Bike not starting after taking out the fuel pump

killereef

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought 05 fz6 and had the almost same problem as Mduhon with his "lurching" problem. I wished I'd read his thread 1st before talking to a Yamaha repair tech. He was thinking it was a clog in the in the fuel pump screen, so I had removed it to clean the screen. Aflter cleaning and installing the pump the bike would run for about a second or two then dies. The fuel pump sound like its working properly. Anyone knows whats going on?

Last edited:

killereef

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed when I was trying the drain the tank I unplug the gas line and the gas would not run. Now when I am having this problem, when I unplug that same line the gas would gush out. HELP....

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Well of course it won't run with the fuel pump out. :BLAA:

Sorry, had to. My first guess would be that the pump primes fine, but doesn't run right after that. It'll only run just longer than a cough with the primed system but no flow after.

I've never messed with the fuel pump on the FZ6, but some fuel pumps come with a prime mode/circuit and a regular mode/circuit. I'd check and make sure you didn't forget a screw or put something in backwards. It happens to the best of us. I didn't put the float back on when I swapped out tanks a few days ago. I had to dig in the manual to see what the blinking fuel gauge meant. Not that I'm one of "the best of us." ;)

killereef

Reaction score
Visit site
On the connection: their are only two electrical plug. One is for the fuel gauge and the other is for the fuel pump. Both seem to be working. On the pump itself, their are only three connectors and those connectors are different sizes so its hard not to connect those properly. Their is one fuel line. Why did the fuel not run out of the connector when I first disconnected the line and not it run, maybe its nothing? Could it also be air in the line? Do I just disconnected the fuel pump again?

Last edited: