bike finally dropped

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
Everybody said it would happen and I refused to believe it. But, it fell on its side last night.. while I was sleeping. It was on the centerstand, and apparently the asphalt doesn't like the scorching temps we had here yesterday.

Luckily, the cover was on and some cardboard broke the fall. Only one minorrr chip on the blue side panel, and I had to put the rear brake lever in my bearing press to straighten it out again.

Lesson learned, I guess I'll start using the flattened coke can trick.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
thats a new one on me ...how does this flattened coke can thing work then ?
Dare i ask at the risk of being a silly question :D

The "flat coke can" trick is a DIY version of the Parking puck.

It basically creates a bigger platform/surface on which the sidestand rests, so there is more surface on the ground to support the weight, so less weight/pressure per surface :)

Grtz,

Degake

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
thats a new one on me ...how does this flattened coke can thing work then ?
Dare i ask at the risk of being a silly question :D

It adds more surface area to the base of the stand, distributing the weight.

I actually forgot to put my puck under the stand yesterday. I hope the bike is still standing when I get home!

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're a renter, you MIGHT be able to get your landlord to compensate for that damage. No temperature in any inhabited part of earth should be able to damage properly cared for concrete like that. I think that concrete may need some care or repair. And really since you were asleep, are you sure some friendly neighbor didn't bump it?

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a good thought, but this happened at my job where I keep my bike. So, I can't blame anyone but myself or the pavers for the strength of our asphalt. And, I know that gravity was the only perpetrator because it was locked behind our fence. This is what I get for being too lazy/hot to move cars around and park the bike in its spot indoors.

If you're a renter, you MIGHT be able to get your landlord to compensate for that damage. No temperature in any inhabited part of earth should be able to damage properly cared for concrete like that. I think that concrete may need some care or repair. And really since you were asleep, are you sure some friendly neighbor didn't bump it?

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
I left my bike on the center stand with the cover on it 10-14-2009. Went to work in the car and the wind started blowing. Seriously the worst wind I have ever seen. Came home and the bike was down... Fortunately the tank was spared.

My insurance covered it and the bike has been fine since. Last time I left my bike on the center stand outside.

(I didn't have a garage at the time, pictures were taken at a friend's house)

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Everybody said it would happen and I refused to believe it. But, it fell on its side last night.. while I was sleeping. It was on the centerstand, and apparently the asphalt doesn't like the scorching temps we had here yesterday.

Luckily, the cover was on and some cardboard broke the fall. Only one minorrr chip on the blue side panel, and I had to put the rear brake lever in my bearing press to straighten it out again.
Lesson learned, I guess I'll start using the flattened coke can trick.

I came into work the other day and the jack wheel on one of the boat trailers had sunk halfway down into the asfault....several checks on the bike were made through out the day:thumbup:

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
\ No temperature in any inhabited part of earth should be able to damage properly cared for concrete like that. I think that concrete may need some care or repair.

I've noticed after an 8 hr stint in 85 deg weather my stand is about 3/4 inch in on many different patches of asphault, pavement. good hard "garage" concrete should be fine I think. pavement sinks like dirt if its hot enough.

coke can trick works wonders

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed after an 8 hr stint in 85 deg weather my stand is about 3/4 inch in on many different patches of asphault, pavement. good hard "garage" concrete should be fine I think. pavement sinks like dirt if its hot enough.

coke can trick works wonders

Ouch! I've never noticed, but I'll keep an eye out this summer. I may keep my puck with me at all times if I see sinking like that.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The "flat coke can" trick is a DIY version of the Parking puck.

It basically creates a bigger platform/surface on which the sidestand rests, so there is more surface on the ground to support the weight, so less weight/pressure per surface :)

Grtz,

Degake

Damn - always thought it was to dissipate the heat! :BLAA: lol

OP - Sorry! I can feel your pain from afar. . . :(

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I've parked and watched my bike start to sink in my driveway(asphalt) at home as soon as I got off. Ever since I have only used my center stand wherever I go, except gas stations/other places that have concrete parking. Center stand is the same idea that was mentioned earlier, more surface area contacting the ground.

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine sank while on the center stand... Even though there are two points of contact, I think the side stand is safer... Much more weight supported by the tires, and less by the stand.

I've parked and watched my bike start to sink in my driveway(asphalt) at home as soon as I got off. Ever since I have only used my center stand wherever I go, except gas stations/other places that have concrete parking. Center stand is the same idea that was mentioned earlier, more surface area contacting the ground.