Best Sprocket setup and Why

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, looking for some input on sprocket sizes. My rear is worn, should I replace with stock or change to smaller/bigger? What's the benefit? Thanks

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the rear one as-is. I'm running +1 on the front for easier cruising on the highway (lower rpm). It's must more popular to go the other way though (if you like a bit quicker start off the line).

If one is worn you should replace both sprockets at the same time (and likely the chain too).

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
In the rear: the more teeth you add, the faster you will accelerate. A very common change is +2 teeth in the rear for a total of 48.

In the front: The less teeth you have the faster you will accel. -1 tooth is very common. wouldnt go less.

I had the -1 in front and loved it. Just recently put on the +2 in the rear also. Only been down the road once. But its a wheelie monster even more now. Probably going to be good for the track.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock is a great balance of acceleration and top speed/highway cruising.

Going with a setup of -1, or -1 / +2 will net you insane acceleration.

Going with a setup of +1 in the front will slow you down a bit on the acceleration, but your cruising rpm's will be lower for the same speeds.

There is no true "best" setup. It depends what you want :)

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running -1 front +2 rear and love it way better than stock....the only thing thats kind of a drag is doing 85-90 on the freeway I'm between 8-9k rpms in 6th, but i got two bros slip ons and don't mind listening to the bike so it works for me :rockon:

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bikes not ready for a sprocket change yet, but I'd tend to keep in stock. :thumbup:Decent acceleration low, highway cruising revs none too high.