Brave, dumb, or getting comfortable

danedray

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

First post here. I got a black FZ6 about a month ago brand new with one mile on it. 4 weeks later I have 1100 miles on it. Damn Gremlins!

anyway.. I rode dirt bikes from when i was about 5 till about 18 or so. Im 39 as of a few days ago. I was trying to take it easy wanting to learn to ride again with my new bike, especially all my experience is with dirt.

But lately, within the last week or so, my street riding is taking the charastics of my dirt riding. I was never crazy as hell on dirt. but I rode the bike.

The first time i rode the street bike after riding for so long 45mph felt like 100 and that was a country road.

Now i get on the highway and look down at the meter and im like doing 90mph. admit it. it is easy to do. tuck on these FZ6's and you are cruizing if you happen to.

My question is do you think im pushing it too soon? my dirt days (and skills) are comming back. but sometimes i scare myself a little. But its SO F'n FUN!

I guess i should throttle back and get that first oil change.

thrashomatic on AIM.
Later.

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
You're getting comfortable.. take it easy and always be scared of drivers around you. Drive the thing and have fun out there.

I never as much sat on a bike in my life (22 years old). I got my BRAND NEW '08 FZ6 delivered to my house. Five minutes after the truck left, I was on it and driving it up and down my street in first gear. After a week of this, I went in traffic. I was doing 60 MPH within an hour of my first real ride.

W

wrightme43

Its cheaper to just buy the stuff to do it yourself if you havent already got it.

Read our oil threads, and reccomended filter theads.

Have you practiced stopping from 90? Like a oh **** I gots to be stopping right freaking now stopping?

If your interested Barnes and Noble will have some great books to help you become a more skillful rider on the street, and help to lower the risks and increase the fun.

they are all posted in essential reading.

I hope you enjoy your bike and man the black ones look nice.

W

wrightme43

Oh yeah, seriously change your oil man. You may of been on oil filter bypass for quite a few miles now. New engines clog them up quick.

danedray

Reaction score
Visit site
had one of those oh sh***t -gotta stop now times last night. SOME people, im not gonna name names, in NC dont know how to merge! You know who you are! LOL

W

wrightme43

Depends man.

Some dude in england got if I remember right over 100k out of a R6. Thats our engine but were detuned for torque and gentleness and love. LOL

Keep it clean and love on it, and it should last. Things break though so you just never know.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick heads-up. Most riders have their first crash when their confidence first builds. You start pushing a bit more each time, and eventually you will find the limits of the bike.
My crash happened within my first 1,700 miles. At about 1,500 I started to feel really comfortable on the bike; I had read lots of books and the bike felt solid underneath me as I was applying the techniques I learned. I leaned a little more each time, took my favorite turns a bit faster each time. I went for a ride with some friends on a VERY twisty road and came in a little too hot for an unexpectedly tight turn. Next thing I know, the rear wheel is locked, my front tire goes off the road and I highsided right into the side of the road. Luckily I was fully geared and came out just bruised.
Just saying, confidence will get you in trouble. Make sure you keep yourself in check. Go check out your bike's limits with a fun track day.

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Oh yeah, seriously change your oil man. You may of been on oil filter bypass for quite a few miles now. New engines clog them up quick.

No they don't (clog up quick) and haven't for years. Don't believe it, cut the filter open when you change the oil on a modern machine (cage or bike). Also, we haven't used non-detergent break in oil in years; they get good stuff right from the start. I will however say that 600 mile oil change is more than an oil change (or should be) as it gives the selling dealer a chance to check the bike over. Malcolm Smith's in Riverside California is great for this. If you do the 600 mile service on your own be sure to get the torque wrench out and check things like the head bearing torque, axle torque, engine mount bolt torque and so on as you will often find some things aren't as they should be.

FYI: An oil filter goes to by-pass so the engine doesn't grenade on you due to oil starvation. If it does get to the point of by-pass that poor engine has had some serious crap running through it hence the reason it went to by-pass.

As to riding it too hard. I pretty much ride the bike (new) as I would any other time although I did switch to full synthetic at like 300 miles and that made a huge difference.

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
Go to a PepBoys right now and pick up a Purolator filter, number PL14612 for the standard size, or I get the longer one, PL14610.

Get some Rotella-T 5W 40 full synthetic, it can be had by the gallon for $17.00.

You HAVE to change that break in oil out at 600mi, but since you went so long, and will procrastinate, stick with synthetic as it holds up a little longer than regular oil and the longer filter.

I come from the same type of background, riding mostly dirt bikes, but have also "gone and done it", by riding the hell out of my FZ6.
Just watch the idiots around you, and stay close to your comfort zone so we don't have to read about your crash here.
:)

Definately go out to a big parking lot and practice emergency stops.
Try them at 25mph, 45mph, 60mph, and even 80mph.
The front brake is WAY more useful on street bikes than in the dirt and locking up the rear wheel can be fatal.

Go ahead and fool around on it in a safe place.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the life expectancy of an FZ6?

Yours or the ones like ours with early oil changes?

:justkidding:
With regular maintenance, you'll get bored and buy a new one way before you wear this one out. Now get some oil, a 17mm socket or wrench, an oil filter and filter wrench and change that oil.....:thumbup: