Bike Dead, Please help.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's also a main 30 amp fuse that usually sits in an assembly atop the battery. There should be the starter interrupt relay attached. Lift and prop the tank. Look to see this is attached properly(insulated etc) and that the fuse is good. Pull the 30 amp fuse or disconnect the battery! Fuses are meant to protect circuits and prevent fires. The fuse is the highest warning, other than a fire or burned components, you'll receive to tell you, you have a problem that must be fixed properly. Do not replace any fuses at this point! Inspect the wires exiting the frame and make sure they are insulated. If you're pulling wires lock to lock with the steering you need to fix that.If you don't find a problem in the this area proceed on the concept we discussed before about a problem with a pinched wire at the steering.

I would cut the sheath longwise where you think it may have been pinched.
You'll find a heavy red wire a heavy brown with blue tracer wire. A lighter gauge white with blue tracer and a lighter gauge blue with black tracer wire. These are the wires to and from the ignition switch that are powered off that 30 amp main fuse. Take your time! (I sound like yer dad huh!) Well son....Good luck with your mission! :)

Written like P R O!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure how the other manufactures reduce the mechanical strain on those wires but the way they're tied in there puts some strain on them.

I suppose we should do a writeup on how to properly repair a harness. I will say that I have allot of odds and ends around but nothing to prepare me for a repair like that. FWIW: any wire that has crush, over heat, burn, and or strain damage from being flexed needs replaced. The issue here is you can splice it where it used to flex and the strain at that joint increases when the wire(s) have to flex even more from butt connectors/solder splices etc.

My point: you must make repairs in an area that is not subject to motion or it will fail again.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Written like P R O!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure how the other manufactures reduce the mechanical strain on those wires but the way they're tied in there puts some strain on them.

I suppose we should do a writeup on how to properly repair a harness. I will say that I have allot of odds and ends around but nothing to prepare me for a repair like that. FWIW: any wire that has crush, over heat, burn, and or strain damage from being flexed needs replaced. The issue here is you can splice it where it used to flex and the strain at that joint increases when the wire(s) have to flex even more from butt connectors/solder splices etc.

My point: you must make repairs in an area that is not subject to motion or it will fail again.

Thanks for the "Addaboy"!
Yes! There is some movement on those wires through the frame I'm hoping his main fuse/starter interrupt relay assembly are not just floating around under the tank, I've seen FZ6's with all that loose and had to tie it down safe because the top of the battery case was gone. I've used that cool ribbed plastic sheathing to dress up and help protect the wires through the frame. The only time there's any movement should be near full lock of the steering.

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
OK Thanks a lot guys!

Let me sum it up real quick: the only thing I can do now is to cut open the section that exits the frame to fix any pinched/damaged wire AFTER I disconnect the battery/pull the main fuse?

My FZ6 comes with a battery box top that is bolted down so I figured there's very little movement on it (vibration of course, but nothing like floating).

If the main fuse is blown should the tach still display clock? Or should there be a total power loss on everything? Because as of right now the clock is still on. And yes, signals work, horn works.

All this electrical stuff is driving me nuts :D remember the time when I was still riding the Soviet Minsk back in my home country, everything that stalls the bike must be the spark plug lol

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
Just checked the 30amp fuse again. Turn out there are two of them :-o

The one on the right is very easy to take off. I pulled it out and saw that the two prongs are still connected like new.

The on the left took a little of force and dexterity to take out. I might have used too much finger force as soon as I pulled it out the clock on the tach went off and the fuse slipped off of my hand into the frame. It's too dark outside to look for it so I decided to put the whole bike under the cover and will wait till daylight. But it seems to be intact too since the moment it came off, the clock shutdown.

Does that ring any bells for you Motogiro and FinalImpact?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:BLAA:
Does that ring any bells for you Motogiro and FinalImpact?

Does not ring any bell any more cuz you pulled the main fuse! :BLAA:

You're awesome Bro! :)

LOL! Yes! There is a spare 30 amp fuse. I would leave the fuses out for now and go where you think the wires have been damaged and get the wiring repaired.

Last edited:

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha that's what I thought too. Just wanted to make sure I didn't leave out anything before actually cut the wire! Should I be safe to leave the fuse inside the frame (I think I have a battery bolt that fell into that dark pit too, replaced it with new bolt because didn't have time/tools/skills to dismantle the bike to look for it). I'm just gonna pop in the spare and leave the fuse in there if it's ok to do so.

How long should I cut along the wire? And is soldering the only option for broken wire?