Bike won't start

Eddy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and actually glad I found an FZ6 forum that seems pretty active :D

Hopefully someone reads this because I'm dumping a lot of info out here.

Here's my situation, bought an '09 FZ6 S2 in May 2014 and have been commuting on it 36 miles a day ever since, with this cold weather in the UK it has always struggled to start on a monday morning after sitting over the weekend doing nothing however it ran fine during the week so I just used to pop it on charge Sunday afternoon and all would be fine.

So after I washed it on Sunday(possibly got a tiny bit of water down one of the exhausts when washing around that area) I fired it up after giving it a little boost from a spare battery I have lying around, just because i'm always concious of it not working the following morning, all was fine and I turned off the engine.

Monday morning I went to fire it up, didn't want to start so tried giving it a boost, still no go, I then realised the battery I was trying to boost from was also starting to get a bit low, it was about time I bought a new battery anyway so I ordered a new battery which I fitted today(Tuesday).

Last night(Monday) I went into the diagnostic mode, not 100% sure how it actually works but somewhat figured it out and went through all the tests, everything seemed fine until I got to number 60 which is the error history? It showed number 12, and foolishy I went onto the next few, 61 and 62 and flicked the kill switch to then read that clears the history :( So I ran through the diagnostic stuff again but couldn't get it to bring up error 12 again which I read is the crank position sensor, I read it could partially to be do with a dud battery.

So...today(Tuesday) I hooked up my new battery, tried to start it up, and I have the same issue, it's spinning super fast now with the new battery on which is a good sign, but still no go, it almost went when I twisted the throttle up.

I'm lost on what to do, got some new spark plugs arriving tomorrow as they are also due to be replaced but I can't imagine that will fix my issue as the issue has just 'appeared' overnight.

TL;DR I washed my bike, it started after washing, following day wouldn't
start, put a new battery in, still won't start

Really appreciate anyone who has read this whole thread, any ideas?

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My first guess, as you've described, is you've been using a weak battery. The moment the starter engages the voltage of the battery is low enough to cause a problem. If there was weak spark because the plugs are poor the cylinders may be wet with fuel.

I would proceed in your plan to replace the plugs. Make sure you gap the plugs to the FZ6 factory specification and not as they come from the plug manufacturer. The plug maker uses a general gap spec. that will work but will not be set for the design of your engine.

Error codes can be seen from the ECM when there are very low voltages and the code may not be from an actual failure related to the code.

Good luck and keep us in the loop! :)

Eddy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I installed the plugs, even following the guide someone put on here, it frustrated me with the small work area, I then remember reading to prime the engine in these situations by holding the throttle whilst turning on and low and behold I held the button for a few seconds with some splutter, then she fired up!

Never been so relieved to hear that engine running again, so it seems it was a combo of dead battery + plugs that had at least 6500 miles on them, they were iridium and I replaced with standard, the bike is now stalling the odd time after a blip up to 6000 or so when you drop the throttle off, seems to be idling at like 900rpm, was over 1k before, will this be due to the different plugs?

Going to test run it tomorrow night providing the weather isn't too bad :D

Thank you so much for your reply, I feel it gave me the luck needed to make it work.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The early FJR's were prone to loading up (flooding) and as well as some FZ's. Often, it was from turning the engine off while still in the "cold mode"(cold/fast idle)

Your research into holding the throttle wide open and cranking is correct..

Re the current stalling, the idle should be set (normal operating temp) to about 1250-1,300RPM's. Re-adjust the idle (star shaped screw accessable on the left side between the fuel tank and frame).

I do have my idle set at 1,000(a little less vibration @ idle and more engine braking) HOWEVER, at 1,000 RPM's your DRAINING YOUR BATTERY.

Between 1,200 and 1,300RPM's, your just above break even "voltage wise"..

Please post how it runs after raising the idle some.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plugs can change it. Screw the speed adjust screw in to get 1300 or so. Higher if you wait in traffic a lot.

Although plenty are happy at lower ###'s.
If you ride in town, idle a lot, have dual headlights, it can deplete a battery over time. In short, if ride time has RPM below 2500 or so for 25% of the time, your battery is getting depleted and the battery may need charged; confirm this by doing voltage checks. It could be required weekly, every other day or daily.

Post up some detail and we'll go from there. <<- As in Battery voltage after sitting off for 4 hours.

Last edited:

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Not an advertiser or affiliate to any battery maker, I previously changed my battery from lead acid to Lithium/lipo from Shorai! And my 1 year old lead acid battery went to my 4500Kw generator LOL!

