Bump Starting question

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bump Starting or push starting.. whatever they call it.. basically here is the setup.. over the winter the battery must have finally kicked it.. got 6 years out of the original so no complaints there.. But i have had to bump start it a few times due to wanting to ride and not wanting to wait for hte new battery to get here.. im not doing any damage to the bike (and or stator) by doing this right?? this is my first time ever having to start the bike this way (and i dont plan on doing more than a few more times) but am i going to hurt anything on it? thanks all :thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I never heard of push (or "bump") starting being hard on something. I've done it on my FZ6 also. About the only thing it's hard on is probably your leg muscles due to having push the poor machine. As far as I can see, it's the same principle as when kick starting a bike, or pulling the rope on a lawnmower to start it.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The bump start is not the issue, the extra loading on the alternator trying to charge up a faulty battery is 'potentially' the bigger stress on the system.

No additional harm will come about from the bump start.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never heard of push (or "bump") starting being hard on something. I've done it on my FZ6 also. About the only thing it's hard on is probably your leg muscles due to having push the poor machine. As far as I can see, it's the same principle as when kick starting a bike, or pulling the rope on a lawnmower to start it.

actually earlier i pushed it along to get it going.. and when i drove it back to the parking spot so that i could get the rest of my gear on, i forgot to put it into neutral and I put the kickstand down.. engine cuts out... realized what had happened ,I was like "man your kidding me".. So back out to push start it one more time.. felt like such a tool :thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The bump start is not the issue, the extra loading on the alternator trying to charge up a faulty battery is 'potentially' the bigger stress on the system.

No additional harm will come about from the bump start.

I dunno if you would call an old battery faulty.. I mean its just old and for some reason over the winter it decided not to hold a charge anymore.. Had it tendered and everything.. wonder if it would still be a potential stress knowing that.. i don't really plan on ridding it again till i have a new battery anyways, but wondering if i perhaps caused it some harm by ridding it around in the first place :(

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
There is a bit more stress on the charging system as a result of the weak battery, but I don't think it's anything to get excited about. If you rode with a totally dead battery for an entire summer.... I think then there would be a chance you could damage the stator. A few days? Not likely at all.

Batteries never completely recover all of the surface area they discharge, when they recharge. The chemical conversion back and forth is not 100%... there are impurities in the fluid that will chemically bind to the plates, and reduce the area that can accept a charge.

The non-rechageable area accumulates over the life of the battery, until it cannot accept enough charge to do the job anymore. That's what a load test measures.. the remaining useable surface area's charge.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a bit more stress on the charging system as a result of the weak battery, but I don't think it's anything to get excited about. If you rode with a totally dead battery for an entire summer.... I think then there would be a chance you could damage the stator. A few days? Not likely at all.

Batteries never completely recover all of the surface area they discharge, when they recharge. The chemical conversion back and forth is not 100%... there are impurities in the fluid that will chemically bind to the plates, and reduce the area that can accept a charge.

The non-rechageable area accumulates over the life of the battery, until it cannot accept enough charge to do the job anymore. That's what a load test measures.. the remaining useable surface area's charge.

interesting about the battery.. i never really knew the inner workings of the charging structure.. cool though.. makes me wonder if it is the type of ridding style that had made my old battery last so long.. i know that charge system kicks in at around what 4.5k to 7k for optimum charging (i think).. its funny because that is my typical rev zone while doing most of my riding.. (well most miles over the last 6 years)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I still had the OEM battery in my 2005 when I sold it in '10... my 2000 Echo had a battery last 7 years. That one, I didn't have a battery tender on.

My lawn tractor battery lasted 5 seasons, sharing the Battery tender junior I used on the FZ6.

Keeping the thing topped up seems to increase it's life... less of the plate is discharged, so less can get contaminated and become inert.

Overcharging results in the same sort of effect, quicker... when the electrolyte chemically breaks down and the hydrogen is vented, the sulfur from the acid in the mix, bonds to the plates.... 'sulphates'.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The most stress caused by bump starting occurs to your heart, lungs and legs.
Especially whilst in full gear. And if you a short arse like me lol.

Nelly

Last edited:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The most stress caused by bump starting occurs to your heart, lungs and legs.
Especially whilst in full gear. And if you a short arse like me lol.

Nelly

LOL,what did happen to that sig regarding your bump starting adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've bump started mine a couple of times and it fired first time. Make sure the kill switch is on run! Turn the key, use second gear, pull the clutch, get it rolling, hop on side-saddle and drop the clutch. Job done.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL,what did happen to that sig regarding your bump starting adventure.
Ha ha, bad memories mate. Anyway that was nothing compared to trying to get the bike off the floor during my mountain adventure. And then bump starting it.
Nelly
[sorry mate edited my typo out of you post]

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A faulty battery could have an internal short, one or more cell that are shorted.
Bump starting is probably okay in an emergency but not knowing the nature of the fault in a failed battery could result in damage to the charging system. Probably okay in a battery that's lost it's depth of charge but unless you know what type of failure I would trust the concept of replacing the battery ASAP. :D

Dmitry

Reaction score
Visit site
Isnt your bike fuel injected?I have always heard that you cannot push start a fuel injected bike.

No, it does not affect it. Push started my Fazer a couple of times as well. Only things with automatic transmissions can't be started. Even then it is possible, but only if you do not value the transmission.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well.. sold a photo printer on ebay.. new battery next week.. its cool cuz the weather sucks around here now anyways...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
No, it does not affect it. Push started my Fazer a couple of times as well. Only things with automatic transmissions can't be started. Even then it is possible, but only if you do not value the transmission.

Yep, it's cool to push start it. Try hitting the engine kill switch at speed, then flicking it back on.

Just, um, make sure there's not too many people around and hang on. And make sure you're at least in 3rd. Otherwise it's about the same effect as down shifting from 3rd to 2nd without the clutch and lots of throttle. Weee! ;)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally would only do it to get home as it is taxing the system to its limits especially when/if you have open cells. A low battery from a short discharge but is too weak to start the bike, ya, run it and charge it.

Hint you'll find the limits when the hi beams are on, its at idle and you tap the brakes and the engine dies because the alternator can't supply enough current to run everything. :eek: Use low beam only.

As for bumping it spin up the engine, Its not gonna hurt anything. If something is gonna break, its better its at walking speed than 100! :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A faulty battery could have an internal short, one or more cell that are shorted.
Bump starting is probably okay in an emergency but not knowing the nature of the fault in a failed battery could result in damage to the charging system. Probably okay in a battery that's lost it's depth of charge but unless you know what type of failure I would trust the concept of replacing the battery ASAP. :D

I think you're right on! :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have access to the battery (BMW plug, cig lighter, etc), you can jump start the bike from a car battery (12volt).

Just make sure the car IS NOT RUNNING....

I just trouble shooted a VT1100 with a brand new "Bike Master" battery. Jumped it letting it stay connected several minutes, cranked right up.. Disconnected it bike kept running on the bikes electrics. Turned it off, hit the starter, battery back down to 4 volts-this was a BRAND NEW BATTERY...