Bike on bike rack

Flyinace1

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this sounds nuts, but I just got into mountain biking but I don't own a car, just my FZ6. I've been using my girlfriends car to haul my bike but then I remembered a picture I had seen of a bicycle on a motorcycle and figured I give it a shot.

The 1st step is figuring out a concept. I've looked at a number of pictures and threads about this topic and it seems that the best way will be to have the frame on one side and the wheels on the other or the frame sitting off the pillion seat but with the bottom bracket sitting just over the pipes and the wheels detached and also sitting on the pillion seat.

These two methods seem like the best for keeping a somewhat low profile as well as not having a lot of weight hanging off the back of the bike and high up like some of the set ups I've seen.

What do you guys think? And where do you think the best mounting points would be? I figured I may be able to rig something up that holds onto the grab rails, and then it'd be removable so my gf could still ride with me.

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Go to Dirt Rag's website, Justin Stiener reviewed the 2X2 and really liked it. As long as you aren't riding a 40 pound DH rig, it should be ok. :D

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive put mine on the givi rack and bunjee it down. Gotta take the tires off too or i wont have any lean angle. I have been trying to find something more purpose built, though, for longer rides with it other than the 10 min to my local trails.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't you mount it like a trailer? Remove the front wheel and bolt down the fork to a custom hitch such that the bike can pivot up and down on it. That way the rear wheel rolls over bumps and turns with the bike. Just ti the front wheel to the bike.
Dunno, just a thought. They have one-wheel trailers for motorcycles that work the same way.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know I've seen a guy at the local trail that managed to get his bike attached to his BMW (motorcycle).

Wish I knew enough to help :(

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't you mount it like a trailer? Remove the front wheel and bolt down the fork to a custom hitch such that the bike can pivot up and down on it. That way the rear wheel rolls over bumps and leans with the bike. Just tie the front wheel to the bike.
Dunno, just a thought. They have one-wheel trailers for motorcycles that work the same way.

The only problem i see with that is the rear tire would wear out VERY quickly. And the bicycle components aren't designed to move that fast for that long; the rear axle and especially freewheel/cassette or w.e. This would be a great idea if you could put the rear wheel onto ANOTHER wheel that is designed for such use. Ive actually been trying to plan something like this! If i do it will definitely be posted.

Flyinace1

Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt a bicycle isn't built for handling constant high speed so I wouldn't want to pull it, not to mention how fast the tire and chain would wear out.

I'd also prefer not to buy a rack when I'm sure it could be done cheaper by myself and that it will be specifically designed for my bike

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had a thought. What about mounting a flat vertical bracket to the frame/seat post area of the bicycle and installing a top case rack on the fz, so the bicycle was vertical with the wheels facing rearward? The front and rear wheels could remain attached without messing with your cornering ability as long as the rear wheel is cleared.

You may even be able to cobble together a quick disconnect by cutting the bottom off a cheap top case and using the mating components.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I just had a thought. What about mounting a flat vertical bracket to the frame/seat post area of the bicycle and installing a top case rack on the fz, so the bicycle was vertical with the wheels facing rearward? The front and rear wheels could remain attached without messing with your cornering ability as long as the rear wheel is cleared.

You may even be able to cobble together a quick disconnect by cutting the bottom off a cheap top case and using the mating components.

If you could make this work with an existing luggage rack you could sto still take the front tire off so it's not way in the air