Since then, I'm happy and rolling, rolling...took off 6lbs from the bike since the Shorai battery is only 2.3lbs! And this battery is the beast!

Eddy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I didn't go out as we've had an inch or snow here today, but I took the cover off, shook all the snow off, put the key in, said some prayers, and it started quicker than its ever started since owning the bike, even when the temperature is 0C outside, adjusted my idle and it seems to be sitting nicely around 1000-1100 roughly.

I shall update on my ride to work tomorrow, see it it feels like its performing any better :D

In the mean time I've been browsing loads of threads on here and I'm definitely here to stay, some quality content and awesome people on here.
[MENTION=26335]2007Z6ALL-LED[/MENTION] I put a Yuasa in, from past experience and review they seem to be good enough quality.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There were some issues in the cold weather with cold start ups with the early lithium batteries.

Not enough cranking "umph", unless you turned on your lights, put some load on the battery first, THEN tried to start it. I don't know if they sorted that out..

It doesn't get that cold down here but, IMO, I prefer the proven, OEM Yuasa. I have a brand new one waiting to go in when this one bites the dust..

As stated earlier, IF you do a lot of slow speed operating, have a dual headlight mod, electric clothes, etc, I would bump that idle up some more...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There were some issues in the cold weather with cold start ups with the early lithium batteries.

Not enough cranking "umph", unless you turned on your lights, put some load on the battery first, THEN tried to start it. I don't know if they sorted that out..

It doesn't get that cold down here but, IMO, I prefer the proven, OEM Yuasa. I have a brand new one waiting to go in when this one bites the dust..

As stated earlier, IF you do a lot of slow speed operating, have a dual headlight mod, electric clothes, etc, I would bump that idle up some more...

//DE-rail Speaking of biting the dust...

From 2013 I didn't think the 08 Yuasa would survive another winter (2014/2015) but I've actually been riding a couple times in Nov, Dec, and Jan when the bike has historically sat waiting patiently for "the" rider. Since the Winter of 2011 the battery has maintained 12.99V dc while sitting for 3 - 4 mo w/out aid of charging.
Its health is now slipping and its hanging at 12.84V after the bike has been off for 4 hours. Even in the 50°F temps, she doesn't crank with enthusiasm, but fires right off. Cranking voltage dips under 9.5V and it you can really tell its lost its cold cranking capacity.

I think its had a good run and should be replaced sooner than later.
As in before some kind of collateral damage occurs!

Eddy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well my dad wants me to catch the train again tomorrow haha, he doesn't want me to risk it for the sake of one more day.

As for battery charge, I ride 18 miles, 13 or so of which are in top gear doing the national speed limit :rolleyes: at around 6000rpm if I recall correctly, got no gadgets, I left them unplugged when putting in the new battery in to ensure there were no issues, it was only a gear indicator and 12v socket, gear indicator stopped working a while ago anyway :/

[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] Might borrow your idea and grab myself another battery around autumn just in case, I have to ride all year round, come snow, rain or whatever else.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I didn't go out as we've had an inch or snow here today, but I took the cover off, shook all the snow off, put the key in, said some prayers, and it started quicker than its ever started since owning the bike, even when the temperature is 0C outside, adjusted my idle and it seems to be sitting nicely around 1000-1100 roughly.

I shall update on my ride to work tomorrow, see it it feels like its performing any better :D

In the mean time I've been browsing loads of threads on here and I'm definitely here to stay, some quality content and awesome people on here.
[MENTION=26335]2007Z6ALL-LED[/MENTION] I put a Yuasa in, from past experience and review they seem to be good enough quality.

Agreed, Yuasa is the best in as I remember 30 years ago I rode the Yamaha 125cc 2stroke :).

That Yuasa lead acid was only 1 year old when I changed mine to Lithium battery Shorai. The reason I changed it, well, because sort of that, I already bought it before the Yuasa delivered and the weight (beside I live in California, golden state LOL), long short story!

It can't go wrong with Yuasa, they are simply the best!

Eddy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well a short update for anyone wondering whatever happened, all good still, first real test was yesterday starting up at -2C in the morning with no issues at all, also started perfect on the ride home from work, this morning similar weather + light snow and still no issues so I think I can safely say everything is working as expected.

Although I lost a fuel tank bolt/washer from forgetting to put them back in properly and one seemed to have vibrated out :rolleyes:, good job my dad has a workshop full of random bolts and washers so I should be able to find a match :D