Birds.......

flhtifz

Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta ask,,,,,how many of you guys have ever HIT or been HIT by a bird when riding your bike? I've been riding for a LONG time and have never came close, up until about 2 weeks ago. I have missed a bird 3 times on my bike, and actually got hit by one today while in the cage.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Have crossed paths with a few pigeons,- every time I'm sure that the bird is worse off than me ...,- newer had the time/desire to turn around to check if it was OK, - after all,- it's just flying rats ...

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Last week a hawk/eagle flew two feet above my helmet on a mountain road. It was badass.

Other than that, I almost hit a suicidal bird at 100mph. It flew right infront of me, noone or nothing else on the road.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran over a chicken once on the bike. Does that count?

It flew across in front of me then swerved back and under the front wheel where it went bump bump.

It won't be doing it again!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I ran over a chicken once on the bike. Does that count?

It flew across in front of me then swerved back and under the front wheel where it went bump bump.

It won't be doing it again!

That should once and for all kill the "Why did the chicken cross the road" jokes, - now we all know it did it be course it did NOT see the Fizz!

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Pheasant came out of a bush and hit my left arm. Was still a learner back then but managed to keep control (going about 40mph). My arm really stung for a bit after that.

Sunday had a kestrel cross straight in front of me at helmet height, luckily closing the throttle was enough to allow him to get safely clear.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Last week a hawk/eagle flew two feet above my helmet on a mountain road. It was badass.

I had this exact same experience about 3 weeks ago with a red-tailed hawk. I'm just riding along and notice this hawk at about 10 o'clock and about 30 feet off the ground. Wow, I thought, that sucker is getting low fast! Next thing I know, he's coming right at my head and veers at the last second, just as he crosses my path. It was enough to make me flinch (and laugh to myself after it was over). I still have no idea if he was setting up for a swoop-in kill on something that was behind me on the side of the road and I just got in the way or if he was actually coming for me and aborted at the last second. It was quite a rush, though! Glad I'm not a rabbit!!! :D

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I clipped a currawong going thru turn 1 at Eastern Creek doing about 200 kph. I saw it coming but already had my chin on the tank, still tried to duck outta the way. It thumped into the top of my helmet & I clanged my chin piece on the tank. Next lap around there was no bird but a few feathers :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am being stalked by a bird...i kid you not! Everytime i ride down a particular road south of Adelaide, in exactly the same spot everytime, a bird...i think it's an Eagle....flys out of some pine tree's and straight at my helmet....has happened three times in a row....got one of them on video, and Ozzieboy has witnessed one of the other occurences...Guess this bird doesnt like Black FZ6's with loud Two Brothers pipes!

:eek:

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hit one riding in Wyoming a few years back with the Venture. It flew in from the side so I never got a good look to see what it was and didn't feel like going back to see.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I am being stalked by a bird...i kid you not! Everytime i ride down a particular road south of Adelaide, in exactly the same spot everytime, a bird...i think it's an Eagle....flys out of some pine tree's and straight at my helmet....has happened three times in a row....got one of them on video, and Ozzieboy has witnessed one of the other occurences...Guess this bird doesnt like Black FZ6's with loud Two Brothers pipes!

Or the bird likes or dislikes something on your helmet? Do you have any mirrored surfaces on your helmet, vents or something?
Certainly not a good feeling & to have it happen repeatedly. Im sure you are thinking of that winged assasin 5 Ks before you arrive at the spot you mentioned.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Or the bird likes or dislikes something on your helmet? Do you have any mirrored surfaces on your helmet, vents or something?
Certainly not a good feeling & to have it happen repeatedly. Im sure you are thinking of that winged assasin 5 Ks before you arrive at the spot you mentioned.

I have a plain black Carbon fibre helmet, with an Iridium visor...maybe it is the reflection off of that.........and, sure i am thinking of this bird each time i ride this road...just cant believe it keeps happening!

Weird thing is, it has to nfly well over 100 metres to get me...and it's a damn good shot! everytime i have had to take evasive action to avoid being pinged!