Bolts holding Cowling to frame

ecca

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed my bike making a noise as I go over bumps or potholes - like plastic bumping up for a second and dropping back down to it's original position.

I find out, after some investigating, that the place where the cowling is held to the frame of the bike? Inside like, the steering 'column' ..between the two front forks, right under the instrument panels -- the front cowling is connected or "held" down to the frame by two bolts ...the bottom bolt is missing.

So, the bottom bolt must have rattled it's way out, cap came off when I dropped the bike some time, or whatever ..now the cowling can be lifted up like 2 inches if I try to.. by pulling up on some part of it like the two mirrors or the windshield - and it's really annoying me, because it's bumping like it's falling apart(it's not though) every time I go over a bump in the road because it has range of movement now due to missing to one bolt.. the bottom one. Ugh.

My question is, does anyone know what bolts I'm talking about? Can I replace this one with one that I could buy at like, Autozone or something?

What size would that bolt be(I'm in the US, so unfortunately we don't use the metric system), and what should I do here? Will I actually need to go in and order the specific part from Yamaha along with a new 'cap' for it - or can I get a random replacement that fits at a generic hardware store here?

PS - also, I need a replacement tire valve cap, because I left mine behind after filling the rear up with air at the gas station. Yes I am slightly braindead - bad week. I go and look to buy new ones, and see nothing that comes close to looking like the ones that come stock with the FZ6, and I'm not even seeing any that are rated for motorcycles, what gives? Should I just use anything? Is the air pressure going to drop gradually without the normal cap?

Last edited:

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
any tyre cap will fit on the bike as far as i know its a universal thread that fits all cars/bikes , you can pick them and the bolts needed very cheaply on ebay

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
any Yamaha dealership could grab them for you too. I'd suggest installing it with Blue Loctite The last thing you need to run over is your own faring! :(

However, in a pinch a local hardware store could save you if its your only transportation.
PLEASE - REPLACE BOTH BOLTS as this one may be worn from being loose. Keep the used one for a SPARE!

90119-08081-00 BOLT, WITH WASHER

Here's some fiche to eat. . . .
Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2008>FZ6>COWLING 1

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced both my valves with right angled valves so that I could actually use the pump at the garage but yes the caps are the same as on a car.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
any Yamaha dealership could grab them for you too. I'd suggest installing it with Blue Loctite The last thing you need to run over is your own faring! :(

However, in a pinch a local hardware store could save you if its your only transportation.
PLEASE - REPLACE BOTH BOLTS as this one may be worn from being loose. Keep the used one for a SPARE!

90119-08081-00 BOLT, WITH WASHER

Here's some fiche to eat. . . .
Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2008>FZ6>COWLING 1

+1 on the above.

I just looked at my 07 and it has "acorn style nuts" on the two bolts.

A definite, use a little red locktite when re-assembling. There will be some play, even with both bolts in (not tightened yet), try to center (up and down) before fully torquing down...

A regular automotive air cap (available at an auto store/Walmart, etc) will work fine for your valve. It doesn't keep air in, it keeps crap out.. I, on occassion, will find them on the ground laying outside on the ground outside the Walmart auto area.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At a bare min, if the bolt from the Top is missing, move the bottom BOLT to the TOP. If the bottom is missing get the right bolt OR as temporary measure use a hardware store bolt.

Unless you want your fairing all cracked where it mounts to the sides - ride as little as possible until fixed.

PS - the Acorn nut is kindly welded to the bracket so all you need is the bolt.