Budget fighter

Tailgun

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I stubled across a craigsligt add I couldn't turn down. I picked up a lightly crashed 04 FZ6 for $1200. It had no headlights, the fairings were toast, the front tire wouldnt hold air, the handlebars were bent, the front wheel was tracking way left, and the tank was dented. Beyond that it was good to go, so I brought it home and got to work.

I ditched most of the remaining tail plastic as well as the heavy under seat exhaust.

I put on drag bars, bar end mirrors and, a round headlight.

The midpipe was replaced with a custom glas pack muffler welded up by a local shop that sounds very similar to the two bros setup (with a lot less weight).

I lopped off the remaining brackets from the subframe and now its on the road.

Lots more to come but I'm goign to keep this a rolling project!
56452d1428955869-budget-fighter-imag2021_1-jpg

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome! I'd love to see more pictures once you get around to it! I recently did my naked conversion, but I took a slightly different route (a lot less cutting) and I went with a dual headlight look. If you could get an exhaust video, I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who wants to hear that bike roar!:rockon:

Tailgun

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, here's a couple more pics where you can see the exhaust changes. They aren't exactly current, but close enough.

The midpipe exhaust is a Jones Exhaust 9" glasspack with the OEM tailpipe to midpipe clamp welded on the inlet and a 45deg bend welded on the outlet. I now have a short harley baffle in the end of the pipe just to bring down the DBs a bit. As you can see HERE the muffler was only $17 and it was welded up locally by a muffler shop for only $20.
SO... this is my $37 stealth midpipe muffler mod ;)

The exhaust does hit the new aluminum tread plate under seat tray I've made, but I insulated it enough internally that it doesnt affect the electronics hiding under the seat.

BTW the closeup pic was before it was completely mounted with a hardware strap. (don't worry I'm not going to let it vibrate itself lose)

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, here's a couple more pics where you can see the exhaust changes. They aren't exactly current, but close enough.

The midpipe exhaust is a Jones Exhaust 9" glasspack with the OEM tailpipe to midpipe clamp welded on the inlet and a 45deg bend welded on the outlet. I now have a short harley baffle in the end of the pipe just to bring down the DBs a bit. As you can see from the link the muffler was only $17 and it was welded up locally by a muffler shop for only $20.

The exhaust does hit the new aluminum tread plate under seat tray I've made, but I insulated it enough internally that it doesnt affect the electronics hiding under the seat.

BTW the closeup pic was before it was completely mounted with a hardware strap. (don't worry I'm not going to let it vibrate itself lose)

Nice work on the bike, keep going.:thumbup:
Once ready, please upload a video in YT, if it is not too much to ask.!Blah

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site

The midpipe exhaust is a Jones Exhaust 9" glasspack with the OEM tailpipe to midpipe clamp welded on the inlet and a 45deg bend welded on the outlet. I now have a short harley baffle in the end of the pipe just to bring down the DBs a bit. As you can see HERE the muffler was only $17 and it was welded up locally by a muffler shop for only $20.

Nice! Great job.

Do your control pods hit the tank at full turn? What make model are the bars if you don't mind?

Tailgun

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! Great job.

Do your control pods hit the tank at full turn? What make model are the bars if you don't mind?

The bars are random no name ebay drag bars, and no they do not hit the tank. At full turn the plastic pods come within about 2mm of the surface.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
The bars are random no name ebay drag bars, and no they do not hit the tank. At full turn the plastic pods come within about 2mm of the surface.

Great thanks. No rise i guess, maybe less bend (pull back) than FZ1 bars, which I tried, but had to be ever so slightly turned up to clear the tank. But i didn't like the feel.

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
Is that a CB headlight?

I'm looking to replace the motocross headlight PO put on there. It has two lights, one for low and one for high beam. I've read there's a mod you have to do in order to get both working without frying the light, did you do this or do you simply just use a low beam?

Tailgun

Reaction score
Visit site
Is that a CB headlight?

I'm looking to replace the motocross headlight PO put on there. It has two lights, one for low and one for high beam. I've read there's a mod you have to do in order to get both working without frying the light, did you do this or do you simply just use a low beam?

No, its not a CB headlight. Its another random ebay find. This has been a low budget build so far. The headlight housing cost $25 shipped here's the one I bought For Yamaha YBR125 YBR 125 2002 2013 Round 7" Housing Motorcycle Headlight | eBay

FYI Here's the bar I used for $25 shipped Black Drag Style Bar Handlebar 7 8 Suzuki GT750 GT380 GT550 GS650 GS450 GS750 | eBay

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you do the single headlight mod? The one where hi/low beams work without overheating the bulb.

Also what kind of mount are you using for the speedo?

afx600

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice bike even if it is blue! Never really realized how much space the undertail exhaust takes up until I see it removed. I noticed you're in Tennessee! Same here! :cheer:

Tailgun

Reaction score
Visit site
seansi Yes the bike has the hi/low headlight mod. It uses an h4 bulb and only one filament is lit at a time. The spedo bracket it a single piece of aluminum bar stock bent to lower the gauge down close to the headlight. 3M tape and one of the existign mountign screws holds it in place.

BlackAndBlue The resonator is a 9" glass pack with 1.75" inlet and outlet. I had a local muffler shop weld a bend to the top of it and one of the stock adaptor clamps to the bottom for $20. The top is secured to the original mounting point with a loop of hardware strap.

afx600 Thanks, I'm in Nashville TN BTW.

afx600

Reaction score
Visit site
seansi Yes the bike has the hi/low headlight mod. It uses an h4 bulb and only one filament is lit at a time. The spedo bracket it a single piece of aluminum bar stock bent to lower the gauge down close to the headlight. 3M tape and one of the existign mountign screws holds it in place.

BlackAndBlue The resonator is a 9" glass pack with 1.75" inlet and outlet. I had a local muffler shop weld a bend to the top of it and one of the stock adaptor clamps to the bottom for $20. The top is secured to the original mounting point with a loop of hardware strap.

afx600 Thanks, I'm in Nashville TN BTW.

Pretty close to me then I travel through Nashville almost everyday to get to work in Antioch. I live over here in Hendersonville/Madison right on the line basically. If you're on Facebook, and if you're not already added. Get added to the Nashville Area Motorcycle Riders page. If you're not on there you can PM me and I'll post on the page to get you added.

Tailgun

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty close to me then I travel through Nashville almost everyday to get to work in Antioch. I live over here in Hendersonville/Madison right on the line basically. If you're on Facebook, and if you're not already added. Get added to the Nashville Area Motorcycle Riders page. If you're not on there you can PM me and I'll post on the page to get you added.

Hey, we're practically neighbors. I'm between Hendersonville and Gallatin and work in Brentwood. I'm on the Nashville Area Motorcycle Riders page as well, but havent been in a habit of checking it since I havent had a bike fort a while. Looks like there's a bike night tonight in Madison, you going?

afx600

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, we're practically neighbors. I'm between Hendersonville and Gallatin and work in Brentwood. I'm on the Nashville Area Motorcycle Riders page as well, but havent been in a habit of checking it since I havent had a bike fort a while. Looks like there's a bike night tonight in Madison, you going?

Small world indeed. I check it occasionally for bike nights and what not. I most likely will go to it since I have the night off, and it's close. :thumbup: