Bike won't start

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
For sometime now I have been having a tough time starting my bike. If I push the starter button, the engine cranks but will not start. The fuel pump primes normally upon turning the ignition key on and no fault code is displayed.

I initially suspect the fuel pump, injectors and spark plugs. I took the pump out and tested it and it proved okay. I examined the pump housing and there was nothing to show it was clogged.
I changed the spark plugs and also cleaned the injectors and fuel line thoroughly. The still cranks but won't start.
One thing that preceded this was ticking noise. The bike did make ticking any time it was started. This noise lasted a few days after which the won't start. Please, I need help.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you tried cranking with the throttle wide open? What is the condition of the battery after all of this cranking? A weak battery will not start the bike - even though it's cranking over. A shot of starting fluid into the throttle bodies will tell you if your problem is fuel related or not.

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
Year bike, immobilizer, mileage?
2005! I have disconnected the dashboardI
Have you tried cranking with the throttle wide open? What is the condition of the battery after all of this cranking? A weak battery will not start the bike - even though it's cranking over. A shot of starting fluid into the throttle bodies will tell you if your problem is fuel related or not.

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
I did that and I guess the result was what made me suspect it could be the injectors, fuel pump or fuel line. But all of these proved okay. I will do that again and get back to you.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted, spritz some fuel or starting fluid down the TBs and see if she kicks.

If not, pull a spark plug lead, spark plug and check for spark.

You can check for compression if you can access it but my $'s on a fueling issue.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you know there are no error codes without the instrument cluster?

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious, why is the instrument cluster disconnected? Is there another/earlier problem with the bike that could be contributing to the non-starting issue?
Currently, it is connected and there are no error codes. I like the bike extremely naked hence the disconnection. The dashboard is among a number of non essential stuff I have taken off the bike.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there are a few steps you can take prior to buying parts. If you hear the pump priming, it is likely making (or trying to make) the correct pressure. There is a filter in the fuel pump assembly. I suggest removing the pump assembly and checking the filter. It is not uncommon for this filter to clog and cause the bike not to start.

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
I think there are a few steps you can take prior to buying parts. If you hear the pump priming, it is likely making (or trying to make) the correct pressure. There is a filter in the fuel pump assembly. I suggest removing the pump assembly and checking the filter. It is not uncommon for this filter to clog and cause the bike not to start.
I have inspected the filter and it is fine. Meanwhile, I bought a new pump and fixed it and still the won't start.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the injectors with the fuel rail and turn on key. Fuel should spray out (obviously a major FIRE HAZARD) if it does work/spray. Do so safely...

If it does, you'll need to check fuel pressure while assembled.

We're trying to determine if the rail/injectors are clean, it's possible the injectors are NOT opening-IE electrical issue..