bike shudders when coming to a stop

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
This has happened to me two or 3 times now. I have an '08 fz6 bought used with about 15k on it... I have put another 500 or so miles on her and just recently I noticed a shudder when coming to a stop. The first time it happened I thought I didnt pull the clutch enough but I now I dont think that was it because this last time it happened I had the clutch in about half an inch from the grip which is way more than enough to dis-engage the trans. I also noticed this last time that the engine was not warm I think it was only about 100-120 degrees. I can't remember if the engine was cold when this happened the first time tho.

Also it only happens once and I can ride all day long without it happening again. I am thinking that maybe it is something that I did to the bike when working on it but I am not sure. I recently disconnected the battery when checking out how to do the dual headlight mod. the only other thing I have done to the bike was clean and lube the chain.

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
I notice this if I take off and have to brake hard early.

Might be the brakes haven't warmed up and causes the shudder.

you know I was breaking a little hard at the time and I was so focused on the clutch I didn't notice if I came off the breaks or not when it happened. I will try to pay more attention next time.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you checked the steering head bearings ?? May need to tighten/replace them... Front wheel balance , that can cause a shudder.. Warped front rotor.. :don'tknow: They are the obvious places I would start looking :thumbup:

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you checked the steering head bearings ?? May need to tighten/replace them... Front wheel balance , that can cause a shudder.. Warped front rotor.. :don'tknow: They are the obvious places I would start looking :thumbup:

could it still be the bearing if it only happens once when I first start riding? are there other symptoms for the head bearing that I should look for as well?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you drops gears rapidly w/out throttle it can easily get the rear tire hopping. Any chance you where doing that when braking hard?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the clutch plates are sticking when the engine/engine oil is cold. I'd start by changing the oil and filter to a Non oil conserving oil.

I'd personally put in at least a semi synthetic oil (I use Motul 10w40 5100).

Also, before starting out, pull and release the clutch lever several times before starting to help release the plates.

Obviously, make sure the free play at the clutch lever end is correct..

All the above suggustions are also something to check as well. Also, besides checking the front rotors, check the brake pads.

If you get the front wheel off the ground, turn the forks to one side and put something (thin screwdriver) to the edge of the rotor and spin the wheel slowly. You shouldn't see any side to side motion to speak off. The round fasteners that attach the steel rotor to the wheel mount allow the rotor to float or slightly move. You may have some fasteners frozen making the rotor wobble slightly..

Also, if non of the above sugustions pan out, try stopping just using your rear brake and see if the symptoms are still there. That would point you towards the front end or clutch...

Good luck.

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
ok it is the breaks that is doing it but I am not sure why... the pads are about half warn and the rooters are bolted on tight.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ok it is the breaks that is doing it but I am not sure why... the pads are about half warn and the rooters are bolted on tight.

Great you got it narrowed down...

I'd put the bike on the center stand, raise the front end (I'd use a sizzor jack with a small 2x4 under the header).

Then rotate the front wheel holding something stationary (I'd use a wire coat hanger clamped to something tire high-stool) and put it against the rotor. Your looking for any run out.

They are floating brake rotors but may be stuck from crap or possibly warped from the PO doing some super hard stops..

Some brake cleaner on the rivets (between the rotor and mount) wouldn't hurt either along with some air pressure. The brake cleaner shouldn't hurt the paint but I'd cover ANYTHING else it may come in contact with..

If the rotor itself is warped, time to go shopping..

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anybody fixed this by replacing either steering head bearings or front wheel bearings?

I have the same issue now, it only happens sometimes, and only with light/medium front brake application from ~20mph on down. Once it starts, it'll pretty much keep doing it as long as I have any pressure on the front brake until I come to a stop, or pick up speed again. It doesn't do it all the time or at higher speeds, so I'm pretty confident it's not warped rotors or an out-of-balance wheel.

I'm thinking either steering head or front wheel bearings, or maybe funkily worn brake pads. A couple months ago I towed it cross-country on my trailer, which makes me wonder if being strapped down tight and bouncing around didn't mess up the wheel bearings.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I pulled my front wheel after my last post. I've had a clicking from the front wheel that I figured was a damaged wheel bearing from moving, and this morning it got a freaky feeling like I had something loose in the front end. That part must have just been the road I was on, it went away after I turned onto the main road.

One wheel bearing had an itty bitty flat spot to it, the other was fine, and I couldn't feel anything wrong with my head bearings. Oh well, at least both are cheap, looks like I'll All Balls the whole front end here soon!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been told its glazed brake pads that cause this, I get it sometimes, but not every time, and if I release the brake and then re-apply its not there, so not sure if that helps the conversation or if it points to another issue. I only have about 4000km on the clock from new.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been told its glazed brake pads that cause this, I get it sometimes, but not every time, and if I release the brake and then re-apply its not there, so not sure if that helps the conversation or if it points to another issue. I only have about 4000km on the clock from new.

Off I go to take an angle grinder with a flap disc to my brake pads! :BLAA:

Been wanting better than stock pads, but they're still disturbingly thick, and my wallet is... not so much!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Off I go to take an angle grinder with a flap disc to my brake pads! :BLAA:

Been wanting better than stock pads, but they're still disturbingly thick, and my wallet is... not so much!

A quick scruffing on a flat concrete sidewalk/driveway will do the same thing however you'll have a bit more control and not knock off as much at once... :) I'd apply some brake cleaner after that...

max power

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought a new fz6n in 2005. had same problem with it after 5 or 6wks. shuddering at low speed. it was left in under warranty, they replaced discs, no joy. turned out it was the brake pads. they were replaced with harder compond ones. sorted:thumbup: