best touring screen

callumfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
i am currently planning a road trip from scotland to the south of france along to spain and back up the west coast of france. in total about 3500 miles. my standard screen doesnt give much protection and makes a lot of helmet noise, any sugguestions on the best screen and any tips on dulling the helmet noise. thanks everyone

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested in this as well. My bike is a 2007 fz6 and there is more wind then I'd like on a long day.

D

Dave.TX

The Vario is similar to installing a Laminar Lip which a lot of folks say works well on many different bikes.

I put on a MadStad windshield and was really happy with it. Cost was $300 USD though. Instead of buying and trying other windshields and deciding they did or didn't work I tried what seemed to be the best first and was happy with it. Sold the bike and it's now in the garage collecting dust. I should put it up for sale.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How tall are you? Your height plays an important role in wind deflection and whether you'll end up with more or less buffetting.
I'm 5'10", and have tried the following shields:
Stock, don't remember anymore how this serve me since I got rid of it within a month of getting my bike 5 years ago.
CalSci, great for highway rides with less turbulence specially when passing trucks.
Puig, seemed to have a nice windflow towards the chest with acceptable wind noise.
Currently using Givi 440D, has a little extension on the sides which works like wind deflectors for your hands. This is great for cooler than usual rides. Wind noise is acceptable. If I want complete silence I only have to tuck in a little without being uncomfortable.
Of course helmet design also plays to how much noise you're getting.
I'll try and take some pix of all the shields for your visual pleasure. Right now I'm enjoying my Givi shield.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
My '07 has a 22" Cee Bailey which seems fine. Cee Bailey
I have a couple of "straight cut" Cee Bailey screens for the FJR, and like 'em, a lot, but the 22" for the FZ6 came with that reverse lip, and I think it might makes more turbulence, but I have nothing to compare it too 'cept for the tiny stock one.
As mentioned above helmet type has a lot to do with it. I wear a SHOEI RF1100, and it's purdie quite.

callumfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks very much for the replies, I am only 5'7 my helmet is a flip up one make is something like Caberge or something, i have to wear a balaclava type head piece to dull the sounds but not looking forward to the heat of Spain with that on, anyone tried the Yamaha touring screen with a slip lip on the top

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
I went the other way and cut about five inches off the stock screen. Now, my helmet is in really clean air. There is no more buffeting.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered the 20 inch, $300, MadStad windshield. I'm 6'7" and plan to be on the highway quite a bit, so hopefully it was a good decidion. I'll probably loose some cool points on looks, but I need rein in some of that wind as it was beating me around pretty good.