Breaking down.... Going to winterize

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to try and ride through the winter. I was determined it can be done. But after two weeks of no riding due to snow and crap on the road, I've come to the conclusion that I should just get her stored for the winter. There is just too much sand and salt on the roads here through the winter to ride. Not saying it cant be done, but I just don't want to put myself or my bike through that.
Here's my checklist, let me know if I missed anything.
Oil, less than 500 miles on Motul synthetic. I'm just going to leave it in.
Gas, top off, add stabil.
Tires, inflate to 40 psi, put her on the center stand.
Wash, wax, cover, lock.
Battery, here's where it gets tricky. I live in an apartment with covered parking. No outlet by the bike. I have a tender, but obviously need to remove the battery to use it. How can I do that with a full tank of fuel? I can remove it with the tank almost empty, the fill with a gas can. But then I have to put it back with a full tank. Any advice?

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also am about to give up, i almost rode to work today but it is threatening 1-3 inches of snow tonight, paired with 2 weeks of no riding and be seeing that my bike on it's side because the frozen ground thawed and it sank and fell over... i am done, mother nature wants it in my basement and who am i to argue...

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure if is recommended or if I am jsut lucky but I have bungied my tank back when it was full and did not have an issue.

but becareful as you do need to fill it with gas to the top
to avoid corrosion (sp?)

---also I refuse to give in to winter, but that sand/gravel gunk on the roads is evil

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Here's my checklist, let me know if I missed anything.
Oil, less than 500 miles on Motul synthetic. I'm just going to leave it in.
Gas, top off, add stabil.
Tires, inflate to 40 psi, put her on the center stand.
Wash, wax, cover, lock.
Battery, here's where it gets tricky. I live in an apartment with covered parking. No outlet by the bike. I have a tender, but obviously need to remove the battery to use it. How can I do that with a full tank of fuel? I can remove it with the tank almost empty, the fill with a gas can. But then I have to put it back with a full tank. Any advice?

I normally take all my fearings off, to clean and wax em indside ut. Also I use a couple of hours on the chain, (WD40, toothbrush, cloth, Relube).

Regarding the fuel, I normally clamp up the two hoses under the bike, using a couple of speedclamps (Those you use as clamps when you glue stuff together). The two hoses are marked with a white line. I fold them up and clamp em, and that holds just fine. After the job is done, and the tank is back in place, you should have a plastic cointainer of some sort under thehoses when you release the clamps, - to pick up the small amount of fuel that is left inthere.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang that sucks man...it looks like it's cold all over!

I rode to work in 44 F here in Santa Monica! eek!

I would be happy to ride with 44 degrees... and it will get up to that today, but snow is coming tonight and i don;t want to get stuck in that, more snow this weekend too...:spank:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Put a clean drip pan under the hoses and tip the tank anyway. Get the battery out as quick as you can without error and then put the tank back down. It shouldn't be a lot of fuel that comes out in the short time.

You didn't miss anything that I can see. My only other suggestion is to take the seat off and take that inside to. Freezing, even under the cover is just a little bit of harshness you can avoid by keeping it warm for the winter. :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not leave the battery in? I've never had any issues the last 2 winters.

if you do it is a good idea to put a battery tender on it as batteries will slowly discharge over time, if it goes 100% dead then there is a chance that it won't charge again. just cheap insurance. memory items will also add to this draw, clock, trip odometers, ECU memory, ect...

FancaR

russian frik )
Reaction score
Visit site
i was riding till 12 oct.

one day in spring, i rode in -4 C.
few pics from russia : )
c1c4f2e51af0cace9c.jpg

7c29cc3f644278fc55.jpg

more photos:
Picasa Web Albums - lexa.ee - 15 12 2007 Ja...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding the fuel, I normally clamp up the two hoses under the bike, using a couple of speedclamps (Those you use as clamps when you glue stuff together). The two hoses are marked with a white line. I fold them up and clamp em, and that holds just fine. After the job is done, and the tank is back in place, you should have a plastic cointainer of some sort under thehoses when you release the clamps, - to pick up the small amount of fuel that is left inthere.

Thanks. That's a good idea. I'd prefer to keep the fuel contained as opposed to letting it drip. A little spark from the battery and fuel fumes are a very bad combo. At least this way I can control when the fuel/fumes escape.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you do it is a good idea to put a battery tender on it as batteries will slowly discharge over time, if it goes 100% dead then there is a chance that it won't charge again. just cheap insurance. memory items will also add to this draw, clock, trip odometers, ECU memory, ect...

Rob is correct. If the battery reaches total discharge, it will freeze and crack anyway. Best to remove it and store it inside.