Buying FZ6 that's unused for 2 years.

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All, I'm not sure this is the proper place to post this so please forgive me if it is not!
I'm from Chicago and might be buying a 2004 FZ6 from a second owner. The current owner does not ride anymore. the bike has been sitting on his driveway for about 2 years, according to him it has under 15k miles, I have not seen the bike in day light and haven't turned it on yet.
At some point the tires were flat just from lack of use.
He is asking 900 dollars.
Anything major I should be looking out for before I close de deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site.

before it gets started check the fluids, the oil may have water in so might the tank, if fuel has been low it may well have surface rust on the inside. Old fuel may not let the bike run too well
The battery once charged, will probably turn it over and it will probably fire up but you would want to empty the tank and re-fill with fresh juice. You may find the battery won't hold a charge for long and needs replacing.
If the tires have gone flat and it has sat on them for a while, new hoops are a requirement for your safety before you really ride, but might be enough for your first test rides.
The fork seals may have hardened up, If you bounce the front end and see residual oil on the forks, that will need early attention.
Brake fluids may well have moisture in them if its been sitting in a drive way and check the coolant level.
see if you can look at service records and find if it was done regularly or even at all. Worth knowing
check globes/bulbs before you ride it and
has it got registration/insurance or loans out on it-clear title

I'm sure if there are other things that you should consider, folks here will chime in pretty fast, we like to share advice and knowledge and like me, if we don't know we ask all manner of (silly) questions.

At $900 even if the exchange rate with the Aussie $ was 50 cents in the dollar, If I was paying $1800 for a FZ6 that hadnt been dropped, the cost of these repairs would be OKAY in my book.

BTW what colour is it- makes all the difference ha ha ha

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site.

before it gets started check the fluids, the oil may have water in so might the tank, if fuel has been low it may well have surface rust on the inside. Old fuel may not let the bike run too well
The battery once charged, will probably turn it over and it will probably fire up but you would want to empty the tank and re-fill with fresh juice. You may find the battery won't hold a charge for long and needs replacing.
If the tires have gone flat and it has sat on them for a while, new hoops are a requirement for your safety before you really ride, but might be enough for your first test rides.
The fork seals may have hardened up, If you bounce the front end and see residual oil on the forks, that will need early attention.
Brake fluids may well have moisture in them if its been sitting in a drive way and check the coolant level.
see if you can look at service records and find if it was done regularly or even at all. Worth knowing
check globes/bulbs before you ride it and
has it got registration/insurance or loans out on it-clear title

I'm sure if there are other things that you should consider, folks here will chime in pretty fast, we like to share advice and knowledge and like me, if we don't know we ask all manner of (silly) questions.

At $900 even if the exchange rate with the Aussie $ was 50 cents in the dollar, If I was paying $1800 for a FZ6 that hadnt been dropped, the cost of these repairs would be OKAY in my book.

BTW what colour is it- makes all the difference ha ha ha

Hi agf!

This is awesome reply thank you!

It is the grey/silver one with grey/silver wheels. I kinda like it. But might eventually doing something a little different.

The cheapest 2004 I could find on ebay/craigslist was around 2k so if i spend 600-700 to get it in good shape I will consider it a good deal, I'm good with working on bikes/cars so this could be a project for me. He also has a Givi trunk, extra fender (don't know which), another battery that is on trickle charger. The bike looks very dirty and even has some spiderwebs on it.

It needs some love! =)

I had thought about most of what you said but never thought about moisture. Here since we have some heavy winters with snow, this increases the humidity on the bike, snow sitting on it then melting.
The right fork definitely has a broken seal. I hope this is not super difficult to fix.

If there is some rust inside the tank, how would that affect or put in jeopardy the engine and all?

Would engine seals also be a concern? What about fuel pump?

He said it was tipped over by a neighbor but only the fender under the seat on the right side broke.

I wanted to try starting it before closing the deal as if it runs it's already really good.

I'm guessing you are from Down Under so not sure if you can help with next question.

How would I check for any loans/holds or to see if title is clean here in US?

Thank you again!

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rust in the tank, there have been a few threads here about resolving it if its there. running a rust laden fuel through the pump can toast it, so you should have a good look at that, I figure it would block the injectors pretty quick so it might stall really fast. when others with more experience read this thread they will pipe up I'm sure.

