Best Way To Prevent Bike From Starting?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

I lost a key to my bike somewhere between my parking space and my apartment. It's only a 50ft walk, but a well travelled path by other tenants. None of my neighbors claim to have found it. So, security measures must be taken as I smell a rat or two.

I keep the bike chained and will change the lock tomorrow, as that key was also lost. I also put two disc locks on as of tonight, and have used the usual series of "in gear" "kill switch" and "kickstand down" things that might confuse a hurried thief as to how to get the bike started.

So, someone may have the key to my seven year old bike, but they'll have a heck of a time getting it started and rolling along. But, they can get it started, at least.

What I want to know is if there is a wire or plug or....anything that can be done a novice thief with a key would not think to check that might keep the bike from starting with a key? Something I can do easily when I park the bike overnight to keep the bike from starting, and undo easily to start the bike the next day?

I am going to triple up on the disc locks, double up on the padlocks for the chain (bike is chained down), and get a cheap motion sensor alarm for overnight. But if someone has my key.....waaah!

I'm a bit paranoid. Bike is insured, but i love her and don't want her gone!! :(

Last edited:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
me again

is this what i need to change keys / ignition switch? is it a DIY job? anything i should know before tacking the job? these bikes seem finicky what with all the electronics and cut off switches and what not. but if a simple "plug and play" job i'd have no prob changing out switches if it can be done reliably

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yiding-Ignition-Switch-Lock-Keys/dp/B00BV38PG6"]Amazon.com: Yiding Ignition Switch Lock and Keys for YZF R1 Fz6 R6 R6s: Automotive[/ame]

EDIT: ok forget all that ignition switch stuff. i just read up on it and it seems....involved to change it

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A good locksmith (or Yamaha would have someone) can re-key that ignition switch. They had a re-call on a certain year FJR for the ignition switch (08 maybe?). The guys complained about now having two keys. Yamaha eventually set up the re-call and had the new switches re-keyed.

Should you just want a new switch, PLEASE GO WITH OEM.

Either; Partzilla.com - OEM Powersports Parts from Honda, Kawasaki Polaris, Suzuki and Yamaha at discounts up to 80% off MSRP on-line, etc but get a YAMAHA switch. With that said, you will have to have the original for the seat lock and fuel tank. As for those being re-keyed, I'm sure its possible but haven't heard of it being done.

Something to look into, an alarm system. Some disable the ignition altogether depending on how you install it. I believe (but not sure) even with the key, you can disable it.

I suspect with time, if someone has the key and realize it doesn't work, they'll pitch it eventually.. What you did to disable is fine. You can always pull the main fuse (or fuel pump, etc), too.

Last edited:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
hello

found a post of yours from a couple months back. are these the fuses, there? all of them, i mean? they are under the right rear tail section / side faring, yes? my side faring is broke on the left side and i see some wires and plugs, but i don't see a fuse box or anything of that sort

http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=593278&postcount=7

Last edited:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
You could wire in an ignition disable switch, then hide it somewhere out of sight so only you know where to turn it on, another thought could be installing a switch on the starter button line, then they just think the battery is dead when they turn the ignition on and hit the starter but nothing happens.

I was going to do this with my '93 Tacoma as they're a bit of a hot ticket item for thieves around here, I ended up just pulling the EFI fuse every time I left it for a little while, that way it would turn over but never start and I figured they would just give up. But realistically if they really want something they are going to get it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of us were lucky enough to get keys w/ id tag. With the tag a key can be made. Unlock the bars and swap out the ignition barrel. You don't have to swap the switch but it will involve getting past the tamper proof security devices.
I pulled mine to powder coat the triple and it can be done pretty easy but you need the steering lock undone first.

As stated add remote switch of some kind. The efi fuse comes to mind but be wise and dont compromise the bikes reliability with hack job switch and wires.

Call the locksmith and get a quote asap if the key id tag is not an option. Does Yamaha have a database w/vin registration? IDK!

shannim

Reaction score
Visit site
This maybe obvious... but let all the air out of the tires? Nobody is going to ride your bike away if the tires are flat. And if they really want to steal your bike, they'd just lift it and put it in the back of a truck anyway. Chains, disc locks, etc. won't help with that regardless.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
This maybe obvious... but let all the air out of the tires? Nobody is going to ride your bike away if the tires are flat. And if they really want to steal your bike, they'd just lift it and put it in the back of a truck anyway. Chains, disc locks, etc. won't help with that regardless.

Noticing he is from California, I think he likely is able to ride year round for the most part... I would get pretty sick of getting an air compressor out etc. every time I wanted to go for a ride. Not to mention its probably not good for the tires to constantly inflate/deflate them or leave the bike sitting on deflated tires for any period of time

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hello

found a post of yours from a couple months back. are these the fuses, there? all of them, i mean? they are under the right rear tail section / side faring, yes? my side faring is broke on the left side and i see some wires and plugs, but i don't see a fuse box or anything of that sort

http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=593278&postcount=7

Its under the RIGHT side "pod", what sticks out just below your seat. (It should be in your owners manual)

There is one screw you have to remove (under the seat) to pull the "pod".

Theres an IGNITION and an EFI (ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION) fuse. Either pulled, will keep the bike from starting.

Just next to it, where it says"UP", is your tip over switch;

*BTW, if you need a S2 owners manual (that area is the same), PM me, I have it is a PDF file.

Last edited: