Blinkers stopped working and running light keeps going out

Ryan_mac7

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. I just bought a 2008 FZ6 after loving my buddies 07 that he has had for a while. The only problem is after I got it home The running light was not working any longer so I found the problem to be a simple burnt fuse and changed it accordingly. But after about 6 hours of riding my blinkers and running (tail) light stopped working. The tail fuse was burnt again and after changing it the blinkers will not work at all. What could be causing this?? The bike only has 1,400 miles and is bone stock.

PLEASE HELP!!!

WatchThisPlay

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. I just bought a 2008 FZ6 after loving my buddies 07 that he has had for a while. The only problem is after I got it home The running light was not working any longer so I found the problem to be a simple burnt fuse and changed it accordingly. But after about 6 hours of riding my blinkers and running (tail) light stopped working. The tail fuse was burnt again and after changing it the blinkers will not work at all. What could be causing this?? The bike only has 1,400 miles and is bone stock.

PLEASE HELP!!!
I'm having this exact issue right now. Changed the fuse everything worked and it stopped working again today. :confused:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use one?

One way or another you've got an overload on the circuit, most likely a short. I've seen short circuits caused by defective bulbs, where the broken filament bridges the + and - just right to lower resistance enough... but it's rare and I've only seen it with burnt out bulbs.

Option B, there's a short in the wiring somewhere. So... when you say "running light", singular... does this imply that the front signals aren't stock, since they should be on with the ignition on as well? If so, I'd start there, I've seen plenty of janky crap wiring cause issues... if you see a wad of electrical tape on a wire, don't assume all is right within.

Other thought is high resistance in a switch in one of the control pods, or the ignition switch, but I'd rule out the simple stuff first. Although it could make sense with the low miles... lots of sitting is going to be worse for those than lots of use.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fuses don't wear out so when one blows it's due to higher current than the circuit was designed for. If there is no device added to the circuit to create a higher load then there is the probability that there is a short. Could be a bad tail lamp or a pinched or shorted wire. If there has been wiring/ lights changed from stock a good place to start would be where the wiring was modified.

Your running lights and directional signal are on the same fuse. Your brake light is on a different fuse but remember the tail light has a running light and the brake light. If your brake light fuse is blown you will also have no horn. So if the horn is working then you know your brake light fuse is good. Happy hunting! :)