Here in Aust, when a bike is registered it has to be declared if it is under any loan, so we can check with the motor registry. If you have the Vehicle Identification Number, you could probably check that with your local motor reg. If there are no licence plates to go with
engine seals I couldn't comment on I havnt had to deal with them myself.
My FZ is a 2009 I bought it new as remainded stock in 2011 off the showroom floor. Tyres were still good and I have replaced them now two times mainly due to punctures and stupidly running my front with toolittle pressure for a bit too long. But all my hoses are still fine. I have had to replace the clutch cable and I have relaced the rubber brake lines with s/steel lines- personal choice but a good option for brake feel

the grey silver combo looks clean even when its a bit grungy, black bikes look great when clean but a bit of wet road riding soon muddies 'em up, my yellow looks good from a distance but when you get close and its dirty it looks REALLY SCUNGY- so you

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
for $900 that's a pretty good deal particularly since it is very low mileage and hasn't been wrecked and repaired.

on most used bikes you would expect to replace tires anyway.

as others have mentioned go through the bike and look for any trouble spots like the tank. I honestly don't see moisture being a threat in the crankcase and brake lines but the tank may turn out to be an issue.

Good luck

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
for $900 that's a pretty good deal particularly since it is very low mileage and hasn't been wrecked and repaired.

on most used bikes you would expect to replace tires anyway.

as others have mentioned go through the bike and look for any trouble spots like the tank. I honestly don't see moisture being a threat in the crankcase and brake lines but the tank may turn out to be an issue.

Good luck

Thank you FB400!
I'll only be able to go look at it in person on Monday.
I'll keep everyone posted and if I close the deal, I will create a dedicated thread for it here and show the whole process of bringing life and shine back into it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on all the above.

If the tank rust cannot be removed (too deep/bad), a new tank is about $600. The rust inside will likely destroy the fuel pump

As for liens on the title, he should be able to produce the title (paper) which would show ANY LIENS on the bike. Likely none
do to the age, been sitting (would have been repossessed already).

Being it's been knocked over, it's very possible the front main fairing stay (that holds the nose cone on) can be bent.
Sit on the bike, on the center stand, put the handlebars forward. Now look straight ahead to see of the cowling is crooked, the gaps between the tank
and fairing are the same. It would be obvious.. (My last 0 MPH tip over, not running, set me back $600-no tank damage-just parts).

Post some pic's if you can before you pop for it if possible.

Just starting using this site, very easy, free, no ads:
https://postimages.org/login?logout=e7bec25529518ff3da5fbcbf5290a2134c1957d45fbb56d91513114494300675

A non-serviceable fuel pump filter:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After sitting for two years I would not try to start it. Critters have been known to eat through the air filter and move in. So the air box needs opened and inspected.

Next biggy in my book is the cylinders are dry of oil and cranking it over without first lubricating them (pistons, rings, cylinder walls) will take life from the engine.

It would be best to pull the spark plugs and add engine oil to each. Then on the right side of the crankcase remove the center cover and rotate the engine by hand clockwise. There is 12mm bolt on the cranks end.

As for the forks, inspect them for rust pits before jumping on the bike or moving it at all. Wipe the first 5in of the stanchion tubes with rag and engine oil to remove surface rust. Same goes for the rear shock. Hopefully this will reduce the chances of murdering the seals.

Buy it. Plan on trailering it home. Worst case is mice eating wires. Be ready to disconnect battery once powered up. Beyond that, remove and clean the tank of debris before ever powering it up.

Basically taking your time now will save a bunch of loot from damaging items that need attention now.

These bikes are not known for mechanical failures. If dude seems honest and it was noise free and functional when parked, it is likely sound and a good investment.

Adding to what others mentioned may be the ignition barrel and head bearings. It is a vehicle meant to be weathered but these areas may need attention.

Good luck and ask away.... Plugs, battery, and elbow grease are cheap.... don't be anxious to ride before you buy.

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Scott,
Thank you for the extra points too look for.

I will absolutely do what you suggested to check the front fairing.

I will try to drive by and get some pics of it this weekend.

Silas

Last edited:

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
After sitting for two years I would not try to start it. Critters have been known to eat through the air filter and move in. So the air box needs opened and inspected.

Next biggy in my book is the cylinders are dry of oil and cranking it over without first lubricating them (pistons, rings, cylinder walls) will take life from the engine.

It would be best to pull the spark plugs and add engine oil to each. Then on the right side of the crankcase remove the center cover and rotate the engine by hand clockwise. There is 12mm bolt on the cranks end.

As for the forks, inspect them for rust pits before jumping on the bike or moving it at all. Wipe the first 5in of the stanchion tubes with rag and engine oil to remove surface rust. Same goes for the rear shock. Hopefully this will reduce the chances of murdering the seals.

Buy it. Plan on trailering it home. Worst case is mice eating wires. Be ready to disconnect battery once powered up. Beyond that, remove and clean the tank of debris before ever powering it up.

