Bringing Home a 2005 FZ6 on Monday...

bergj1986

Helmet Hair
Reaction score
Visit site
Bought this bike off CL: 2005-YAMAHA FZ6 (MINT COND.)

Took it for a test ride, rode very well, much more power than I expected. The M4 exhaust system sounds like pure anger, I love it! The PO modified the headlight wiring to have both headlights on @ low beam and one bulb on high beam and one at low beam when the headlight switched is in the high beam position. Mods include Piug Doube Bubble windscreen and M4 exhaust.

So far I know it needs a new front tire as the one currently installed is at the wear bars. Other than that, the bike is ready to go!

Anything I should know about this bike? Any tips, hints, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! This is my first bike with fuel injection, all of my previous bikes had carbs.

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
m4 exhaust? never heard of it. but ya sounds sweet tho man. great bike.

a 2005 with an m4 exhaust? You mean like this:

oh7k07.jpg

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: and congrats! Excellent choice.

Just make sure you run the VIN through the dealer to see if the bike has had the TPS replaced and have them do it if it shows no record of this. It's a recall and will not cost you anything more than time.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

bergj1986

Helmet Hair
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip dean, I'll be sure to check that out. I've done that maintenance on dirt bikes, those gunk up really fast!

I was thinking I'd like to do an oil change this weekend, do I really need to use motorcycle-specific oil? I was thinking of getting fully-synthetic car oil and make sure it isn't energy conserving.

I already downloaded the owner's manual from Bomeman's site, very helpful!

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Shell Rotella T synthetic. As you mentioned, other non energy conserving oils should be fine. I use Shell because a lot of people have experience with it on this fourm

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on frame sliders, and fork & axle sliders too, if budget permits, and if you want a bit of extra grunt, a PCIII, a custom map dyno tune, and for a bit of extra pull down low...maybe -1 on the front sprocket to start with.

:thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be glad you had them when something unexpected comes up.