bike not starting, ER-1 code, battery charged

SheriL

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike won't start, getting ER-1 code and orange engine light above the green neutral on. The battery is fully charged and always on a tender. Everything we can find out about this is the ECU malfunction. Is this an extensive and expensive repair?

paperpirate

Reaction score
Visit site
had the same after i dumped it in a suprise snow storm on way home in jan/ feb time this year. when i got it home had this message so waited till the snow had gone, bump started it and went for a ride at higher than normal revs. never had it show again after that so maay just need bumping

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't have a service manual then get over to Boneman's Fz6 site and grab one. According to the manual this is an indication that the instrumentation is not talking to the ecu. They say test main and sub connections, otherwise it is the ecu or the dash instrument.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Did you have any tip overs, do any recent work, ANYTHING NEW to the bike? Jump start from a running car? Wash it, etc?

**Also, can you post the year bike, maybe up in your signature. In some cases it does make a difference...

From the tech section:

Fault code: Er-1
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: No signals are received from the ECU
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open or short circuit in wiring sub lead.
Malfunction in meter.
Malfunction in ECU.

Its very rare the ECU just dies for no reason. A bad connection/pin loose/corroded where the harness plugs into the ECU is much more likely. Get to the ECU, and gently release the retainer clip and pull the harness. Look VERY CLOSE at the pins, checking, again for corrosion, a pin pushed back into the harness(not connecting) etc... Peeking at the back of the plug as well is sometimes revealing..

Motogiro or Finalimpact (or other helpfull members)will chime in should you not find anything doing the above...

I'd disconnect the battery just for safety reasons (and don't accidentally cause any damage)

PM sent

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

Scott has what I believe is the info you're looking for. I would start by checking the plug at the ECU as well as other plugs.

There have been cases of vermin making nests in bikes/cars and chewing wires and plastics.