Boneman's Bi-Xenon HID projector mod - In Progress

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want that SOOOO bad.

I agree about the black paint. It really makes the "eyes" pop.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Those HID projectors look amazing against the black background. One question though. Do the projectors use the same alignment as the OEM incandescent reflector?

Is it possible to "aim" the projectors for proper lighting?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Those HID projectors look amazing against the black background. One question though. Do the projectors use the same alignment as the OEM incandescent reflector?

Is it possible to "aim" the projectors for proper lighting?

Yup. As I mentioned in my 1st post,
The nice thing about this retro fit HID kit, is that you can use the exisiting headlight aiming adjustments for moving and aiming the new projectors since they are mounted into the adjustable reflectors!

These projectors simply fit into the H4 & H7 'holes' in the backs of the reflectors. So when you adjust the aiming of the reflector, it moves the entire projector unit. An added bonus for using this style of projector.

I'm sure there will be another few hours of fiddling and aiming them once I get them working.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
so what's the life expectancy on these? to chance them are you going to have to bake your housing again to open it and get to the projectors?

Should never have to replace the actual projector housings. The bulbs inside can be changed and pulled out the back of the projector just like changing a halogen bulb. Not sure on the life expectancy of these bulbs. I hope they last a while.

If for some reason I had to change the projector itself (not sure why), yeah I would just repeat the process and remove the entire headlight unit and stick it back in the oven to re-open it.

The ballasts are removable so I can replace them fairly easily if they ever kick the bucket (plug & play).

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Re: UPDATE - Almost done!

any chance on pics with it all lit up??? pleeeeeeeease?

Ok, thought I was almost finished, turns out I'm not.

Finished wiring everything up last night, fired it up and it seems the H4 side Angel Eye fliament does not want to fully light up! :( It starts to glow, but won't fully light. Kind of like a flouressent tube that struggles to light up. Kinda pissed.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

DSCF4886.JPG

I've checked the voltage and the angel eye wiring and it all seems fine. the other unit is wired up the same and measures the same voltage and it's working fine.

I am going to be contacting the eBay seller (not Gozilla, but the guy who sold him the units) and see if I can either get a replacement Angel Eye element or a replacement H4 projector housing. Of course that means taking everything apart again, re-opening the lenses and swaping out the projector unit. Not as bad as one might think as everything is wired and implace so it would involve just disconnecting a few wires (I use quick disconnects on most of my connections) and everything removes in place with the whole front end. So maybe 1.5 hours to remove, swap projectors and put back on. Not too bad really.

Other option (the easy one) is to just disconnect the Angel Eyes.

The other issue I had is it seems I might need to rework my headlight wiring as it would appear that the left H7 side projector is on HIGH all the time. When I switch on the High Beams, only the right H4 side does anything. When I look at the lights from head on (damn it's bright!) the left appears to be brighter on Low Beam. I think I've tracked down the issue and should be a straight forward fix.

Busy for the next few nights so prob wont get back into this until the weekend...

Last edited:

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey boneman.. i think you should leave ur lights as is... It kinda looks like they're winking at me.. lol....good progress though.. i hope that ebay seller can replace them.. i once purchased a set of projo bulbs for my jeep off of ebay.. one of them didnt work. but they were nice enough to replace it with brand new wiring new bulb new housing and mounting.. i was like damn... it was just one thing that was wrong they resent like an entire package..

PEACE to the MIDDLE EAST..

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Update

Ok, some good and bad news (not that bad).

First off, I got the wiring figured out for Low-Low and High-High!!:D Basically doing what 'Gozilla' said about creating a 2nd headlight harness off the right side H4 harness. Here is a picture to illustrate what I did. Thanks to 'ant_mb' as well for his info and pics he sent me. If anyone see's a problems with this, please let me know! Instead of splicing and creating a whole new wiring harness, I just rewired the exisitng left side headlight connector to basically be a duplicate of the right with the added and shared 3rd (top) wire used from the dual headlight mod. Not 100% sure how or even why this works, but it does so I'm going with it!!

HID%20Headlight%20Wiring.jpg

This was the original diagram/instructions that Gozilla made. I essentually did this.

3491312037_dcf8f099a3.jpg

The bad news is on the Angel Eye front. I double checked the wiring and voltage and it apears that the filiment is shot. The eBay seller got back to me and the filiment cannot be replaced on it's own and they do not/will not sell me just one H4 projector. :( They did offer me a discount on buying a new H4 set so I am waiting to hear back on just how much they will be.

So for now I think I will get everything back together and buttoned up so I can at least ride. I will probably just unplug the angel eyes for now.

I will be taking some pics and video this weekend so stay tuned.

Last edited:

Jorsher

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to install the same set of angel eyes projectors from the following ebay seller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROJECTOR-LEN...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:2|294:50

The seller only sells pairs of H4 and H7 projectors, not one H4 and H7 separately. The Fazer requires one H4 and one H7. Therefore in order to get the correct fittings I would need to buy a pair of H4 and H7 projectors (4 in total). This would leave me with 2 spares.

Would anybody be interested in buying these spare projectors from me if I were to buy them?

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Same HID kit that Gozilla used (click on the link in 1st post). It was a "custom" kit in that the kits only come as either H4s or H7, not a mix of both. Gozilla bought both kits and used one projector from each kit and sold the 2 spares he had left.

Ballasts are just regular ballasts I found on eBay as they were not included with the kits.

Ok, here it comes...:tard:...

- What are ballasts?
- Why are they needed?
- How much do they costs?

Thanks.

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here it comes...:tard:...

- What are ballasts?
- Why are they needed?
- How much do they costs?

Thanks.
I'm no expert but
I suppose you could say they are similar to the starter in a flourescent light.
They are needed to provide the initial spike of electricity and regulate the electric flow into the hid bulb.
As for costs it varies but you could get one from $20 i think. They sell kits on ebay and most guys would go for the slim ones.

Hows the bike feeling after the k+n?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Here are some "Finsihed" daytime pictures. I am working on some night time pics and video later tonight.

DSCF4889.JPG

DSCF4890.JPG

DSCF4891.JPG

YouTube Video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlJiMuYGqhg]YouTube - Boneman's Bi-Xenon HID Projector Conversion - 04 FZ6[/ame]

Late evening pictures:

DSCF4893.JPG

DSCF4899.JPG

Low Beams
DSCF4897.JPG

High Beams
DSCF4896.JPG

New HID Mod page added to my site here: Boneman's FZ6 Site - Bi-Xenon HID Projectors

Last edited:

Oliver

Reaction score
Visit site
Great thread! So now that you're done, how much brighter would you say these are compared to the stock lights?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Great thread! So now that you're done, how much brighter would you say these are compared to the stock lights?

Much, much brighter! I think it's also the "colour" of the light that makes a huge difference if that makes any sense. I'ts pure white. The difference is VERY noticable. I Haven't gone for a night ride yet; only done the laneway testing. I think I still might have to play with adjusting them a little more.