Buy it if its been dropped?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
looking at potentially a sweet deal, from the pics it looks like it was a slow low side, mainly just cosmetic stuff (from the pics) its got 3000 miles on it and it 2900 bucks.... thoughts? normally i'd stay away from anything thats been dropped but the damage doesnt look too bad from pics and its a sweet deal for somethin with low miles...thanks ahead of time!

Edit: its a 2007

http://i53.tinypic.com/2f0a8ea.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/23ljcjk.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/x4orr.jpg

Cosmetic damage it looks like, idk how much plastic is for these bikes but i can live w scratches for that price

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't mention what year it is, but that price for those miles would be a great deal for almost any year. I'd ask for a test ride, go to your favorite mechanic, have him/her check it out, and buy it if the prognosis is good, as long as you can stand whatever road rash is there.
Let us know what happens! :thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't mention what year it is, but that price for those miles would be a great deal for almost any year. I'd ask for a test ride, go to your favorite mechanic, have him/her check it out, and buy it if the prognosis is good, as long as you can stand whatever road rash is there.
Let us know what happens! :thumbup:

Year and pics added :thumbup:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
The rear grab handle section is all one piece, and pricey. The main front fairing is also pricey. Sometimes they do appear on this forum for sale though, so you can save some cash there if any pop up.

I'd go over that bike with a fine toothed comb though. Pop the seat, lift up the tank and look very closely with a flash light. If you don't know what to look for, bring along someone who does. You'll want to look at the frame, throttle bodies, and other bits like checking to make sure the front forks aren't tweaked. Looks like it's been sitting for some time as well, which raises some concerns, such as why has it been left for so long? Is it not ride-able? Just take your time, and don't rush into it. If it all checks out ok, then maybe haggle the price down a little, and get yourself a good deal! :thumbup:

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my '05 a couple years ago with similar problems, mostly scratches to the bar ends and the stator cover. I think it's a good way to get a nice machine at a very discounted price. If you're patient, you'll find the plastics for sale as people part out bikes.

If you're mechanically inclined, here's a good link for inspecting used bikes:
Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my '05 a couple years ago with similar problems, mostly scratches to the bar ends and the stator cover. I think it's a good way to get a nice machine at a very discounted price. If you're patient, you'll find the plastics for sale as people part out bikes.

If you're mechanically inclined, here's a good link for inspecting used bikes:
Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

Great link, and yeah thats what i was thinking, as long as theres nothing seriously wrong with the bike i can live with the scratches for the low price until i find some cheap plastic...may have to make a call tomorrow :thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW my bike has been crashed and dropped and is still a perfect bike with lots of miles and years left in it. This is not always the case. Most bikes are dropped at some point, lots are crashed.

If you're ever goinig to by a USED dual sport or dirtbike, you will need to accept that it's been crashed numerous times. Hell, I've owned my current dual sport for a year now and I've crashed it off road 6 or 7 times.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
You could buy the front shroud eye piece to fix the scratches on the fairing for like $80. If you end up getting this bike.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Most bikes are dropped at some point, lots are crashed.

Not true in my experience although on this site it seems many FZ6's owners drop their machines regularly, whether on the road or in their driveways. Experienced riders don't drop their bikes.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
BS, a rider that has never dropped a bike needs to get out more

and as for that bike, looks minor, cosmetic, but I could still not buy one that looks that way

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Not true in my experience although on this site it seems many FZ6's owners drop their machines regularly, whether on the road or in their driveways. Experienced riders don't drop their bikes.

I agree. However, I wouldn't say that "most motorcycles" on the market are owned by what I would consider experienced riders. I for one was still pretty green when I bought my FZ6 six years ago. Plus, you're not going to tell me that 90% of every used dual sport out there that has been ridden properly and gone places hasn't been crashed and/or dropped. :)

The market place is full of dropped/crash/molested bikes...some of them are not worth buying, some are. That's my point and it's applicable to the OP.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was dropped by the previous owner. After careful inspection and a test ride, all I could see was cosmetic damage.

The bike rides fine and far as I can tell and I save some $$$. No cracks in the frame or other major parts. As others have said, take your time looking and bring a flashlight. Good luck!

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. However, I wouldn't say that "most motorcycles" on the market are owned by what I would consider experienced riders. I for one was still pretty green when I bought my FZ6 six years ago. Plus, you're not going to tell me that 90% of every used dual sport out there that has been ridden properly and gone places hasn't been crashed and/or dropped. :)

The market place is full of dropped/crash/molested bikes...some of them are not worth buying, some are. That's my point and it's applicable to the OP.

I'm talking pure street bikes, not dual purpose bikes. The old axiom that there are only two types of riders; those who have dropped their bikes and those that will, is nonsense. I know many riders who have not crashed their bikes over many years, and who certainly not dropped their machines in their driveways. No rider should think that it is inevitable that he will drop his bike. That will end up being a self fulfilling prophecy.

BS, a rider that has never dropped a bike needs to get out more

Never go riding with the thought that it is inevitable that you will eventually crash. That's a bad attitude.

Last edited:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm talking pure street bikes, not dual purpose bikes. The old axiom that there are only two types of riders; those who have dropped their bikes and those that will, is nonsense. I know many riders who have not crashed their bikes over many years, and who certainly not dropped their machines in their driveways. No rider should think that it is inevitable that he will drop his bike. That will end up being a self fulfilling prophecy.

Never go riding with the thought that it is inevitable that you will eventually crash. That's a bad attitude.

I had the same attitude about never going to drop the bike or accident. Guess what, I dropped my first bike in the first two months and had two accidents (within 2 months) a few months later. IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. There's just too many variables out there and time is not on your side. Just get yourself some good frame sliders and you're good.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

you can ride, and survive a crash, and minimize bike damage if you are prepared for it

ignoring the reality that it is likely to happen one day increases your chances of dying

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to go against the tide here. For $500-600 more bucks, you can get one that hasn't been down and has similar mileage. Heck 10-15K is no big deal for a well maintained FZ6 and the market is full of them! I'd wait - that way you won't be looking at the damaged parts all the time.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to go against the tide here. For $500-600 more bucks, you can get one that hasn't been down and has similar mileage. Heck 10-15K is no big deal for a well maintained FZ6 and the market is full of them! I'd wait - that way you won't be looking at the damaged parts all the time.

Was thinking that myself, just wait for a good deal. i don't have the cash to throw at a bike quite yet anyhow, at least not for plastics... figure if i save 600 more i get a decent fz6 with low miles with no scrapes lol

Also on the other comments I'd like to point out that while thinking you will eventually crash may lead to it, you also cant go about thinking "oh, i'll never crash" you've gotta expect the unexpected, thinking you're invincible will get you killed. (I Come from dirt mind you so i've been in A LOT of wrecks :spank:) Ride with the mentality that it's not likely you'll crash but keep it in the back of your mind that you always could (even the most skilled rider can't avoid some things). Caution saves lives! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dropping a bike and crashing a bike are 2 completely different things.

Many people, experienced or not, have dropped their bikes - lost footing whilst moving it etc. Sometimes they haven't had the side-stand down correctly and they bike's fallen over. This is classed as dropping the bike. This can happen to experienced riders or newbies.

I also don't think it's inevitable that you WILL crash or WILL drop your bike.

:)

Last edited:

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Does not look to bad at all. Easy to fix if you feel you want to . I crashed mine into a metal gaurdraid at 50km and my bike to a beating but was still able to drive it. Bought it off insurance company for 750 and fixed it up. Does that bike have some big bar risers on it or am I seeing things?

BEFORE
after.jpg

AFTER
IMG_2068.jpg