Bike wont start?

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Just went out to move the bike and it fired right up. Put it in gear with the kickstand down and the bike shut off. Raised the kickstand and went to fire it back up. Then the speedo went haywire. Now when I turn on the ignition the red check engine light comes on and I see the # 12 where mileage usually reads. Push the start button and I hear a single click in the iginition switch and the bike doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Fault code No. 12 Symptom No normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor.

May be a bad connection at the sensor or at the ECU if you're lucky.

Follow the checks in the service manual if you can, but I don't think it's the battery

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at the fault code more carefully it's a ER-1 fault. It's really strange just a second before this happend it had just fired right up and was running fine. Hope it's just some loose wire somewhere probaly not. I'll also have to give the battery a charge as well.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A dead battery comes to mind.

+1. Probably a dead short in the battery. You can get it load tested at any auto parts store. How old is the battery?

I believe the bike is designed to stall if the kick stand is down when you stick it gear. A shorted battery will cause all kinds of problems. It needs a minimum amount of voltage to run. You can jump start it from a car battery as long as the car is NOT RUNNING.

Last edited:

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Put the battery on my batter tender and it was already pretty muched fully charged. After about a hour I noticed it was fully charged and in the storage mode.

Pulled the starter relay and cleaned it out. Cleaned up the start stop switch and the start switch no luck. The ECU was tight. Looks like it's time to take it to a pro. Hopefully it's not going to set me back a fortune.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Put the battery on my batter tender and it was already pretty muched fully charged. After about a hour I noticed it was fully charged and in the storage mode.

Pulled the starter relay and cleaned it out. Cleaned up the start stop switch and the start switch no luck. The ECU was tight. Looks like it's time to take it to a pro. Hopefully it's not going to set me back a fortune.

the ecu needs a specific amount of voltage to run. Don't trust the battery by just putting it on the tender and thinking its ok. If you have a multimeter check the voltage with key off, then with key on then while trying to crank.

My guess is voltage is dropping huge when the pump is running then, dies right off when you try to crank. rule that out (load test) before you think its not the battery.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the ecu needs a specific amount of voltage to run. Don't trust the battery by just putting it on the tender and thinking its ok. If you have a multimeter check the voltage with key off, then with key on then while trying to crank.

My guess is voltage is dropping huge when the pump is running then, dies right off when you try to crank. rule that out (load test) before you think its not the battery.

Good call. You may have no depth of charge. That's what my first thought was when you posted this. Get the voltmeter out...Still could be a bad battery....

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes hearing the fuel pump. Another strange thing is if before putting in the key If I flip on the hazards. Then insert the key and flip it to the start position the clock on the speedo shuts off. It's acts like there is a total loss of power. No fuel pump sound nothing dead. When I turn the key to the off position the speedo displays all kinds of strange reads then the clock comes back on and it looks normal. If I turn off the hazards then turn the key to the on position the fuel pump spools up but still nothing.

I'll have to get a battery tester.

Thanks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes hearing the fuel pump. Another strange thing is if before putting in the key If I flip on the hazards. Then insert the key and flip it to the start position the clock on the speedo shuts off. It's acts like there is a total loss of power. No fuel pump sound nothing dead. When I turn the key to the off position the speedo displays all kinds of strange reads then the clock comes back on and it looks normal. If I turn off the hazards then turn the key to the on position the fuel pump spools up but still nothing.

I'll have to get a battery tester.

Thanks.

You really need to get it load tested......... If you want to put a voltage meter across the battery terminals, when turned on and when trying to crank, the voltage is going to drop dramatically causing your problems.

lupusobus

Insanity is Sanity
Reaction score
Visit site
ER-1, huh? I had the same problem awhile back. I called a local yamaha dealer for help, a friendly tech told me it is a dead battery and try to boost/charge it to see if it holds the charge. I hooked up the dead battery to my car and the bike started right up. I let battery charged for about ten minutes in the setup before taking the bike out for a test ride. I have no issues with the battery afterward. Hope this helps before you spend some money for professional help.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the battery the original from the factory?
It may be time to replace the battery if that is the case.
Your bike is an 06, so it was built in late 2005-2006 and the battery is about 4-5 years old. You can recharge the battery but the capacity will be low.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys I'll give the jumpers a try in the morning. I was wondering if I was possibly pulling to much current with the dual headlight mod and running grip heaters? Anyway the battery is getting pretty old by now so I hope that is all that it is.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks for all the replys I'll give the jumpers a try in the morning. I was wondering if I was possibly pulling to much current with the dual headlight mod and running grip heaters? Anyway the battery is getting pretty old by now so I hope that is all that it is.

Make sure your idle speed is above 1200 RPM.....

If you spend the majority of your riding time below about 3K RPM, I'd think you are discharging your battery with the dual headlights, and grip heaters.

The charging system should be able to supply enough current to 'break even' or better, if you spend most of your running time at 5K or higher.

tuul01

tuul01
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had exactly the same thing happen today, I gave the bike a quick wash to clear away any salt from the roads making sure to keep away from the speedo console, then thought I'd take it for a quick spin. Everything seemed ok until hitting the starter button, it just kept turning over without firing up... 'click click click click'.
Its on a charge at the moment in my lounge just to make sure if there is any moisture causing the problem, hopefully it'll dry but also if it is a battery issue, it'll charge as well.
I've never had this problem before and the bike has been under a cover (outdoors admittedly) for only a couple of weeks without use. Fingers crossed that it all starts working again soon otherwise I think I'm gonna have a really unhappy new year!! :(

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I attached some jumper cables to my truck then to my bike and it fired right up. Problem was a dead battery. Even though I had charged it up as soon as any load was put on the old battery it would just die. I'll be back on the road tomorrow thanks for all the tips.