Bike shop should be ashamed

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry but she should know better. There is no excuse for being dumb.

I won't buy a helicoper today. Not because I don't want to (well don't have $ but that's not rhe point...) but because I CAN'T FRIGGIN' FLY ONE.......

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well hope that this young woman will take the MSF course, learn how to operate the bike she bought safely with out going down on it.
She just needs to learn her limits.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
:rof::rof::rof: :thumbup:

Indeed, well put.

I've know more than a few who went out and bought a 'Busa as their first bike. That's what they wanted, they had the money, and they were going to get one one way or another. I don't fault anyone for not talking them out of it. I don't think any ended up dead or ground beef, though I know plenty ended up selling their bike at the end of the same season.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe if you have started on a 250, and if you did, stayed on a 250 for about a year, you may have not crashed. The point is, the smaller bikes are much more lighter and much more foregiving.

Those two things alone can be the difference whether you crash or not. You said you got bored? I think you are missing the point, you should focus on improving your skills rather than having the power of the bike dictate your ride.

It's amazing and truthfully very scary to watch some people show up on their bikes and watch them attempt to negotiate around other bikes and people. They have or lack very little control. Anybody can ride in a straight line. I

I think for the first crash I might have been able to save it if I was on a 250, because the back end wouldn't have slid as far out on the gravel. The second crash I would have never been in the situation in the first place on a 250 because I couldn't have rocketed from 25-70mph in 2 seconds.

I agree improving skills is much better than the bikes power dictating the ride. I've done nothing but work on skills since the second crash, took the Advanced Rider Course, work on those skills, ride every day and have over 3000 miles without incidence.

I'm just guessing this young lady isn't going to get crazy on the bike the same way a guy would (or myself). I think if she's smart and knows self-control and has enough mechanical/physical skill to manage the machine, she should be fine. She should take the classes and just be smart. When she starts to get the hang of it, then drop the hammer coming off the line every now and then. Only one way to get better at something is to do it.

BTW I work that slow speed stuff all the time and love it. I rolled on a stoplight the other day and kept feet up the whole time for about a 12 count (I started with 9 counting down on the ped sign), I got so excited that I almost revved too much and dropped the clutch to lift the wheel up a little when it turned green. I was giggling like a school girl. Too me that is half the fun because you can have a very skillful accomplishment for yourself and then goof up the next minute. Staying safe for all of it is important, but it's half the entertainment in riding to celebrate the highs and lows.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Well hope that this young woman will take the MSF course, learn how to operate the bike she bought safely with out going down on it.
She just needs to learn her limits.

I was surprised that my fazer could do almost anything better than some SS bikes when I took my MSRC. We even had a guy on a ninja 1000 eat **** on the figure 8.

And yes another guy had one of those Agusas (I call it the dark knight bike) it was so damn cool. The price tag on the other hand....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was surprised that my fazer could do almost anything better than some SS bikes when I took my MSRC. We even had a guy on a ninja 1000 eat **** on the figure 8.

And yes another guy had one of those Agusas (I call it the dark knight bike) it was so damn cool. The price tag on the other hand....

For 1/4 the price of an Augusta, not to mention the maintainance costs, I'd take the FZ hands down. Great all round bike, low maintainance and user friendly maintainance. It'll friggin scream when you want it to as well...

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
We even had a guy on a ninja 1000 eat **** on the figure 8.

There is nothing more embarrassing than low end skills on a high end bike.

These idiots would get more respect if they could handle crap bikes well.....and in reality, nothing advances your skills more than the rider learning to compensate for the limitations of the the bike!

The rider maketh the bike.....not the other way round!

jecon462

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the Ninja 250 and new 300 need to be given more credit especially by the new riders. I have ridden both and think they are a blast to ride (I enjoy the back road twisties not doing 130mph on the highway). The Ninja 250 was never anything special to look at but while riding a 300 I was told I had a nice zx6. If the look of the bike was why people wouldn't buy a small bike I think the 300 has eliminated that factor.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I started on a Ninja 250 and it was more fun to ride than the FZ6 in every way except straight line acceleration. But I do crave the speed occasionally so the 250 just didn't cut it anymore.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
There is nothing more embarrassing than low end skills on a high end bike.

These idiots would get more respect if they could handle crap bikes well.....and in reality, nothing advances your skills more than the rider learning to compensate for the limitations of the the bike!

The rider maketh the bike.....not the other way round!

