drag bar like one off the FZ1? Bar end mirrors work just fine and provide decent to good visibility depending on the set. I went with Rizoma knock off bar end mirrors from RideItMoto.com and really like the look and functionality.

Lastly, I am in the military and will always be moving. Am I going to miss that fairing on cold mornings in the northern states or what ? I'm pretty much a commuter as I don't have much time to take long trips and wife only likes two up around town. Would I miss it on the occasional 4 hour jaunt on the interstate ?

Pulling off the front fairing and going the naked route definitely exposes you to more wind, but in my opionion, it really isnt all that bad. I ride 70 highway miles every day for my commute at speeds ranging from 70-90mph and I have no issue with it. I do have more wind noise in my helmet and def feel the wind a lot more, but it is at an acceptable level for sure.

bitty7292

Bitty7292
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks boss. Hadn't thought about a cheap sv light. And by cafe bars mean like the classic cafe racers with those bulle bars or whatever you call them. Def not clip ons. Had and R6 for a bit - been there done that LOL.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks boss. Hadn't thought about a cheap sv light. And by cafe bars mean like the classic cafe racers with those bulle bars or whatever you call them. Def not clip ons. Had and R6 for a bit - been there done that LOL.

No problem dude. So you mean just a straight bar replacement for the curved/raised bar that comes stock? Yea, go for it. I switched to the FZ1 bar because its slightly more aggressive, looks better, improves handling, and didnt take away from comfort. In fact, like many others had said before, I find them more comfortable than the stockers.

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
I put the clubman cafe bars on mine. I like the aggressive feel when riding, but I also commute and I couldn't get enough pull back and it made my wrists hurt pretty bad. I just switched back to the FZ1 bars to see if my wrists like it a little better.
With the clubmans you can tuck in real good but I felt too scrunched up on the FZ. I got long legs and arms and I raised my rearsets. Having switched back to the FZ1 bars without the fairing the bike feels much more agile. I still have to take it out to my twisties again to remember how it feels with the bars switched back.View attachment 43825View attachment 43827View attachment 43828View attachment 43829

Now I love the way the bike looks with the clubmans on it but I definitely feel a bit worse after an 8 hr fun run with my buddies. The aches and pains begin to chip away at the fun after a while.

Hope that helps, ride safe!

dreadpirates

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, they are stock bars reversed and flipped and yeah Princess Bride name stolen after living aboard our sailboat for many years. Good call