Basically taking your time now will save a bunch of loot from damaging items that need attention now.

These bikes are not known for mechanical failures. If dude seems honest and it was noise free and functional when parked, it is likely sound and a good investment.

Adding to what others mentioned may be the ignition barrel and head bearings. It is a vehicle meant to be weathered but these areas may need attention.

Good luck and ask away.... Plugs, battery, and elbow grease are cheap.... don't be anxious to ride before you buy.

Hello FinnalImpact.
Thank you for these tips and you make some really good points.

I believe one of the front seals is already busted.

I did a little googling on parts pricing and I think I will spend about $600-$700 to get it mechanically ready. by doing everything everyone has suggested here. There is still the cosmetic part that needs some caring.

I am indeed a little reluctant in buying it without running but as you mentioned a lot needs to be done in order to get it running.

They person that told me about it is a buddy that provides service to the seller and he said the bike has been just sitting there. (google pictures from previous post corroborate that). The dude is more experienced and maybe in his 50's I really don't think he stopped riding due to lack of money, just time/priority.
So he does seem honest and disinterested in having a motorcycle.

I will go check it out get some pics and come back..

Once again, thank you much!
Silas

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Sitting outside TWO years? Pull out 600 cash or walk away after leaving him your contact information on when he can get close to your offer. That bike could be toast and then all you can do is part it out.

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
^That's my thought as well. Unless you can get it for a bargain and are interested in doing all the necessary work in order to make it road worthy I'd avoid it.
My view would be different if it AT LEAST was kept under a protective cover all this time!

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
Sitting outside TWO years? Pull out 600 cash or walk away after leaving him your contact information on when he can get close to your offer. That bike could be toast and then all you can do is part it out.

Hello Red Wazp.

Do you mind sharing what are the points of concern?

Would the bike be toast from just sitting out there or you think it was no longer working and he put it there for this reason?

I will be going there to check it out today.

I was going to offer 750. Since i'm not sure what I'm getting into.

I also thought about paying part of the asking price conditioned that I can run the bike, once it is running, I could give him the difference.

I like the idea of a project bike.:)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Pujazuba,

Can you share your concerns as well please?

Also, what do you consider a bargain?

Thank You,

Silas

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest issue from sitting (outside even worse, or inside) is leaving it with a partially full fuel tank.

Moisture collects and rusts out the fuel tank-usually big time... Start the bike, the fuel pump sucks in
the rust, gets ruined and may pass crap on to the injectors (if it doesn't seize up immediately).

So your talking about repair(or replace the tank), fuel pump issues-VERY LIKELY, maybe injectors
(not as likely as the pump will jam up and fail).

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't try to start this bike without replacing the fuel and checking the tank for rust. Just don't.

You're going to have to gamble a bit if you want it. Tow it somewhere and replace the fuel and oil before trying to start. If it runs, then you're looking at the rest of the maintenance mentioned in the thread.

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest issue from sitting (outside even worse, or inside) is leaving it with a partially full fuel tank.

Moisture collects and rusts out the fuel tank-usually big time... Start the bike, the fuel pump sucks in
the rust, gets ruined and may pass crap on to the injectors (if it doesn't seize up immediately).

So your talking about repair(or replace the tank), fuel pump issues-VERY LIKELY, maybe injectors
(not as likely as the pump will jam up and fail).

Thank You Scott, I'll let everyone know the outcome.

silasbr

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't try to start this bike without replacing the fuel and checking the tank for rust. Just don't.

You're going to have to gamble a bit if you want it. Tow it somewhere and replace the fuel and oil before trying to start. If it runs, then you're looking at the rest of the maintenance mentioned in the thread.

Hello Zixaq,

I will definitely do the following:

1 - Check for Rust in Fuel tank.
2 - Remove old fuel.
3 - Remove old Oil and filter
4 - Remove air filter to clean and check for bugs and etc.
5 - Remove spark plug, spray smog or something to add a little lube to the cylinder.
6 - Check Coolant level.

7 - Replenish all fluid levels.

Put everything back together.

Cross fingers and try to start it.

If anyone can pitch in on anything I may have missed.

Thank You all for all the help.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Your on the right track and as long as you are willing / wanting to do all that's needed you will be fine. I like your attitude which will make bringing this bike back to life more fun. IT is a Japanese bike which are known to run and run and run. Waiting to hear what you got it for. ;)

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of more things for your list -

Rubber doesn't last long in the sun,
Get new tires, the old ones will be hard / cracked so will be a risk of a blowout and have little grip.
The seat will most likely need recovering, being in the sun that long.

I'd buy it anyway. Good luck.