Best Insurance?

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to be with State Farm since I had my car through them but now with bike only go through Rider Insurance. It is just for bikes and only in the following states but worth checking out:
DELAWARE INDIANA MARYLAND NEW JERSEY
OHIO PENNSYLVANIA VIRGINIA WEST VIRGINIA

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
American family insurance by far is the cheapest for me. Currently paying about $90/month :spank: Just got quoted with AmFam for $22 a month....cheaper if i move my car and renters to them too, however for the car they want almost double what others want. So it looks like ill be splitting my policies and have the bike by its self.

All i can say is I wish I had done this sooner.

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
American family insurance by far is the cheapest for me. Currently paying about $90/month :spank: Just got quoted with AmFam for $22 a month....cheaper if i move my car and renters to them too, however for the car they want almost double what others want. So it looks like ill be splitting my policies and have the bike by its self.

All i can say is I wish I had done this sooner.

I will never go with American Family Insurance again. My mother got in an accident where the other drive blew a stop sign and slammed into my mother's driver side. She had to get a titanium plate put in her neck and it is difficult for her to move her head from side to side.

My mother had full coverage and underinsured motorist insurance. She got in the accident in 2007 and she has been trying to get this settled for almost six years now. The driver that hit her was underinsured, my mother has paid underinsured motorist insurance for over 10 years with AmFam and they are refusing to pay.

Unfortunately, at this point because of the court fees and paying the lawyers, my mom will be lucky if she breaks even. Her credit got ruined because she was unable to pay the doctor bills.

Auto insurance companies are the biggest scams out there. If I own a vehicle I am forced to pay for insurance that the company will try to get out of paying anyway if I am in an accident.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree they are such a rip off. Designed to keep the rich richer....oh and it gives us lil guys peace of mind.:Flip:

I will certainly keep that in mind, I imagine if i ever had to make a claim it would be because i am hurt. that would be awful not being able to collect. Geico made that super easy when i had a claim.

I will do a little more research before I pull the trigger. I forgot earlier I never got the quoute on my bike from progressive....hopefully they have better rates or comparable.

Job hunting, house hunting and insurance are my least favorite things to do.

teej21012

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Allstate, with home and 2 cars on plan as well, and I pay 16/month full coverage. Allstate also offers the winter break of coverage, or at least my agent reminds me come November :rockon:. Anything more than 20/month for this bike and you better go searching for a different insurance guy.

Bernoulli

Reaction score
Visit site
0 years experience and wanting an excellent plan (especially for theft) I'm starting out paying about $120/month but that'll certainly reduce once I take safety courses, have a bit of experience, and figure out parking (street with a weatherproof cover for now). My quote rates weren't too terribly different between the 'leading' insurance companies but I chose Progressive for starting out since it seems pretty no-hassle from what I've been told.

Ultimately, it depends on what kind of coverage you're looking to get I'm sure. We all live very different lifestyles.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: That's about as much as I pay for car, home, and bike insurance combined!

Probably young and/or got points. I used to get quoted something like $3k a year for full coverage/$500 deductible even for a sport tourer, when I was in my early 20s, even with a clean record. Age makes a HUGE difference in collision/comp rates.

Such things were what kept me from buying a bike until I could pay cash to avoid needing full coverage. The stupid cheap liability from being older is nice too.

Bernoulli

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably young and/or got points. I used to get quoted something like $3k a year for full coverage/$500 deductible even for a sport tourer, when I was in my early 20s, even with a clean record. Age makes a HUGE difference in collision/comp rates.

Such things were what kept me from buying a bike until I could pay cash to avoid needing full coverage. The stupid cheap liability from being older is nice too.

Spot on. I'm 23 with a clean 5 year driving record. And I probably went overboard on the insurance for the FZ6 but it's just starting out so I'm not terribly concerned. That includes a $100 theft deductible among other things I probably will remove over time.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Living a stones throw away from East Cleveland (crime stats), I get quoted really high for comprehensive. Age (24) doesn't help much either.

My anti theft insurance consists of the cops who set speed traps on the road behind my house and the fact that, when I park my cage in the driveway, you can't squeeze anything between it and the house on one side and fence on the other. That and keeping it in the locked garage helps to ward off curious passers by.

I have liability and medical payments, as well as a very good medical plan with my employer.

The main thing that scares me are deer and uninsured motorists (there are LOTS here - though I can't blame someone with a $200 car for not wanting to insure it).
Anything else is on me being stupid, and if the wreck is bad enough that I can't put the bike back together myself for the price of a $500 deductible, I've most likely got some bigger issues than a broken bike and won't be riding for a while, or may seriously reconsider my decisions about riding.

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
I am probably just going to stick with my liability insurance. I am so confused as to why it is so expensive for me (cheapest full coverage insurance I can get is $403).

Shelter Mutual offered me liability insurance for $77 a year and the cheapest liability I have found elsewhere is $200+ a year (I am not around my quotes right now, but I will give exact amounts later).

As I said before, I am 27 years old. I have been driving for 9 years and there is nothing on my record. No tickets, no accidents, nothing.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Spot on. I'm 23 with a clean 5 year driving record. And I probably went overboard on the insurance for the FZ6 but it's just starting out so I'm not terribly concerned. That includes a $100 theft deductible among other things I probably will remove over time.

My previous comment about cost vs. benefit is quite applicable here. ;)

Quote the difference between your $100 deductible, and $500. That's an extra $400 you (might) have to come up with IF something happens, but how long does it take to save that in lower premiums? Your premiums are a sunk cost... you pay them, they're gone, use it or not. Your deductible you only pay IF you have to use it. Besides, outside of unrecovered theft, you can always pinch pennies after the insurance estimate. In my experience, if there's a damage claim, it goes to a shop, and they find each and every part that's damaged in some way, and quote retail and labor to replace it. You can always source your own parts or do some of the light work yourself to save money. I always insist on getting a check myself and paying (whoever) to do the work, rather than letting insurance pay the shop, for exactly that reason.