Yep, nothing to do with the bike, everything to do with the rider. :rolleyes: Although I'd say a beginner bike will probably do better in the hands of the same rider than a supersport if the rider doesn't have the skills attempting to do the same thing on each bike.

I had a friend who used to eat literbikes alive at the dragstrip on a GSXR600. He had plenty of experience, a lot of the folk buying literbikes bought one because it was cool, and didn't know how to handle it. By the time they got done trying to keep their front end down, he was past the 330'. His bike wasn't faster or quicker, but his skills were better.

FWIW while the 750 is pretty extreme and I'd probably pick up a cheap beater to learn on for fear of trashing it, I don't subscribe to the "OMG she's automatically gonna die!" theory. My throttle has never become animated and turned itself, and I gotta imagine the first time one lets their right wrist outthink their brain on that thing, it'll give them a healthy respect for what they're sitting on.

FZ6WA

Reaction score
Visit site
I just don't understand what motivated her to buy a supersport right off the bat, with absolutely no experience. I don't even have my bike yet, but I knew I was going to take the MSF course no matter what, even if I could get the endorsement taking just the test. I learned a great deal of slow speed manuevers in the MSF class, and those were with light 200cc bikes..

TL;DR, why would anybody buy a motorcycle without a MSF class, and especially a supersport at that..

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just don't understand what motivated her to buy a supersport right off the bat

They look uber cool???

I don't know how it is in other states, but when I took the course, we had tiny little 250's to use. Feet flat on the ground and super easy to control.
Really gives you alot of confidence.
But then I bought the FZ6. It had so much more everything, it scared the crap outta me for awhile. But I learned, just as I hope she will......without doing herself or anyone else any harm.

FZ6WA

Reaction score
Visit site
They look uber cool???

I don't know how it is in other states, but when I took the course, we had tiny little 250's to use. Feet flat on the ground and super easy to control.
But then I bought the FZ6. It had so much more everything, it scared the crap outta me for awhile. But I learned, just as I hope she will......without doing herself or anyone else any harm.

She didn't even have a MSF course under her belt. This is what I don't get. And she didn't even test drive it, so shes either stupid, or stupid.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
They look uber cool???

How could the Fz6 scare you? The only time the Fz6 scared me was when I slid on the gravel and crashed.

Get an FZ1, that's scary, and so much fun.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first started riding it did scare me.....and I now ride an FZ1 ;)

Awesome, I bet you love the Fz1. I like the Fz1 so much more than the Fz6. I know I haven't always been the smartest/best rider but I've learned a couple hard lessons and am in love with Fz1.

I'm not dissing on the Fz6 either by the way, I think it's a great starter bike. Easy to handle, enough go power to make it interesting and decent enough ergo's.

BTW I'm surprised that on the Fz6 forum that more people in this thread haven't suggested that she start on an Fz6. In fact Yamaha has turned the Fz6 into the Fz6R to attract more female riders as part of their appeal to the female market. I know people love the 250 as a starter, but the Fz6 is pretty darn light and flickable with a lot more power than a 250. I think most women could handle the Fz6 pretty easy.

http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/Frugal_Fun_2009_Yamaha_FZ6R.aspx

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
How could the Fz6 scare you? The only time the Fz6 scared me was when I slid on the gravel and crashed.

Get an FZ1, that's scary, and so much fun.

It's all relative.

How could the FZ6 NOT scare someone coming from a smaller, lighter, lower, and much less powerful bike? The first time I went WOT on my Ninja 250 after buying it, it was surprisingly quick and I was not expecting it. Felt very fast to me. When I first got on the FZ6 for a test drive after riding my 250 for a year, the height, weight, and power greatly intimidated me. It pulled SO hard when I opened up the throttle in first gear. It was exhilarating, but definitely scary. If someone got on an FZ6 right after the MSF and just gunned it (underestimating the power), they could EASILY lose control and scare the living crap out of themselves at best, hit a tree or car at worst. And compared to the GSXR 750, the FZ6 is tame. Now, this is coming from a 21 year old guy. So of course I'm gonna go WOT right after buying a new vehicle just to see what it can do.

I'm not dissing on the Fz6 either by the way, I think it's a great starter bike.

It most definitely isn't a great starter bike IMO. This based partly on the fact that you crashed it within two weeks, but mostly because of its weight, height, and 98 HP...

A "starter" bike really shouldn't have more than 50 HP at most, and be lower, lighter, and easier to handle for someone who is unaccustomed to motorcycles.

Last edited: