Best Insurance?

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to Shelter Mutual Insurance because I know a guy who works there. I bought insurance from him, but he could ONLY get me LIABILITY! After looking a bit on the internet, it looks like I should be able to get Full Coverage.

I want Full Coverage because this bike is so damn easy to pick up and put into the bed of a pickup. I know, because when I bought it that's what we did. It was pretty easy.

So, what insurance do you guys have or suggest? I need to buy good insurance soon. Right now, my FZ6 is sitting out in the apartment complex's parking lot with a cover on it, two 20mm cables through the tires and the frame and another 12mm cable through the frame, steering column, tires, and wrapped around a light pole. Haha. Hey, it looks like crap, but I want that thing to stay put!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Flo makes me want to puke...
The Lizard needs to be stepped on....
I would shop it out with some agents where you live.
I had and still have Foremost Ins. They were fast & fair to me when the deer totaled my FJR.
+1 you need full coverage.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just liability thru Progressive and its $165 USD for the whole year.....I only have liability on everything I own because I'm a mechanic and I can fix my own stuff for fairly cheap..having a full shop and 3 lifts helps a bit too :D

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to Shelter Mutual Insurance because I know a guy who works there. I bought insurance from him, but he could ONLY get me LIABILITY! After looking a bit on the internet, it looks like I should be able to get Full Coverage.

I want Full Coverage because this bike is so damn easy to pick up and put into the bed of a pickup. I know, because when I bought it that's what we did. It was pretty easy.

Edited post*

Last edited:

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
I have DiaryLand Motorcycle Insurance. They are pretty fair with pricing given some of the other places I looked at. Geico in comparison wanted to charge me about $800/year for full coverage (no tickets on my record - the last one I had was 5+ years ago). DairyLand is charging me $450/year now. It was previously $600 ish, but they dropped it down when I told them I bought a house.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with State Farm and have full coverage. They pay, hassle free. I've read horror stories of riders trying to get payment from their insurance which drags on and on, while State Farm pretty much cuts you a check right on the spot. They don't even ask to see your receipts for your mods. I pay about $140 a yearfor everything, including an extra bump on my under insured motorist.

Having a park biked in an apartment complex is a prime target for bikes, read dozens of stories.

Last edited:

nnowatzk

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for State Farm. I pay about $12/month for full coverage and you can't beat the service. They won't let me take the bike off insurance during the winter, but at that price I can't complain.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I pay $85.00 a year to Nationwide for liability and comprehensive (fire, theft, etc.) coverage. In all fairness, I also have homeowners and some minimal business insurance with them also, so I probably get a 10% discount on the MC coverage. But for a used 2007 FZ6, that's cheap coverage.
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Progressive for USAA members
~187/year for liability + theft and $1,000 deductible for Personal Injury Protection (instead of $15,000!)
I'm married, 35, and a homeowner.
This is my first bike, and $50 per year goes towards a red light infraction that occurred in 2011.

Reaction score
Visit site
Progressive allows me to have liability & comp, without having to buy collision. And this year they reduced the rate about $90
What a welcomed surprise that was!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes that is what I have but unfortunately due to my red light infraction a couple years ago and relative inexperience, am paying double. Still MUCH cheaper than a car though. I pay 140/month for full coverage on two cars.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Progressive for USAA members
~187/year for liability + theft and $1,000 deductible for Personal Injury Protection (instead of $15,000!)
I'm married, 35, and a homeowner.
This is my first bike, and $50 per year goes towards a red light infraction that occurred in 2011.

Also with Progressive for USAA members. I pay $75/yr for full coverage, $100 deductable for comprehensive loss. Slightly discounted as I also have a homeowner policy with Progressive. 42, married, kids. And a clean driving record. (I've had my share of citations for various infractions...but for some reason my record does not reflect those violations! :thumbup:)

Damn, Pook... that red light infraction is killin' ya.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I'm with State Farm and have full coverage. They pay, hassle free. I've read horror stories of riders trying to get payment from their insurance which drags on and on, while State Farm pretty much cuts you a check right on the spot. They don't even ask to see your receipts for your mods. I pay about $140 a yearfor everything, including an extra bump on my under insured motorist.

