Bike skipping over neutral when stationary.

Al3x2015

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 fz6 and I have put around 3000 miles on it since I have owned the bike. When I am at a stand still and try to shift up to neutral it’s a little stiff and once I shift it up and goes straight to second and same if I try second to neutral. The bike is shifting fine but could this be a clutch adjustment issue?

Al3x2015

Reaction score
Visit site
Could be a clutch adjustment, but it's also just as likely a chain adjustment. How's your free play on both the lever and the chain?
I haven’t checked the chain for free play but I noticed that when the engine is off it goes into neutral no problem. I haven’t checked for play in the clutch yet but I have adjustable clutch and brake levers and I increased the clutch lever up one number and the issue went away so I will check the clutch play tomorrow after and will post back here with the outcome.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides checking the adjustments and lubing the clutch cable, two things:

(1), Engage the clutch slightly while in gear, the try shifting up (basically aligning gears in the gear box).

(2), If possible, shift into neutral BEFORE coming to a full stop (say 3-5 MPH)..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A thought...Since it seems that it goes into neutral easily with the engine off it may be an issue with the engine oil. I've had a few occasions where my clutch disengagement seemed like there was a problem with the clutch plates/disks clearing. Almost like there was less clearance between disk and plate. Once the engine oil was warmed it was different. Maybe the oil is not right. Has there been a long time the oil has been sitting or is a different oil than usual than has been introduced into the bike. I heard people switch the oil and then shifting etc was all smooth.. :)
Also, if not mentioned yet, make sure the shift lever and linkage are lubed and have proper clearance for full operation.

Al3x2015

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry it has been so long since I have updated this thread, been out of town for work the past 2 months. But looking at the bike it seems that my clutch cable is bad and half of the strands are broken at the lever. I replaced the cable and it fixed the issues that I was having! Thankyou everyone who has helped me out!