Buying & shipping from out of state

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any relatively recent experience in purchasing a bike out of state and having it shipped without going there yourself? I'm contemplating buying a bike in Chicago and having it shipped to me in Seattle and have a local person lined up to inspect it for me but was wondering how the financial transaction was completed. I know there are escrow services for this and even some of the transportation outfits will also perform this task and was hoping someone could give a novice some advice. It's with a private party, but not through eBay, so I'd rather not use PayPal and cannot use a credit card. Thanks in advance......

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have some experience.

1. I bought my motorcycle from Pennsylvania. One difference from New York style title was that it had to be notarized by the seller. So double check whether that is needed or not.

2. On another instance my brother bought a BMW car from a dealer in Delaware. What we didn't know was that the car was actually titled in Virginia, but the bill of sale was from Delaware.

New Jersey told us that we can't register the vehicle this way and we had to go back to the dealer so he could transfer the vehicle and title it in Delaware then we could title it in New Jersey. I don't remember the exact details but I know that the main problem was that New Jersey didn't want to title it because it was from Delaware.

Anyway, we managed to title and register the car in New York State since we still had an apartment there.

All I am saying is check out all the stupid little rules your local DMV might have. Last thing you want is buying a bike from few states away and end up having titling and registration issues.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any relatively recent experience in purchasing a bike out of state and having it shipped without going there yourself? I'm contemplating buying a bike in Chicago and having it shipped to me in Seattle and have a local person lined up to inspect it for me but was wondering how the financial transaction was completed. I know there are escrow services for this and even some of the transportation outfits will also perform this task and was hoping someone could give a novice some advice. It's with a private party, but not through eBay, so I'd rather not use PayPal and cannot use a credit card. Thanks in advance......

I have a problem buying something that near and dear to me without checking it out first, but maybe one of the Forum members nearby could give it a quick look. It is not as good as being there, but it may be the next best thing. :don'tknow: Any peace of mind is better than no peace of mind - just sayin

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a problem buying something that near and dear to me without checking it out first, but maybe one of the Forum members nearby could give it a quick look. It is not as good as being there, but it may be the next best thing. :don'tknow: Any peace of mind is better than no peace of mind - just sayin

Thanks, but I have a local guy from the Aprilia Forum that will inspect the bike for me, I'm seeking knowledge/experience/advice on how to make the financial aspect of the trasaction in concert with the shipping of the bike.