Bike didn't want to lean

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, this is blowing my mind and I don't like it. On my usual ride home the other day, I went to take a turn and the bike didn't want to lean. It literally felt like it was fighting me to stay upright. I almost ended up in some guys front yard. Normally, the thing tries to fall down every chance it gets and suddenly we're playing a different game.

Anyway, scared the **** out of me so I stopped and check the tires, brakes, and suspension. No issues. Tires aren't low, brakes aren't seized or dragging, suspension works like it should. I even went back and check the road to see if I was in a weird patch of asphalt - nothing. Jumped back on the bike and rode like a sissy for the last few miles home just in case it did it again. Nothing.

I've ridden about 90-100 miles per day back and forth to work all spring/summer/fall and haven't noticed anything weird until this. I've never experienced this before. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We know that counter steering is the major event that causes the bike to lean and fall into the turn. The first thing I would, after tires, is check are steering head bearings and front wheel bearing.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Initial check on the steering was crisp and tight like it should be. Not stiff or any other weirdness. Tire pressure is on.

I'm at a bit of a loss on how to describe it. It wasn't much of a turn but the countersteer is really minimal on it. The combined countersteer and lean just didn't mesh right. The countersteer felt okay but it didn't start to fall left, which was odd. I even put some weight into it and it felt like it was "fighting" me.

My best guess is the front wheel bearing but it's been raining old-testament style since the day this happened and I haven't been able to check. The last wheel bearing I experience a problem with (different bike) made the whole thing shake and buck in a turn (also scary).

All things considered - the tires are good so the most expensive part of the equation is solid. Wheel bearings are cheap enough and so are steering bearings (if they are the problem).

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am guessing here, but I remember a story about John Hopkins going off at high speed when one of his forks failed to compress. Like all troubleshooting start with the simple (steering head bearing or perhaps some interference from wiring or other mods in the front). But put this on the list in case you get into the unknown.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno. I do know that I'm going to be a puss on this thing for a while if I don't find an obvious problem. Getting close to the end of the riding season (at least, when I'll ride for an hour at 5:30 in the morn). I want to get this nugged out before I park the bike.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I rode along this seam where the asphalt sections join each other. Lets say on a good day, this seam would be under the lines dividing the highway and go unnoticed. This was not the case here. In this case, potholes to the right, tree parts to the left leaving a "good section" of clean. smooth usable corner. The downside was the tiny seam joining the pore lines of the asphalt sections. Seeings I was leaned over and at a pretty good clip and this "joint was my line" for about 3 bike lengths, it felt pretty strange as it made the bike want to fall in initially and stand it up later.

No harm no foul. But after heading through it, I asked myself how other might have acted/reacted as it upset the bike a fair amount.

It seems similar to what may have happened to you but maybe not? 100 miles a day! I'm done at 50 a day, can't imagine doubling it! Well not at the hours/crawling speed I do...

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
The mileage isn't bad. It's mostly highway, between 70-90 mph (depends if I'm passing schoolbusses). It could have been the road, I guess, but I didn't see anything that excited me. Anyway, it's still raining for the apocalypse here so....

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting chicken strips from all the highway miles but they aren't THAT bad....

Mine also didn't look that bad. I will try to make pictures for you later today as mine are just around point to be replaced so you can see how it looks like now.

One way to see how bad it is, is comparing depth of thread on "wear knobs" between side and center. My good tires were about the same. Bad ones where off by ~2-3mm.

Last edited:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested to see how bad it is. The handling seems fine normally. I'm sure new tires would blow me away but that's not in the cards for this year.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be an indication of my problem but.... those don't look flat compared to what I have.

And no, not too many corners. I've got 5 miles of town, on-ramp, 5 miles highway, exit ramp, 30 miles highway, hard left, 5 miles highway, arrive at work. There's long sweeping curves along the way but rarely enough to get a knee down unless you want to eat corn or soybeans.

Route to Work

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I was saying that my tires are a lot flatter than that.....

Checked brake drag when I first stopped because that was my second though after... "****-me, flat tire".

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
2013-10-07213505.jpg

As jacked up as that looks, it doesn't normally cause handling issues.