• Swap to Tuono R

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
So a year and a little bit ago I replaced the FZ6 with a 2005 K1200S - it's a great bike overall but biased toward longer, higher speed trips. As such it's a little bit of overkill for commuting and local day trips - heavy, somewhat jerky around town as it's between gears and hot in the summer in stop and go (big motor and a full fairing and that's what you end up with). It totally makes up for all those annoyances when you get on the open road for a long trip - go however fast you want no problem, seat is comfortable all day, smooth endless power, electrical system will run whatever you can think of. I should be happy right?

Enter "problem" - we're expecting kid #2 in May and I'm expecting that in the short term my long rides are going to disappear while we adjust to the new situation at home and my riding will become mostly commuting and local day trips with few longer rides. This has me thinking the right bike might invert the K1200S' style - so that it's great around town and tolerable on a long trip. Unfortunately in the power department it would feel like a bike step down to lose much (you get use to what you have) so I started looking at liter nakeds. I already know i don't really love the FZ1 (feels too wide through the legs for me) and the one bike I keep coming back to is the Aprilia Tuono R. I haven't ridden one but did sit on it - feels like it was made for me, like the specs, reviews, and the pricing for a 2007 is such that I should be able to trade the K1200S in straight-up.
What's other folks thoughts on making the switch - would you keep the K1200s or swap to a Tuono R?

Last edited:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
For reference
The K1200S looks like this:
2005-bmw-k12s-d-04-3.jpg

and the Tuono R
VP1670255_2.jpg

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
TUONO!!! I have a friend with a 02 Tuono. What a blast to ride, feels like your on a pencil compaired to my FZ1, power is close to the 1. Handles great.
Throw on some nice pipes, they sound sooooo sweet. You'd love it!!!!!!

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Tuono is a great bike, it's not Japanese reliable but has tons of character and you don't see one over every corner.

AF1 is perhaps the best motorcycle shop I've been to. Nothing fancy for the showroom, but for technical knowledge, parts and maintenance very, very few shops are close to them. People from all over the world will ship their Apes to them for tuning or for motor rebuild/modifications. They've also done Ape work that no one else has done; how about a RSVR, blown, running on methonal? They've dyno tuned my last four bikes; FZ6, 1125R, FZ1 and R6, each time the tune was perfect, the first time.

The forum is perhaps the most knowledgeable one I've been on. Did you receive their offical welcome yet???

Remember that Aprilia is a small company (granted the parent company, Piaggio is massive) with a small foot hold in the US. Find a good local dealer and supplement with AF1 and you'll really have fun with that bike.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well with my vote for the Aprilia that almost puts it at 90% No doubt the BMW is an awesome bike, but there is something just sexy about this bike, and yes it wont be around every corner.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to keep it in the Fatherland, how about the bmw f800r?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veyK0_KQ4Sw]YouTube - Cycle Canada Reviews the new BMW F800R[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwyySbqaJuM]YouTube - Video: BMW F800R video test[/ame]

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to keep it in the Fatherland, how about the bmw f800r?

I'm sure the F800r is a nice bike (the 800GS/S/ST are all nice) but they really don't have the get up and go that I'm now used to (the K1200S has ~80hp more than the 800s - it does weigh more but not that much more). It's amazing how fast you acclimate to a high power bike and then everything else feels slow even when they're really not.

As for the fatherland aspect - unlike some other BMW owners I don't bleed BMW blood - I just want a bike I like and could care less about whoever makes it.

Last edited:

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I am in the same situation... I changed my FZ6 for A K1200R over a year ago. While I went naked, it is basically the same bike. What I can recommend is to try any other liter bike (I tryied a Fz1 and a z1000)... and ask yourself if you can relinquish your BMW 1200cc and its torque... do the exercise and you'll answer your own question :D