Brake Fluids

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
I've looked through the forum, and I know that it's very advised to change your brake fluids, because of the great difference it makes, etc. I bought my 06' at 11,000 miles, 4 years ago, and the brake fluid was a yellow/amber color. Now the bike has 27,000 miles on it, and the brake fluid is still the exact same color, I've never changed it, and my brakes are incredibly responsive, when I use them, which I usually don't. I usually go with the "if it's not broke don't fix it" approach, is this stupid?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
new DOT 4 brake fluid is fairly clear and after 4 years or maybe more i bet you would still see a big improvement but thats up to you if you want too. its really easy to do so i personally dont see why not, but i also understand the whole aint broke dont fix it thing, but like i said i still bet you would see a improvment

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the same but it was way off, my fluid was amber light amber but I replaced it and it's almost clear you should replace it every year I think according to the manual, I live by the don't fix it if it ain't broken rule but that's usually because if I try something I break it the first go around lol

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably no difference initially, but you may experience brake fade if you use them a lot, as water will have got in the fluid and lowered the boiling point

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't hurt to bleed them once or twice a year, depending how much mileage you do. Unless you hit the track or drive like Rossi... don't take a second mortgage on your house to buy brake fluid. Dot4 is Dot4. The only difference between what you get at Pep Boy and top of the line brake fluid is the boiling point.

Brake fluid is moisture magnet! Buy a small can and throw it away if it's more than a year old. I've been using Valvoline DOT4 for the last 2 years (33K miles) and never had issues. Then again, I don't abuse the brakes...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't hurt to bleed them once or twice a year, depending how much mileage you do. Unless you hit the track or drive like Rossi... don't take a second mortgage on your house to buy brake fluid. Dot4 is Dot4. The only difference between what you get at Pep Boy and top of the line brake fluid is the boiling point.

Brake fluid is moisture magnet! Buy a small can and throw it away if it's more than a year old. I've been using Valvoline DOT4 for the last 2 years (33K miles) and never had issues. Then again, I don't abuse the brakes...

same thing i use, first time i changed it i nearly did a stopie my first time out it was that big of a difference! of course i did it at like 20K and i imagine it was the stock fluid (maybe 8yrs old?)

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^lol, I just had both of tires replaced and the mechanic suggested including the brake fluid and pads. The fluid definitely wasn't clear anymore and more towards the amber color. What a difference in the feel of the brakes after the new tires, pads and fluid. 22K miles for the brake fluid on the stock "07, never again.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I've looked through the forum, and I know that it's very advised to change your brake fluids, because of the great difference it makes, etc. I bought my 06' at 11,000 miles, 4 years ago, and the brake fluid was a yellow/amber color. Now the bike has 27,000 miles on it, and the brake fluid is still the exact same color, I've never changed it, and my brakes are incredibly responsive, when I use them, which I usually don't. I usually go with the "if it's not broke don't fix it" approach, is this stupid?

This is one where it is far better to change the fluid. As has been said, brake fluid absorbs water out of the air. It does this in your lines, as well as in an unsealed container of fluid.

That water settles to the lowest point in the brake system. That is almost certainly the lowest point in your brake caliper piston bores. Water in contact with aluminum will lead to corrosion. A small pit in the surface of the bore of your caliper will lead to brake failure. It is simply a matter of time...... better to remove the moisture by removing the old fluid on a regular basis.

If you haven't done the brake fluid, it's almost a certainty you haven't done the fork oil, either. Both are easy jobs and the results are quite noticeable.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
same thing i use, first time i changed it i nearly did a stopie my first time out it was that big of a difference! of course i did it at like 20K and i imagine it was the stock fluid (maybe 8yrs old?)

Do you still have the stock pads? I change mine for EBC double serinted (something like that...lol) and the change is awesome. Nice initial bite!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you still have the stock pads? I change mine for EBC double serinted (something like that...lol) and the change is awesome. Nice initial bite!

Na I changed pads all around when I did the fluid, I went either ferdodo-sp? Some Italian pad that my local shop had in stock

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
both pretty easy, you just need a way to get the front off the ground for the fork oil, and ensure you put the right amount in. brakes fluid is even easier, just make sure it'd bled properly and tie the handle back overnight.

not got a write-up of it sorry

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I flushed my brake system after 2 years. My bike spends most of the day parked outside at work. While most brake systems are weather proof, some moisture will make its way into the fluid. Since brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs and holds water, changing it on a regular basis is a good idea. This applies to cars too! While the brake system parts can deal with some moisture, the steel parts can eventually rust and damage seals.

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning to fully replace my front & rear brake fluids. The thing is that I happen to have DOT 5.1 on the shelf and am considering using it. DOT 4 is specified for the bike but since DOT 5.1 is chemically compatible and the main difference is a higher boiling point I believe it's OK.
I'd appreciate advice and the experiences of others for this particular scenario. Thanks.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning to fully replace my front & rear brake fluids. The thing is that I happen to have DOT 5.1 on the shelf and am considering using it. DOT 4 is specified for the bike but since DOT 5.1 is chemically compatible and the main difference is a higher boiling point I believe it's OK.
I'd appreciate advice and the experiences of others for this particular scenario. Thanks.

In theory, yes, you would be fine using 5.1, or at least I was told as much by a very experienced mechanic. If you decide to go that route, I'd make sure to flush it through several times though.

Also, if you've had a bottle sitting on a shelf for a while after it's been opened, you really shouldn't use it. A new bottle of DOT 4 is super cheap; just pick up a new one.