X2, State Farm has been good to me over the past 20+ years I've been with them. When I layed my bike down 2 years ago, they paid about $750 more then I needed to fix the bike. I even told the adjusted I didn't need that much, but she said that's what my premiums were for and that what they agreed to pay.

However, I do pay a good bit more then Vegas. My 6 month premium is closer to $200 for full coverage plus extra uninsured motorist on the FZ (I do live in a different state, that may be why). I have a fairly clean record and have 3 other vehicles plus my home owners insurance with them.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Also with Progressive for USAA members. I pay $75/yr for full coverage, $100 deductable for comprehensive loss. Slightly discounted as I also have a homeowner policy with Progressive. 42, married, kids. And a clean driving record. (I've had my share of citations for various infractions...but for some reason my record does not reflect those violations! :thumbup:)

Damn, Pook... that red light infraction is killin' ya.

That equates to only $50/year. How many years riding experience do you have? I assume mine is so high because I'm a newbie.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That equates to only $50/year. How many years riding experience do you have? I assume mine is so high because I'm a newbie.

I stand corrected. I went to the USAA/Progressive website and started a quote application. Years riding experience is definitely the difference between our policies. I got a quote with 0 years experience and it was up around $200/yr.

The red light infraction from 2011 should go away soon I would think, and you'll also get a discount as your experience accumulates.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have shelter insurance and was really surprised when my agent said I couldn't get covered. I have progressive coverage atm for the fz6, but would love to have it covered with my other numerous shelter policies.

Last edited:

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Im actually switching soon, mine is almost double what my brother pays monthly. His bike is a 2005 FZ6 though so it should be a little cheaper.

From most expensive to least expensive. Geico, progressive and state farm. I currently have geico.

age, multiple policies, and many other factors affect your rates.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Flo makes me want to puke...
The Lizard needs to be stepped on....

FLO NEEDS TO GO!!!

I had mine through Progressive when i was under 25 because Amfam wouldnt touch me on a bike with a prior speeding.
So up intill this year i just ran liability on the 80's bike I was running. This spring I got a 2009 FZ6 and wanted full coverage. FLO wanted $719.00!!! per year.
I marched down to my old insurer American Family, and they quoted me $284 and some pennies. DONE DEAL

However, AmFam wont insure full on Sport bikes, like R6/R1's, CBRs, etc. But since the good old FZ6 is a "standard" motorcycle, its acceptable.

FYI, State Farm Came in at $307, Still quite respectable as compared to Progressive.

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
FLO NEEDS TO GO!!!

I had mine through Progressive when i was under 25 because Amfam wouldnt touch me on a bike with a prior speeding.
So up intill this year i just ran liability on the 80's bike I was running. This spring I got a 2009 FZ6 and wanted full coverage. FLO wanted $719.00!!! per year.
I marched down to my old insurer American Family, and they quoted me $284 and some pennies. DONE DEAL

However, AmFam wont insure full on Sport bikes, like R6/R1's, CBRs, etc. But since the good old FZ6 is a "standard" motorcycle, its acceptable.

FYI, State Farm Came in at $307, Still quite respectable as compared to Progressive.

I'm through Progressive (and am USAA member), 26, married no kids, rent my place and I'm paying $18/month for full coverage. Had an incident a few years back when I lived outside Philly - someone knocked over my bike in the middle of the night and of course didn't stick around (probably tried parking drunk). No problem with payment - I dropped my bike off at the shop for a quote, Progessive wrote them a check for the quote minus my deductible, then the shop cleaned up and repainted some of the old parts to reuse and bring the bill down so it only cost me about $100 to get everything fixed. :rockon:

Last edited: